Preview Changes: R3 vs Port Adelaide

Rate our selections for this week

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

of Ned I’d prefer Murphy to McHenry as a pressure forward right now.

Ned’s start to the year has been terrible. He’s so damn tiny.
Wow hasn't just got smaller .
Some small players can still play a role in team, where I have been critical of Ned is he has no speed or real special footy nous and as forward has never been a goal kicking forward .
He is loved for his intensity and attack on ball and player, but as you have highlighted he is too small to be effective in this role or to compete in forced forward entries .
Why continue to be critical off him is his pick at 16, but like this weeks selection you will probably see Cook or Pedlar get dropped this week who have real potential, but Ned will get another game.
And make things worse Murphy might even come in as well.

I will be more shocked if Sloane is out than if he is out

Fully expecting him to be named.

And yeah, Soligo to be dropped.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
How about we name Sloane, but have no intention of playing him.

Kornes gets the inside knowledge (lol as if he would have intel) & Nicks gets stuck into him at post press conference.

I will be more shocked if Sloane is out than if he is in

Fully expecting him to be named.

And yeah, Soligo to be dropped.

Pointless playing without Sloane, he's the heart and soul of that side. If he can't get up I reckon we should just forfeit, playing without him would be an insult to the greatest captain the club has ever had.

Pointless playing without Sloane, he's the heart and soul of that side. If he can't get up I reckon we should just forfeit, playing without him would be an insult to the greatest captain the club has ever had.
The day he retires, in 2030, the club should just fold....

I hate feeling this way about Sloane.

He really has been a good player for us, always gives his all (and more). The definition of a football warrior.

Unfortunately it is this trait, coupled with our coach's unwillingness to see the bigger picture, that is diminishing his legacy.

Gee what the hell did you put in your coffee this morning ? 🤣

The day he retires, in 2030, the club should just fold....

At the time he re-sign his 5 year contract I suggested we should have tried to make the most of his trade value or get a compo pick which would have been pick 9. The excuses at the time from some on here were he is a heart and soul player and cant leave. I sort of agreed but he had an injury impacted season and was showing signs of slowing down. I believe ST K made a play for free agency on he or at least were talking to him.
That year they picked up Max King. Imagine if we could have used our pick 8 and maybe 9 or better. We may have had a Luko, Rankine, Bailey Smith or Ben King. Clubs have to re-generate youth or die in pro sport.

How do you pass the time? .... That much driving would send me crazy
:sneaky:
People often ask me similar questions, especially about driving such long distances so often, mostly solo (sometimes with a friend/partner). I calculate that I have driven the equivalent of to-the-moon-and-back, more than twice :oops:.

It's an acquired taste, ha!

I'm a bit of a loner/hermit and enjoy the solitude, the time for reflection, plus it makes me realise how big and empty is Australia, with its rugged beauty and profusion of wildlife even in the most isolated and dry-looking regions.
I've learned to focus on the moment; to BE where I am. Instead of resenting what others might perceive to be boredom, I embrace it and focus on little things.

To pass the time, well, there's ABC radio. Test Cricket is a great time-killer on a long drive. There are also Regional radio stations all of which have their own slant/outlook/character.
I've also made several eclectic (very) mixed CDs with music ranging from Classical to jazz to Hillbilly/Bluegrass, both kinds of music (Country and Western), pop, rock, rap, songs from movies/musicals, heavy metal, all kinds, and many odd, unusual bits'n'pieces eg Stan Freberg ("Dragonet"), Arlo Guthrie ("The Pickle Song"), the "Ladybugs Picnic"/ "The Alligator King" songs and others from SESAME STREET :drunk: .
They have to be mixed and varied to keep me awake, but they often fake me out too --- sometimes I go "Oh, I love this [whatever it is]", then have to laugh @ myself because, well, I made the CD (duh).

There are many one-off bonuses:
--- burning dawns, flaming sunsets, rainbows, awesome storm cells, dust storms, grasshopper plagues etc
--- roos play-boxing in a cloud of cold morning steam, magnificent eagles, birds, clumps of emus and their stripey chicks
--- hundreds of kilometres of flatnothing around the Hay plains, with odd trees that have their own little ecosystem beneath eg 30Kms NW of Hay:
20220301_145907.jpg
--- huge, burnt-orange moonrises
--- transitional changes from seasons and events, sandy-dry creekbeds that teem with floods after rain
and much, much more.

One drawback, well, apart from the end-of-9/10-hour-drive tiredness; I always drive with the aircon ON, with cool air blowing on my face/legs, rain or shine, hot or cold weather.
It keeps me awake, of course, but makes me an impossible passenger in others' vehicles.

Apologies for the thread-irrelevant, long ramble-rant-rave :shoutyoldman:, but you did ask :).

He really has been a good player for us, always gives his all (and more). The definition of a football warrior.

Unfortunately it is this trait, coupled with our coach's unwillingness to see the bigger picture, that is diminishing his legacy.

I call it Ponting syndrome. Its where you love and respect a sportsperson but wish they'd retire as their current form is diminishing their reputation

I see McHenry as an elite tagger who could easily make each game for his opponent pretty miserable. He has the tank to "run with" all day and the physicality to really give his opponent a very hard day. A bit like Hayden Ballantine.
That's a great idea :thumbsu: .
If adopted, it could redefine McHenry's career; right now, he's a rather ineffective pest but that could be directed at making an oppo star uncomfortable and less effective.

At the Crows, who could teach him that role?

At the time he re-sign his 5 year contract I suggested we should have tried to make the most of his trade value or get a compo pick which would have been pick 9. The excuses at the time from some on here were he is a heart and soul player and cant leave. I sort of agreed but he had an injury impacted season and was showing signs of slowing down. I believe ST K made a play for free agency on he or at least were talking to him.
That year they picked up Max King. Imagine if we could have used our pick 8 and maybe 9 or better. We may have had a Luko, Rankine, Bailey Smith or Ben King. Clubs have to re-generate youth or die in pro sport.
Got to remember we were in the Premiership window mindset when he re-signed.

Great thought in hindsight, but no one was thinking this at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What ever happened to all that talk by Nicks in the preseason about playing Sloane in a position that best suits the team.
He gave the impression that he needed to be moved out of the CBA's but it hasn't looked like happening so far this year ?
Even when he injured himself early on, we still didn't move him to a less demanding position

People often ask me similar questions, especially about driving such long distances so often, mostly solo (sometimes with a friend/partner). I calculate that I have driven the equivalent of to-the-moon-and-back, more than twice :oops:.

I'm a bit of a loner/hermit and enjoy the solitude, the time for reflection, plus it makes me realise how big and empty is Australia, with its rugged beauty and profusion of wildlife even in the most isolated and dry-looking regions.
I've learned to focus on the moment; to BE where I am. Instead of resenting what others might perceive to be boredom, I embrace it and focus on little things.

To pass the time, well, there's ABC radio. Test Cricket is a great time-killer on a long drive. There are also Regional radio stations all of which have their own slant/outlook/character.
I've also made several eclectic (very) mixed CDs with music ranging from Classical to jazz to Hillbilly/Bluegrass, both kinds of music (Country and Western), pop, rock, rap, songs from movies/musicals, heavy metal, all kinds, and many odd, unusual bits'n'pieces eg Stan Freberg ("Dragonet"), Arlo Guthrie ("The Pickle Song"), the "Ladybugs Picnic"/ "The Alligator King" songs and others from SESAME STREET :drunk: .
They have to be mixed and varied to keep me awake, but they often fake me out too --- sometimes I go "Oh, I love this [whatever it is]", then have to laugh @ myself because, well, I made the CD (duh).

--- burning dawns, flaming sunsets, rainbows, awesome storm cells, dust storms, grasshopper plagues etc
--- roos play-boxing in a cloud of cold morning steam, magnificent eagles, birds, clumps of emus and their stripey chicks
--- hundreds of kilometres of flatnothing around the Hay plains, with odd trees that have their own little ecosystem beneath eg 30Kms NW of Hay:
View attachment 1359200
--- transitional changes from seasons and events, sandy-dry creekbeds that teem with floods after rain
and much, much more.

One drawback, well, apart from the end-of-9/10-hour-drive tiredness; I always drive with the aircon ON, with cool air blowing on my face/legs, rain or shine, hot or cold weather.
It keeps me awake, of course, but makes me an impossible passenger in others' vehicles.

Apologies for the thread-irrelevant, long ramble-rant-rave :shoutyoldman:, but you did ask :).
I regularly do the 8/9hour drive to the big smoke and I'm with you regarding the air-con always on - my family hate it if they're with me, the last trip my lad got a sleeping bag out and sat in the front seat covered in it he was that cold!!

What do you do in Lightning Ridge?

1) I regularly do the 8/9hour drive to the big smoke and I'm with you regarding the air-con always on - my family hate it if they're with me, the last trip my lad got a sleeping bag out and sat in the front seat covered in it he was that cold!!

2) What do you do in Lightning Ridge?
2) Thanks for asking. I'm semi-retired but still involved in opal mining/buying/cutting/selling. I used to teach year 12 English/Maths (still do tutoring) but turned my hobby into a business over 30 years ago.

1) My ex- used to keep a fluffy blanket in the car, for the same reasons, or so she said. I think it was just an excuse to have a woobie/blankie and pillows to build a girl's-"nest" on the front seat.

Going down the Scott Thompson path.

I’d prefer Murphy to McHenry as a pressure forward right now.

Ned’s start to the year has been terrible. He’s so damn tiny.
Some time ago it was stated and believed by most clubs that at their best all of the clubs were only a small percentage apart. Now if that theory is to be believed we drop dramatically when we have players in the 22 that are not performing in that position. Currently you could list McHenry not providing anything as a HF, Himmel ditto as CH/FF, Fog glimpses, Sloane although better week 2, RT [2022]- already that's four/five.

Then add the mistakes/poor ball use - Murray, Jones, Schorenberg [2022] Keays [at times wrong options]

We can't go into games playing a guy like McHenry in the HF position when he is not providing; an avenue to goal, and/or goals -we are forfeiting that spot on the field. Play him either on the ball or even on the wing because HF isn't working and choosing him because he's a little terrier doesn't cut it.

I regularly do the 8/9hour drive to the big smoke and I'm with you regarding the air-con always on - my family hate it if they're with me, the last trip my lad got a sleeping bag out and sat in the front seat covered in it he was that cold!!

What do you do in Lightning Ridge?
8/9 hour drive, far West ... I'm guessing Ceduna, or close to it?? :sneaky:
I've never been out there, but always wanted to see it, mostly for the fishing.
I've done the Adelaide <==> Pt. Augusta section many times as part of trips to Andamooka/ Coober Pedy/ Mintabie. That stretch has really improved from 30+ years ago.

Safe travels! :thumbsu: :smilev1:

8/9 hour drive, far West ... I'm guessing Ceduna, or close to it?? :sneaky:
I've never been out there, but always wanted to see it, mostly for the fishing.
I've done the Adelaide <==> Pt. Augusta section many times as part of trips to Andamooka/ Coober Pedy/ Mintabie. That stretch has really improved from 30+ years ago.

Safe travels! :thumbsu: :smilev1:
haha great calculations spot on moved over here over 30 years ago and trying to retire from DECD - currently in lockdown so my posting has gone through the roof!
The beaches are what keep me here - that and the fact I failed to invest in an Adelaide house when I had the chance. I use to do the drive to Adelaide on a Friday after work and then back Sunday, if I did that now I'd be comatose until Wednesday!!

View attachment 1359200
and much, much more.

Thanks. I really appreciate the considered response.

Silly follow up question, why the long drives? Can’t you dump the bodies closer to home? 🤣🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R3 vs Port Adelaide

Back