Changes for Essendon vs West Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why lovett-murray? I admit i had not been a fan on previous weeks form but thought he had a good game yesterday, what didnt you like about it?
His disposal and decision making was shocking yesterday. Absolutely horrendous. And has been for a few weeks. He adds nothing to the side.

In: Atkinson, Fletcher, Gumbleton, Myers

Out:
Dyson - Did nothing impressive yesterday nor did he earn his spot to begin with. Knights had to reward form in the 2s or his 'favourites' are going to loss work ethic.
Jetta - No good yesterday. Fails to attack the ball hard and his run was absent.
Monfries - Needs to find some form in the 2s.
Remiers - Same as Monfries.

PLAY HOCKING IN THE GUTS!!

I would've called for Lonergan's head after his first half efforts but I think he proved in the second half that when he is in the guts he does have the ability to clear the ball so leave him in there and don't put him as a key forward where he really isn't great.

Also for those calling for Welsh to be cut, he was quite important in negated Bate and has done good jobs this year despite not racking possessions up himself. Better than Slattery as he doesn't panic in the back 50.

Quite disillusioned after yesterdays game, been overseas for a year, my first game back. So hard to find some 'Ins' this week as Bendigo were pathetic... So much easier to find 'outs', so I'll start with that.

OUTS: Dyson, Jetta, Dempsey

Dyson was horrible yesterday, decision-making was terrible. Didn't get to the right spots, and put teammates under pressure. I was behind him all the way when he was firing last season and had a couple of good games start of this one, but has really been lost since and his inconsistency is not going to cut it in a premiership side. Gone.

Welsh, well, just looked second-rate out there yesterday. Perhaps him in the backline was the reason for this, but he seriously has ZERO speed, and NO agility. He was turned inside out too many times yesterday with his oppeah tionent skipping away from the contest. Reminded me of Myers at the Bendigo game, neither of these blokes have the ability to keep the ball in the contest. So the reason I'm all for Welsh being dropped, is the same reason I'm all for Myers not being selected. These blokes aren't my whipping boys, but from a defensive viewpoint, they are both making to look very average. **EDIT** Welsh joins the midfield rotation and Colyer moves to the wing, with Reimers playing forward pocket and Zaharakis on a high half-forward flank.

Dempsey, provided very little to nothing all day in a game where he really should have stood up. Soft Melbourne team, wide spaces of the MCG, Hurley and Hooker accountable for the defence down back. He really needs to sort his headspace out, because he is proving this season that he really is not cut out for it. Pains me to say this also.

Now for the hard part... The INS...

INS: Fletcher, Atkinson, Gumbleton

Fletcher was the easy one. Atkinson proved his offensive potency on Saturday, I still hate his defensive side, and I don't like him being selected more often than not. I'm really not a fan of his. I'd like to see him delisted if he can't prove to be of acceptable quality given an extended run for the remainder of the season. So, this is his chance, last chance in my books to prove to be an AFL footballer. Gumbleton comes back to provide a forward target.

NOTES: Lonergan ONLY gets a game due to his clearance work in the second half. He is NOT to be played forward at ANY stage during the game. He can't kick for goal, he struggles to keep the ball in the forward 50 when he drops the mark, he is NOT a forward, he is a LIMITED on-baller. Another bloke playing for his career.

Prismall needs to tear a game apart before being re-selected. Is an AFL level footballer in my opinion, just needs to really step up.

Quite a few lucky players will be spared the axe this week, but there are honestly only about 10 fit players on the list right now that deserve a game.

THE TEAM:

B: Fletcher Hurley McVeigh
HB: Atkinson Hooker Hocking
C: Winderlich Watson Colyer
HF: Monfries Gumbleton Zaharakis
F: Reimers Neagle Davey
R: Ryder Stanton Howlett
IC: Bellchambers Lonergan Lovett-Murray Welsh

Jetta should be dropped. Probably my favourite player but there were plenty of times yesterday where he should of been roasted yet the coaching staff dont have any balls to pull players into line. Disappointing we have to keep roatating the changes because the coach can rectify problems on match days. Running out of positions to hide Stanton and Dyson is back to post 2009 form. Like to see Marigliani get a game. I dont care that hes been quieter lately just play him, he'll give 110%. Lonergan should not be dropped.

If Gumby is fit I'd assume he'd be back. Fletcher, Prismall.

Out: Dyson, Jetta (susp), ???

Out: Dempsey, Jetta, Bellchambers, Dyson
In: Melksham, Prismall, Fletcher, Gumbleton

Dempsey - defensively, terrible. The small stint he had playing on Jurrah gave him two easy goals due to being 10 metres away. And the 2 50m's he gave away were also unforgivable.

Jetta - susp.

Bellchambers - I understand that Hille will still be out, but Belly unfortunately was very poor on the weekend. Didn't offer us anything up forward when we needed him to, and struggled in the ruck. I think we would be more beneficial running with Ryder as the lone ranger this week and replace him with someone who has more versatility in Gumby.

Dyson - was one of the worst games I have seen him play. Not good enough for a player who has played the amount of games he has, and should be replaced by someone who can find the ball. Prismall, whilst not an outstanding "PICK ME" kind of a game in the seconds, he is not that type of player and never will be. Isn't bursting with speed, so doesn't catch people's attention. But in the games we lose, it seems as though we struggle to even get our hands on the ball. He will get you 25 possessions every game he plays and you know what you are going to get. If he gets the ball 25 times and stuffs it 5 times then thats awesome. Rather that than Dyson who drifts in and out of the game. Clearly, his body is not up to where it was last year, which was a very good year for him.

Not sure if people are just calling for Lonergan out of habit. He played a good game when moved to the centre. In fact I would like to see him get a got there again this week.

He was our best IMO. People are calling for his name because it's familiar. Just like it was for Slattery, Prismall, Dempsey... shall i go on? :p

Stanton is probably my favourite player, you can clearly see he is down on confidence. Sure, you could leave him in the seniors and he'll keep trying his hardest but confidence will still be low.

Dropping him will have one of two effects:
1) He'll take even more of a confidence hit
2) He'll feel as if he needs to lift, and kill it in the reserves

As for ins and outs:
Out: Dempsey, Welsh, Colyer, Jetta (susp), Reimers/Dyson
In: Atkinson, Gumbleton, Fletcher, Myers/Prissa, Hardingham

Dempsey - Sick of his discipline issues, can't play as a defender; either wing or reserves.
Welsh - His a good tagger, but that's it
Colyer - I like him, but I just don't think he's ready (not in this team anyway, we need bigger bodies in the midfield)
Dyson - Also a favourite of mine, has disappointed me though; which is a shame
Reimers - I think he's a lead up forward and plays his best football there, wasn't good at all on the weekend

If Prismall and the like get dropped, then so does Stanton. Can't be one rule for one and another rule for others.

That being said, I'd like Atkinson, Hardingham and TSlattery come in as we clearly struggle with quick small to mid forwards and McVeigh and Welsh are not the answers in this area.
FB: Fletcher, Hurley, Atkinson
HB: Hardingham, Hooker, TSlattery

We are struggling for presence in the forward line so I do believe that Welsh and McVeigh could provide us with some of this in the forward line. Both are good overhead and could provide some direction for our "young" forward line.
HF: Welsh, Gumby, Zaka
FF: Davey, Neagle, McVeigh

For the midfield, Watson has been absolutely huge but he needs some assistance. Lonergan gets the nod marginally ahead of Howlett and Hocking moves into the midfield to also help out Watson in the clearance area. Hocking can be the run with player is we so desire. Monfries has been great for us as a small forward win fit, but he was recruited as a midfielder and I think we've got 7 "free" weeks to take a prolonged look at him there. I'd also like to have a look at Dempsey through the centre and half forward. He is clearly not a natural backmen.
C: Houli, Watson, Winderlich
R: Ryder, Hocking, Monfries
Rotations: Lonergan (INT), Reimers (INT), T-Bell (INT), Dempsey(INT), Zaka.

OUT: Stanton, Dyson, Jetta, Howlett.
INS: Houli, Fletcher, T.Slattery, Gumby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see Brent Stanton yesterday?

No, neither did I.

You mean the bloke who plays in the midfield, kicked a goal, had an assist, and ... wait for it ... actually ran back to help the defence?

Yeah, I remember wishing every other midfielder gave as much of a **** as he does.

You mean the bloke who plays in the midfield, kicked a goal, had an assist, and ... wait for it ... actually ran back to help the defence?

Yeah, I remember wishing every other midfielder gave as much of a **** as he does.
He's trying, but he's been woefully out of form for weeks now. Everyone can see that.

FWIW I'm not one of those guys who says he doesn't run back hard enough.

I would give Stanton 1 more week good chance to pick up some confidence against west coast, if he has another shocker drop him

In: Fletch, Gumby, Melksham

Out: Welsh, McVeigh, Lonergan. Let's face it, they aren't part of the future.

Ins Gumby and Fletch

Outs Dyson and Welsh- he is really struggling and Im glad we didnt give him 3 years, I know that the club would argue he is a leader but he hasnt lead us to a win since he got back so that arguement is null and void.

Lonergan would have been out at half time but really gave us something in the guts in the second half.

Out: Welsh (not good enough), Dempsey (discipline was poor again), Bellchambers (don't really want to but...), Reimers (kickless)

OUT: Welsh (8 possies - should not keep getting games just coz he's VC), Bellchambers (9 possies - minimal impact), Reimers (needs more time at Bendigo - disappointing this year), Dempsey (very undisciplined)

OUTS: Dyson, Welsh, Dempsey

Welsh, well, just looked second-rate out there yesterday. Perhaps him in the backline was the reason for this, but he seriously has ZERO speed, and NO agility. He was turned inside out too many times yesterday with his opponent skipping away from the contest.

As for ins and outs:
Out: Dempsey, Welsh, Colyer, Jetta (susp), Reimers/Dyson
In: Atkinson, Gumbleton, Fletcher, Myers/Prissa, Hardingham

I feel embarrassed for all of you. Why bother to comment if you didn't go to or watch the game? :eek:

I feel embarrassed for all of you. Why bother to comment if you didn't go to or watch the game? :eek:

I was at the game yesterday, I admit it was the first game I have been able to get to this year. Tell me, what did Welsh do that was so good? If you read the rest of what I wrote, he looked second-rate, and playing in the backline could've been the reason for this. His man was just running off him with ease. He looked DEAD SLOW. Both in leg-speed and reactions. Based purely on yesterdays game, he looked horrible.

I was at the game yesterday, I admit it was the first game I have been able to get to this year. Tell me, what did Welsh do that was so good? If you read the rest of what I wrote, he looked second-rate, and playing in the backline could've been the reason for this. His man was just running off him with ease. He looked DEAD SLOW. Both in leg-speed and reactions. Based purely on yesterdays game, he looked horrible.
His opponent was Bate, who was kept very quiet by Welsh. He did his job.

His opponent was Bate, who was kept very quiet by Welsh. He did his job.

Welsh did well at keeping his opponent away from goal, and hence, wasn't exactly much of a target for the Dee's going forward. There were a few times when the ball did go in the Bate direction, and he just spun Welsh around and made him look quite bad. That's just what I saw, I wasn't happy with his game, and I honestly don't think we're getting much out of him from a leadership point of view, or from a list point of view going forward.

Not sure why Knighta is trying play Reimers as a half back flanker when he is clearly suited to the forward line. We should be playing guys like him and Dempsey in the forward line or on a wing.

Give up while you are ahead.

Welsh has been our best player for the last 3 weeks.

has beaten his opponent

- Hodge
- Vince
- Bate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back