Traded Chad Wingard [traded with future 3rd to Hawthorn for Burton, #15, #35 and future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically any club proposing this would be seriously deranged
Probably, but I don't see us trading out of the top end of the draft unless it is a deal too good to refuse.

It was suggested that the Saints may trade 4 for 10 and 15 because the points were similar.

I think the Freo - Port trade proved you need a hell of a lot to trade up this year and I believe the points they gave up in that trade were more than the trade I mentioned.

The fact that Wingard wants out and has nominated us puts us in a better position than having to give Burton and pick 15 IMO.
In a perfect fair world that may be a fair trade, but in this scenario where Chads relationship being toxic with PA really puts us in a more favourable position and we should hold out on having to offer Burton.
Pick 15 and next years 1st pick is what I think is fair all things considered.
Round and round we go.

A) seeking a top end contract does not mean the relationship is toxic.
B) he actually HAS a contract for 2019, so if Haw want to break it they probably have to pay overs.

Round and round we go.

A) seeking a top end contract does not mean the relationship is toxic.
B) he actually HAS a contract for 2019, so if Haw want to break it they probably have to pay overs.

Exactly, he is contracted and unless the deal is heavily in ports favour we should be keeping him.

Clearly has been told something in his exit interview he doesn't like, but if the deal doesn't get done have got 12 months to work on the relationship and chad to improve on what it is he has been told the problem is.

Exactly, he is contracted and unless the deal is heavily in ports favour we should be keeping him.

Clearly has been told something in his exit interview he doesn't like, but if the deal doesn't get done have got 12 months to work on the relationship and chad to improve on what it is he has been told the problem is.
Why does it have to be heavily in ports favour? Why can’t it be win/win?

Why does it have to be heavily in ports favour? Why can’t it be win/win?

Because he is contracted and players of Wingard's calibre don't come around all the time, if he was out of contract you'd expect a win/win deal.

I don't think Port want to get rid of him as people are making out, rather told him what is expected of him and perhaps he wouldn't just be gifted an extension and he'd need to earn it and should he not like it he is welcome to explore his options. As such wont trade him unless its too good to refuse.

Because he is contracted and players of Wingard's calibre don't come around all the time, if he was out of contract you'd expect a win/win deal.

I don't think Port want to get rid of him as people are making out, rather told him what is expected of him and perhaps he wouldn't just be gifted an extension and he'd need to earn it and should he not like it he is welcome to explore his options. As such wont trade him unless its too good to refuse.
Let's also remember it was Port that told Wingard to explore his options. He made it pretty clear early he was keen to stay. It is not as if someone has poached him from nowhere like Brisbane have with Lachie Neale.

Let's also remember it was Port that told Wingard to explore his options. He made it pretty clear early he was keen to stay. It is not as if someone has poached him from nowhere like Brisbane have with Lachie Neale.
I don't see that effecting the trade negotiations too much. Both want out and I think someone reported Neale has threatened to sit out next year. Yeah Port want him out but they also want a lot of value for him, so essentially both want out and are free agents next year. I'd say they're in similar situations they're just leaving for two different reasons.

I don't see that effecting the trade negotiations too much. Both want out and I think someone reported Neale has threatened to sit out next year. Yeah Port want him out but they also want a lot of value for him, so essentially both want out and are free agents next year. I'd say they're in similar situations they're just leaving for two different reasons.

So tell me, why do Port want Chad out of the club mate?

If Hawthorn are prepared to trade Burton, but Burton doesn't want to go to SA, what about...

Pick 15 + Burton to St Kilda for Pick 4. (Steak knives/pick swaps as appropriate).

Pick 4 for Wingard.

Port get a top 4 pick for one of the SA boys, Burton is "sacrificed" but not forced to move interstate, Saints get a potential gun player for a pick downgrade, and Hawthorn get their original (alleged) position of "15 and Burton for Wingard".
I dont want to completely ruin Burtons career ...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You tell us

All we can see is that Chad (and his manager) has shopped himself around likely to get the money he thinks he is worth. Every player a year out from FA should be doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gather they feel they can no longer get the best out of him & it is a good year to trade him before he becomes a FA to get a talented young SA player in the draft. Just think Port were hoping for the Bullies rather than Hawks 1st rounder...

From what I know, "Port have lost patience with him" was what Caroline Wilson said and There's got to be some truth to this. He's came back in the preseason overweight, would rather play fortnite instead of practicing, has argued with teammates bacause they don't think he trains hard enough or he comes into training late.

It's no secret how good Chad can be, he has more x-factor and talent then at least 90% of the league but clearly he's lacking in wanting it. I'm sure Clarko will turn this around he's clearly got the track record of maximising players potential. Ken on the other hand is the opposite.

Just like you I don't know and am keen to see what Chad has to say "when the time is right" as Chad said.

Last edited:
From what I know, "Port have lost patience with him" was what Caroline Wilson said and There's got to be some truth to this. He's came back in the preseason overweight, would rather play fortnite instead of practicing, has argued with teammates bacause they don't think he trains hard enough or he comes into training late.

It's no secret how good Chad can be, he has more x-factor and talent then at least 90% of the league but clearly he's lacking in wanting it. I'm sure Clarke will turn this around he's clearly got the track record of maximising players potential. Ken on the other hand is the opposite.

Hah what a ****in n00b. Only scrubs play Fortnite, can understand Port getting rid of him now.

This is the key point. Also the dogs walked away. That sets a marker as to what WONT get this trade done. Pick 7 I presume was not happening. Why would Hawks be expected to come up with what the dogs refused to.

This is the key point. Also the dogs walked away. That sets a marker as to what WONT get this trade done. Pick 7 I presume was not happening. Why would Hawks be expected to come up with what the dogs refused to.

Yeah exactly you’re just assuming. I assume we asked for 7 and their first next year which is why they walked away and that’s more likely since it’s been said from the start by Port’s list manager than want TWO first round picks.

Hawks haven’t been asked to come up with pick 7 and a top 10 pick next year...YET.

Bulldogs maybe never wanted to pay what it'd take to get him that's fine they don't have to. But to say Port should lower their asking price because 1 team never liked it is ridiculous, they have a right to put an unrealistic asking price like we saw with weller and Gibbs last year it happens teams don't have to pay it.

The reports were his first choice was the dogs but they baulked at the price.

He then chose hawks. Apparently dogs are still in the picture.

Not only is he not guaranteed to walk to hawks next year it’s pretty unlikely he does. That’s not a risk your club wants to take

Whatever you think about chad hawthorn have been wild about him since forever.

Do you have a source on this or is just Warren Tredrea’s twitter account or an anonymous source from Power from Port (lol)

Chad is following a tried and true path to premiership success (request trade to Hawthorn, win flag)

It’s worked for Dew (2008), Guerra (2008, 2013), Gilham (2008) and Borgoyne (2013, 2014, 2015)

You can have your Brent Renolf :thumbsu:

Do you have a source on this or is just Warren Tredrea’s twitter account or an anonymous source from Power from Port (lol)

Chad is following a tried and true path to premiership success (request trade to Hawthorn, win flag)

It’s worked for Dew (2008), Guerra (2008, 2013), Gilham (2008) and Borgoyne (2013, 2014, 2015)

You can have your Brent Renolf
Unfortunately Hawks don't have near the same guns coming through like they did with Mitchell, Lewis, Franklin, Hodge and Rioli. Their list isn't exactly booming with growth either. Right now they're only recruiting good players to remain relevant in finals as shown by not winning a game in the finals.

It's a typical Hawks comment that everything will be fine because we're the Hawks.

His first choice wasn’t the Dogs, I’ll give you the tip.

It was Port.

I think that’s well known by now.

In which we then told him to explore his options before being a free agent next year due to the change we want in culture and his overvaluing of his worth at this stage.

It was Port.

In which we then told him to explore his options before being a free agent next year due to the change we want in culture and his overvaluing of his worth at this stage.

Um, have you read the majority of your colleagues posts in this thread?

Must be a symptom endemic to Port.

Yeah exactly you’re just assuming. I assume we asked for 7 and their first next year which is why they walked away and that’s more likely since it’s been said from the start by Port’s list manager than want TWO first round picks.

Hawks haven’t been asked to come up with pick 7 and a top 10 pick next year...YET.

It was Port.

LOL. The best sitcom writers in the world couldn't write this stuff.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Chad Wingard [traded with future 3rd to Hawthorn for Burton, #15, #35 and future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back