Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - GRAND FINAL vs. Brisbane MCG, 2:30pm Sat 30/09

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Frampton or Kreuger will replace McStay. Harris Andrew will maul Mihocek otherwise. I'd go with Kreuger as he shown previously to have immediate impact because of the aggressive style he plays. Wouldn't be surprised to see Adams replacing Ginnivan as sub. Fly may feel playing Adams a full game to big of a risk and may use Adams as sub because his more versatile (midfield/forward) then Ginnivan.
Sub is even riskier. If he starts and he gets injured, we've got a sib and it's only an issue if we get another injury. If he gets subbed in and gets injured we're one down even without another injury.

Gotta love footy media. Spends half a season shitting on McStay but now that he is injured it's like we have lost Plugger Lockett.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Melbourne can beat Brisbane at the MCG without Fritsch, Petty and Oliver, surely we’re a chance despite missing McStay.

We would have loved to play Melbourne without Fritsch in the QF.

Hoping this is an omen and apologies for sharing in this thread(not sure where it would belong).. Got home from work today and sitting on my front step was this little man…
View attachment 1813601
Was able to walk up to him and pat him. First thought was injured but called the wildlife contact ( made sure they did not support lions before i explained the situation) and they advised based on photos and videos that it was a young one that has just not learnt to fly yet. They told us that leaving him out was a risk as cats could get him and that we needed to get him into a box ( he has water and air holes) and keep him in garage to ensure safety. Apparently this is very common this time of year and that the parents will eventually come back and feed him but is probably 2 days away from flying. We need put him back in the same spot we found him in the morning so parents can find him. So for the next 24-48 hours we are proud foster parents of our first magpie. We will ensure his safety and watch him fly away this week for the ultimate success! His name is Darcy and we already love him! Go pies!!! ⚫⚪⚫⚪
Awesome post. Absolutely no apology needed. Your kindness will bring good karma.

Last edited:
I've been thinking for a few weeks that if we got to the GF and our opponent was Brisbane, we must have Frampton playing back. Release Moore to CHB and put Billy at FB. Murph becomes our third tall. Howe could be our swing man.
Reckon Ginni might be a bit stiff. Hasn't played a full game for weeks. I know he's a great trainer, but he might be lacking match hardness.

The sub does extra work to keep his conditioning up, probably can do more fitness work as not as many hits to recover from. And also in Ginnis case is showing no signs of needing more match play to keep up to the game speed.
I see where you're coming from but ginni won't be playing in the GF. Adams looks like coming in as does Frampton, I can't see a spot for ginni unless they drop someone like Lipinski and that ain't going to happen. Besides a loud roar from the crowd when he comes on, he doesn't really make his presence felt

I see where you're coming from but ginni won't be playing in the GF. Adams looks like coming in as does Frampton, I can't see a spot for ginni unless they drop someone like Lipinski and that ain't going to happen. Besides a loud roar from the crowd when he comes on, he doesn't really make his presence felt.

Is Frampton in the Werribee word?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but it makes more sense than your argument for ginni. At least give me your opinion. There's a little bit of all of us in werribee but that's irrelevant here
I didn't argue for Ginni - was just saying that him being sub won't make him unpickable.

I think it'll be WHE forward - Adams in for Mcstay. (I'd go with Howe forward)

And then who is sub out of Ginni and Noble will depend on where they want to use Daicos and which end game scenario they want a sub for - I'd reckon ginni - just because it's been Ginni the last two weeks.

I didn't argue for Ginni - was just saying that him being sub won't make him unpickable.

I think it'll be WHE forward - Adams in for Mcstay. (I'd go with Howe forward)

And then who is sub out of Ginni and Noble will depend on where they want to use Daicos and which end game scenario they want a sub for - I'd reckon ginni - just because it's been Ginni the last two weeks.
That's better but we won't be going in without either Frampton or freddy, that's GF suicide. Doesn't matter how much you plan for a small forward line, as the pressure of a GF sets in, you're going to start bombing balls in the 50. I seriously doubt we leave ourselves open to that. I don't know what level you played at but I played in GF'S in the 80,s in the VFA and believe me, you will bomb the ball forward.

That's better but we won't be going in without either Frampton or freddy, that's GF suicide. Doesn't matter how much you plan for a small forward line, as the pressure of a GF sets in, you're going to start bombing balls in the 50. I seriously doubt we leave ourselves open to that. I don't know what level you played at but I played in GF'S in the 80,s in the VFA and believe me, you will bomb the ball forward.
Shit level.

Just got to get the bombs to be top spinning finger breaking mongrel bombs. Frampton's a nuffie forward. It doesn't matter how big you are if you don't get near where it lands. I'd consider Freddy - but I'll be shocked if they play him. They had their chances when Coxy was struggling and he was going well in the VFL, but they said nah not this year.

s**t level.

Just got to get the bombs to be top spinning finger breaking mongrel bombs. Frampton's a nuffie forward. It doesn't matter how big you are if you don't get near where it lands. I'd consider Freddy - but I'll be shocked if they play him. They had their chances when Coxy was struggling and he was going well in the VFL, but they said nah not this year.
But the other option is a small forward line. Do you really deep down believe we are going to get away with that in a GF. If Frampton is selected at least we have the option of interchanging him with Howe or throwing him into the ruck. I hope we don't go small

But the other option is a small forward line. Do you really deep down believe we are going to get away with that in a GF. If Frampton is selected at least we have the option of interchanging him with Howe or throwing him into the ruck. I hope we don't go small
The game will be won at ground level - just got to get the rucks to push forward to the hotspot to bring enough balls to ground and top spin it in when Brisbane are set and we haven't got them in place yet. Richmond style.

Second half of the year there been too much bombing not enough lowering of the eyes.
I’d be bringing in Noble and that’s it.
Go smaller in the F50 start Ginnivan as well.
Yes we are winning and deserve to be there but in all honesty we are a lot more “gettable” now than what we were.
I’m interested in what makes you so confident this year, do you think we’ll match up well against Brissy at the G?

Is McInnes a possible deus ex machina?
a) He has been declared fit.
b) Is a forward (unlike Frampton)
c) Was in better form than Kreuger in VFL at the end of the year, and doesn't get injured as easily
d) He is fast.

Perhaps a plan can be outlined for him to co-ordinate his running with Checkers so that he does present a viable second target, with a view to forcing the ball to ground level even if not marking it.
With him playing, Brisbane can't just focus on shutting down Checkers without worrying about another target. Also, McInnes would provide shock value, which always introduces the possiblity that they underestimate him.

I agree. BF can play forward, back and on ball. As a backman, he has shown he is quite capable. He ain’t great on ball or forward but he’ll make a contest and that may be all we need. He isn’t going to replicate McStay by any means but he provides flexibility for different in game scenarios.

The game will be won at ground level - just got to get the rucks to push forward to the hotspot to bring enough balls to ground and top spin it in when Brisbane are set and we haven't got them in place yet. Richmond style.
I'm for anything that wins us the game. You know I value your opinion and forgive me for being a bit too firm on this. It's bloody grand finals and being a Collingwood supporter. By Saturday I will be playing classics like the holy grail and Pavarotti's vinicero at full blast over and over. It worked in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back