Preview Changes/Preview - Round 19 vs. Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rate this. Petty getting to (maybe even passing) Schache levels of ineptitude, so becomes a meme hero on the board.
I stil say he saved us the game when he pinged McKay late last week, what a tackle! Gawn couldn't have made that!

I mean, most on here are saying you can throw any muppet into the ruck. Yet are melting about rotating Petty and JVR through there and that Fullerton should be playing. While I agree Petty has been horrible, Fullerton is a forward who pinch hits in the ruck. And tbh, has just been going ok at VFL level. JVR actually looks much better than Fullerton as a ruck. The kid uses his body exceptionally well. I don't know. Fullerton for Petty wasn't going to make any difference. We're best sharking the Freo ruck taps. Worked well last week. We're gonna get smashed anyway :)

I'm not sure about others, but I'm not saying Fullarton is the answer as a ruck, more saying Petty's form in general has been horrible and Fullarton is worth a shot based on the other things he could potentially do. Has been kicking more goals, winning clearances and getting touches around the ground - These are all things Petty hasn't done for months.

We're not going to win the ruck against Darcy and Jackson, even if we had Gawn probably, so the argument isn't about Fullarton winning more hitouts than Petty, neither of them will do well there, it's about the fact that Fullarton currently would provide more in the other areas which is the whole point in the ruck setup Goody has gone with.

Fair few posters seem to be completely missing the point. It's nothing to do with hitouts.

I'm not sure about others, but I'm not saying Fullarton is the answer as a ruck, more saying Petty's form in general has been horrible and Fullarton is worth a shot based on the other things he could potentially do. Has been kicking more goals, winning clearances and getting touches around the ground - These are all things Petty hasn't done for months.

We're not going to win the ruck against Darcy and Jackson, even if we had Gawn probably, so the argument isn't about Fullarton winning more hitouts than Petty, neither of them will do well there, it's about the fact that Fullarton currently would provide more in the other areas which is the whole point in the ruck setup Goody has gone with.

Fair few posters seem to be completely missing the point. It's nothing to do with hitouts.

Yeah I agree with this. Petty has been awful for a long time, not playing a ruck means JVR spends less time forward where he has actually looked to really be developing.

Honestly I'm just glad Max isn't playing.

But why is petty playing? Goody values the defensive structures above all else!

- Flexibility that if May/Lever/McDonald goes down inj that he can be swung back.

- Petty floats back as spare if have a lead late i.e. Goody parking the bus

- Switch McDonald and Petty if forward line not functioning or need a hail Mary in last quarter.

Fullarton would just get monstered and can't do any of the above for us. Verrall just isn't fit enough.

Not saying I'm loving it. Probably just justifying it to myself...
Not sure we need a spare/injury cover key defender if one of the existing 3 go down, but Turner is in the team if that was needed.

Petty took 2 marks last week and was soundly beaten in the air by Draper and McKay in every contest, not sure how much help he would be floating back as a spare atm.

If they wanted to switch, Turner is there to swap with TMac if we're that desperate, but the point in Fullarton would be he's showing more forward than Petty has all year.

Yep, Fullarton isn't as much of a mongrel or competitor as Petty, but Petty's form is horrendous and Fullarton has shown more at VFL level as a ground level player (7 clearances last week), around the ground (21 disposals) and as a forward (more goals in the last month than Petty has kicked for the year).

It's not about the role, there's plenty of options there, it's about form.
Certainly not disagreeing about Petty's form.

Yeah, Turner could go back but is still relatively untried at this level doing that and is being more effective forward than Petty. I'd rather leave him there just focused on that role as he is still so raw.

I don't put too much weighting on VFL performances, it just isn't comparable to AFL level. Just look at Billings and Laurie. Both racking up possies and hitting the scoreboard regularly. Even rounding out some nice tackling, clearance and contested possessions but we know that isn't translating when they get in the seniors (roles obviously plays a part too i.e. more onball mins in ressies).

Petty would rack up some nice looking numbers in the VFL and I wouldn't be against it just to get his confidence up! But I wouldn't be expecting him to then come back into the seniors and dominate because of it.

Certainly not disagreeing about Petty's form.

Yeah, Turner could go back but is still relatively untried at this level doing that and is being more effective forward than Petty. I'd rather leave him there just focused on that role as he is still so raw.

I don't put too much weighting on VFL performances, it just isn't comparable to AFL level. Just look at Billings and Laurie. Both racking up possies and hitting the scoreboard regularly. Even rounding out some nice tackling, clearance and contested possessions but we know that isn't translating when they get in the seniors (roles obviously plays a part too i.e. more onball mins in ressies).

Petty would rack up some nice looking numbers in the VFL and I wouldn't be against it just to get his confidence up! But I wouldn't be expecting him to then come back into the seniors and dominate because of it.

I don't think having a horribly out of form Petty still in the team simply as emergency backup if one of our existing 3 key defenders get injured is a strong reason for his selection.

Absolutely agree VFL form doesn't always translate, but if we're not using form as a big part of selection then why even have a VFL team? Fullarton hasn't even been tried yet, so I'm not sure using Billings and Laurie, who have both had MORE than enough chances is completely comparable.

Reality is, Petty's form has been horrendous. We're going to lose the hitouts no matter who we select, but Petty has been giving us nothing else around the ground and, based on form, it was absolutely worth a shot throwing Fullarton in there to see if he can gives us more in those other areas.

Would have been nice to see what Verral brings but oh well.
I would like to see Verrall get a game as sub when maxxy is back. Sub Max halfway through the 3rd and u leash him when a bit of the speed is out of the game and give him a good taste without completely exposing his fitness.

I would also be open to Petty getting a couple of VFL hitouts for confidence with Fullarton and Verrall both in. Fullarton starts, Verrall Sub. If he goes ok, sub Gawn for Verrall in 3rd. If he struggles then sub Fullarton for Verrall and push Max forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could replace Petty with a witches hat tbh..that's how bad Fullerton is going :)
Petty basically is a witches hat this year. Fullarton mightn't be much chop but Petty is playing like James Sellar this season. Not a hard bar to pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back