Changes For the sydney test

Remove this Banner Ad

if i may: i'll have a potshot at the victorian public for going to the game

80000+ people at the mcg today, whats the bloody point? it just seems implausible to me that what the world thinks these days: "bigger is better"

how many of those people are actually connected to ANY of the players on the field out there?

the response of 'yeh, i know, isnt it effing great?" means nothing to me

the families who went to the mcg, with their families and kids, the kids having no idea whats going on, other than being told to "hate england"

by day 4 there would be less than 5000 true cricket purists at the game

but thats melbourne, everything is "oh so big!" and "oh so fake"

I don't think 5000 would be to bad a crowd on day 4, given the game will probably be well over.

Watson
Hughes ( give him another go on Home heap )
Marsh ( has a good technique and is in form )
Hussey
Khaweja
Ponting ( last test big send off )
Haddin
Smith ( need to persevere with this kid)
Johnson ( lousy form but still our only matchwinner when on song)
Siddle
Copeland ( time to blood new quicks )

If the game is a dead rubber:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin
Smith
Johnson
Harris
Siddle

Katich and Ponting have their farewell tests. It makes sense to persevere with Smith. Clarke playing for his spot in Bangladesh. Khawaja auditioning for the #3 position.

IMO this team both makes sense and is the closest to what the selectors might actually do. Cricket is very much a team game and you can't expect to make a hundred and one changes and expect to get either short or long term benefits. The contenders for replacement opening batsman for Katich, the 6th batsman spot and the spinner position could be assessed over the rest of the summer. Khawaja could be eased into the number 3 spot which he looks like he might fit well. Michael Clarke loses the vice captaincy but gets another series to prove himself as a batsman. Watson takes over as captain.

What they should pick:
Watson (want him down the order but we need him at the top for now)
Katich (if fit and because no other openers demanding selection)
Khawaja (bye bye Ponting probably be suspended anyway)
M Hussey
D Hussey (about bloody time, won't happen but should)
C White (C) Can bat, bloody good field, and best captain option
Haddin
Johnson
Holland/OKeefe (if they must pick a spinner these are our best options, otherwise substitute for 4th seamer)
Harris
Siddle

12th: Hilfenhaus/McKay

But knowing our selectors they will be really stupid and not give Ponting or Clarke the arse, retain Smith because he is 'highly rated' even though he's nowhere near the best 11 (right now anyway) and retain Hughes unless Katich is fit.

Atstonished that David Hussey isn't in and White but when you have VIC next to your name,you might as well give the game away because you could have stats like Bradman and still not get a look in.

That ole Vic Hatred that we know so well.

Atstonished that David Hussey isn't in and White but when you have VIC next to your name,you might as well give the game away because you could have stats like Bradman and still not get a look in.

That ole Vic Hatred that we know so well.

^This. :thumbsu:

Oh and Rogers moved to the wrong state too (for his test ambitions anyway).

Cosgrove
Watson
Marsh
D.Hussey
M.Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin (c) (this test only)
Smith
Harris
Copeland
Bollinger (if he's ready and on his home ground)

Would've gone Starc instead of Dougy if I could but he's injured.

Sick of Johnson and Siddle starring for a Test, as the latter did today, then going back to bowling absolute crap. Enough! We are not winning. Ashes are gone, try something.

And Siddle our best bowler today by far. You must hate it when he takes wickets.

Only change will be a spinner in for Hilf. Bank on it.
No dopey, I judge it as I see it. Just because you're incapable as you obviously are by you're idiotic post.

This is the problem, Johnson and Siddle and have odd days, get us all excited we pick them again on that basis only to bowl sh1t again and cost us matches. You haven't noticed that. North used to do that with the bat. Siddle's record isn't that good over his career. If you play long enough, even if you're poo, you'll eventually have a good day. Creates are false high. If you haven't noticed we have had scores of 1/517, 5/620, 5/444 and still going. What's that tell you? Unlike the dummies I don't fall for it. And that's just the bowling!

I'm not interested in "today", I want it done Test after Test. It's doesn't happen.Time has come for changes. Unlike you, I'm sick of losing or get sucked in. You do. Maybe someone will sell you swampland and suck you in saying it's prime real estate.

Here is my Fifth test XI for Sydney, with the knowledge that we have lost the Ashes and there is a need to select a core group of young players with an eye for the 2013 UK Ashes tour.

1) Shane Watson
2) Mark Cosgrove
3) Aaron Finch
4) Ricky (CAPTAIN)
5) Cameron White
6) Stephen Smith
7) Matthew Wade
8) Peter Siddle
9) Mitchell Johnson
10)Jason Krezja
11)James Pattinson

Mark Cosgrove comes into the side for Phil Hughes. Cosgrove is an entertaining left hand batsman who is ideally suited to the opener's role. He has played against the English bowlers during his time with Glamorgan and he can bat!!

People have to remember that some of our successful opening batsmen were not opening batsmen when they started their shield careers. Bob Simpson, David Boon, Geoff Marsh, Simon Katich and Justin Langer were promoted to the opening role for Australia and they made a fist of the role.

You guys are going to bag me for picking Aaron Finch. But, he is a natural number 3 batsman for the future. In the history of Australian cricket, the only left hand batsmen who made a successful fist of the number 3 position were Neil Harvey and Justin Langer. They scored their runs against top quality bowling whilst Graham Yallop struggled against top quality bowlers.

Finch has the attitude and technique to bat at number 3. He needs a chance and this selection is an adventurous selection in a similar fashion to the Shane Warne selection in 1991 and Michael Slater selection in 1993.

Stephen SMith retains his spot at number 6. He is a long term project player.

People have to remember that we are in a period of transition and it is important to give these players as much test match experience as possible. You just have to look at Alastair Cook. He made his debut at the age of 21; scored a century in Perth in 2006 and he struggled for runs from 2007 to 2010 whilst the selectors picked him. With constant exposure to test cricket, he learnt more about his game and his game has stepped up to the elite level during this Ashes series.

Hilfenhauss and Harris are out of the side. These guys won't win you test matches. Hilfenhauss is an honest out swing bowler who won't win you a game whilst Harris is just an honest workhorse.

I have dropped Haddin for Wade. Brad Haddin has scored runs, but we need to look to the future. Haddin reminds me of Greg Dyer from NSW. A good batsman but an average keeper who received a baggy green cap in a brown paper bag.

THE GOV

Unfortunately Mark Cosgrove's card has been marked "not to play for australia".

it's bullshit if you ask me, but i think he would have to average 70+ for two or three consecutive seasons for Tasmania before he is even talked about at a selection meeting.

Here is my Fifth test XI for Sydney, with the knowledge that we have lost the Ashes and there is a need to select a core group of young players with an eye for the 2013 UK Ashes tour.

THE GOV

that's all well and good but then your happy to pick a fella who's averaging less than 30 this season with a career average in the mid 30's with just one century to his name at number 3... when there's another number 3 in the country who's averaging over 70 this season and over 50 in his short career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and the team won't change much for sydney.

khawaja should be in the team. he should be opening. yeah he doesn't open for NSW, but he's got a very good technique and he bats three. if you can bat three, you can open if required. there is absolutely nothing in the opening bat stocks unfortunately. hughes is the most talented but his technique is bizaare and he is completely out of form.

but we've already seen it stated hughes will be playing in sydney no matter what....

and the team won't change much for sydney.

khawaja should be in the team. he should be opening. yeah he doesn't open for NSW, but he's got a very good technique and he bats three. if you can bat three, you can open if required. there is absolutely nothing in the opening bat stocks unfortunately. hughes is the most talented but his technique is bizaare and he is completely out of form.

but we've already seen it stated hughes will be playing in sydney no matter what....

Khawaja should open, but James Pattinson and the English A bowlers exposed a deficiency againt good quality bowling. However, he does provide a good foil for Shane Watson.

Phil Hughes needs to consult Geoff Boycott about his technique. Gee, he is a freak but he needs to sort out his game in the off season. WIth the test matches ending in January, he has ample time from January to March 2011 to score some runs at Shield level with an added bow to his game ie playing within his limitations and knowing when to leave the good balls.

If you compare Phil Hughes, Nic Maddison, Usman Khawaja and MIchael Hill, I would rate Maddison and Hill as better openers than Phil Hughes.

THE GOV

yeah hughes has slipped way down the pecking order. well he hasn't. but he should have.

he started very well, but i think it was only a matter of time before his technique got found out.

now he's gotta show some mental resiliance as to whether he can bounce back.

Unfortunately Mark Cosgrove's card has been marked "not to play for australia".

it's bullshit if you ask me, but i think he would have to average 70+ for two or three consecutive seasons for Tasmania before he is even talked about at a selection meeting.

How about he cements his spot at Shield level before promoting him to the big show..

How about he cements his spot at Shield level before promoting him to the big show..
yeah i agree. i don't think he should be in the test team at the moment.

but i think it's bullshit that he is almost no chance to play for australia regardless of what he does for tasmania.

Cosgrove
Watson
Marsh
D.Hussey
M.Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin (c) (this test only)
Smith
Harris
Copeland
James Pattinson

Would've gone Starc if I could but he's injured.

Sick of Johnson and Siddle starring for a Test, as the latter did today, then going back to bowling absolute crap. Enough! We are not winning. Ashes are gone, try something.

You want to bring in young blokes but you want to drop Siddle? You need your head read imo.

People want young blood but they don't want to give a young guy like Siddle a go where he has shown early in his career that he has something to work with. He doesn't do it every test match, but he has produced some sizzling spells which suggests he has what it takes to take wickets at the top level. What he should be working on now with the coaches is consistency. We need guys who have a bit of **** in them, who can bowl well on flat pitches and frankly, who give a damn. Like or not, he is a barometer of our side and the future of our bowling stocks.

OUT
Hughes (looks terrible)
Clarke (same)
Smith (as Warne said, when he plays we're going in with one less batsman and one less bowler)
Hilfy (2 wickets in a series isn't good enough, even if he is bowling tight)

Marsh
Watson
Ponting (c)
D Hussey
M Hussey
White (vc)
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
Siddle

Our batting needs a shake up. Hughes' selection was always a joke, Clarke has been struggling for a long time and Smith looks out of his depth. We need a spinner for the SCG and Hauritz is still our best option unfortunately. Hilfy is only good if the ball is really swinging and hasn't got enough wickets to earn his spot for the last test.

You want to bring in young blokes but you want to drop Siddle? You need your head read imo.

He hates Peter Siddle, so you cant expect any reason out of him

Fact is these days with workloads so high and injuries very frequent it is time for a horses for courses selection policy with the bowling attack. You pick 5-6 fast bowlers and use them as required

You never even consider Hilfenhaus for Melbourne or Sydney, but is 1st picked in Brisbane and Hobart if they play there and every test played in England

Peter Siddle should be rested for games in Perth, he has never done well there even for Victoria against the weak warriors

The anti Siddle brigade will pretend like he has a good day and a lot of bad days, yet he will back up in Sydney and bowl well again. He loves Melbourne and he loves Sydney, he got his test spot because he bowled well against NSW in Sydney and a few injuries saw him end up with a game, he was looking like being discarded then bowled well in Melbourne and tore it up in Sydney.

Its not a case of being about to be dropped, pull the finger out, it is a case of bowling on a pitch he loves.

Australia no longer have the luxury of a top class spinner therefore the pace bowlers need to do the damage, so best bet is pick the bowlers for the wickets they are suited. No point picking Hilfenhaus in Melbourne or Sydney to bowl economically, you need a spinner and you need wicket taking pace bowlers. Siddle is a wicket taker when bowling well

what's with everyone saying mark cosgrove should get a game. you got to be joking right. shaun marsh should be picked way before he even gets a look at by the selectors.

People are mentioning him because he's the best opener in Shield cricket this season - 510 runs (65% of which have come from boundaries) @ 56.66, with a strike rate of 71.22 - and is still young enough (26 years old) to have a future at Test level, rather than being "Stopgap of the Month" a la Marcus North.

It'll probably seem reactionary, but I've changed my selected side from late last night to include Siddle. I'd like to think a fit Bollinger walks into this team at the moment, but Siddle has bowled really well so far this Test, and others have said, is young enough to be worth persisting with.

Anyway, revised side for Sydney:
  1. Shane Watson
  2. Mark Cosgrove
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. Michael Clarke
  5. Mike Hussey
  6. Usman Khawaja
  7. Brad Haddin
  8. Nathan Hauritz
  9. Peter Siddle
  10. Ryan Harris
  11. Trent Copeland