Preview Changes: R5 vs Carlton, Thursday April 13, 7.10pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Which of these players come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Off a 5 day break?

Seems unlikely to me?

I’m referring to whether the player has ‘omitted’ or ‘managed/rested’ next to their name on selection night. I don’t think anyone will have ‘omitted’. But I doubt we’ll be going in unchanged. Although Gollant may be dropped for either McAdam or Fog, if he gets up.

Tex just booted 4 and looked fine body wise.

there’s absolutely no chance they drop him. They’d be figuring he’s just hit some form and on the cusp of a string of great games in a row..

they should rest him for the tassie game if anything.

I don’t know why a few around here are talking Tex into an early retirement..

he’s two years younger than Tom Hawkins.. 5cm shorter and 10kg’s lighter.. and he has Burgess looking after him.

Tex could easily have another season or two in him..

strange too that both he and Hawkins had a couple of poor seasons in a row around the age of 29-31 then bounced back to near career best form.. and don’t really look like slowing down much.
Tex is still a valuable contributor, his forward line organisation is first class and pumps the kids up, while kicking 4 is nothing to be sneezed at

7 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
5 Max Michalanney (ADEL)
5 Ned McHenry (ADEL)
4 Brodie Smith (ADEL)
3 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
3 Chayce Jones (ADEL)
2 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
1 Riley Thilthorpe (ADEL)

Nicks
5 McHenry
4 Michalanney
3 Jones
2 Dawson
1 Thilthorpe

Longmuir
5 Dawson
4 Smith
3 Walker
2 Rankine
1 Michalanney

Of the 7 players not named Jordan Dawson, I reckon Max is the most likely to have received votes from both coaches.

there’s absolutely no chance they drop him. They’d be figuring he’s just hit some form and on the cusp of a string of great games in a row..

he’s two years younger than Tom Hawkins.. 5cm shorter and 10kg’s lighter.. and he has Burgess looking after him.

strange too that both he and Hawkins had a couple of poor seasons in a row around the age of 29-31 then bounced back to near career best form.. and don’t really look like slowing down much.
I hope Tex plays on next year... but to increase his chances we have to rest him for games during the year.

Would hope there is good communication between Tex & coaching/fitness staff as to when best to do this.

If Fog is ready to return this week & a short turnaround, this week would need to be a consideration.

Yeah, bizzare voting.

This bit is binary though - either neither coach though Dawson was best on, or one of them thought he was only 4th best.
Also, at least one coach thought Max or Ned was BOG. Would love to see Max get the RS nomination.

At least 3 players got a vote from just one coach - TT for 1, Rankine for 2, and Smith for 4

From there it's either a 3/3 for Walker and Jones, or a 1 plus 2 /3 split

If it's the 3/3 split, then Dawson must have the 5 plus 2 for his 7; which then means Max and Ned got a 5 and 4 plus 1, and Smith got the last 4.

If it's the 1-2 / 3 split then Dawson got the 4/3; Max and Ned each got a 5 vote with Smith 4.

I find either possibility equally implausible, but one of them happened.

with 8 players polling, doesn't it mean that only 2 players coukd get votes from both coaches?

Nicks
5 McHenry
4 Michalanney
3 Jones
2 Dawson
1 Thilthorpe
If correct, McHenry is a lock for Thursday (fwiw I thought Dawson was BoG, but Coaches are looking at different things).
Good to see Michalanney acknowledged; playing like a 25y.o.
Jones was solid all game.

8 players got votes, all Crows, dominant win. Brownlow votes for this round will be interesting.

If correct, McHenry is a lock for Thursday (fwiw I thought Dawson was BoG, but Coaches are looking at different things).
Good to see Michalanney acknowledged; playing like a 25y.o.
Jones was solid all game.

8 players got votes, all Crows, dominant win. Brownlow votes for this round will be interesting.
Serong may get a Brownlow vote.

Tex is looking very much like he needs a rest, got it only 10 times, but did maximise his touches. Given hes looked like this since the opening round, I don't think next year is looking too likely at this stage. When Tex is in good Nick, he's getting it nearly twice as much as that. Averaging 10 v 17 disposals first 4 games this and last year. Worrying signs given it's very early in the season.

Anyone know off the top of their head the differences between the Carlton we face on Thursday vs the last time?

When we beat Carlton last year, we didnt have TT, Rachele, Pedlar and obviously Rankine in the side. 4 big players to feature this time.
I can help out even though you prob don’t want it.

Last year we were over attacking all year and didn’t have the capacity to get back and defend. I’m sure you remember keays making us look like fools very well.

This year we’re a work in progress focussing on defensive running. Acres/hollands help and Walsh will add something extra we haven’t seen this year.

We haven’t convincingly beaten anyone as we haven’t got anywhere nearing learning to balance the both.

You guys are building beautifully and every chance at knocking us off especially at AO. Forward line looks a nightmare to defend…Going to be a good game, great test for both of us!

This is the first game I can remember in some time where I’m genuinely nervous and excited to see where we are at. And it feels great. I’ve openly been very concerned about our list. I’ll put my hand up now and say I was wrong. The future is suddenly so bright I need sunglasses. Amazing how quickly things change.

I still think Mckay wins appeal based on Ballard getting off the other week. There are angles where it looks like he hits the upper shoulder first then it slides up to the head.

But if he's out, yes I think Cripps and maybe Kennedy will play more forward to cover Mckay. We have Kennedy and Walsh coming back into our midfield so can afford to.
What are your thoughts. Will Walsh still be underdone a bit coming off surgery and not having a full preseason?

Can anyone shed some light on ticket allocation for this game? Just had a sudden sinking feeling that we have a low allocation of club tickets? Or do we think it will look and feel like a usual Crows game? 15000 neutrals and 10000 blues fans would prob change the dynamic quite dramatically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone shed some light on ticket allocation for this game? Just had a sudden sinking feeling that we have a low allocation of club tickets? Or do we think it will look and feel like a usual Crows game? 15000 neutrals and 10000 blues fans would prob change the dynamic quite dramatically.

If any of the neutrals are from Vic then they won’t be cheering for Carlton, that is a given.

Would expect it to still be a very pro-Crow crowd.

There will be around 50k and we have only been getting 33-38k to our home games so far.

It was the same as finals wasn’t it. Competing members got first stab. Then it was out to the public. Pretty sure every 11 game crows member would have got on quickly. So thinking it will seem like a crows home final match.

So last time we played Carlton we had Worrell, Parnell, Himmelberg and Hamill in the side replaced by Michalanney, Rachele, Rankine and Tilthorpe.

Also Fogarty, Berry, McAdam and Davis also played back then with Doedee, Gollant, Scholl and Sloane taking those spots.

We will definitely be stronger side this week.

Who comes in, who goes out will be interesting.

Have seen resting Tex floated as an option which I think would be a bad call. We have a 10 day break following this game so he shouldn’t need it just yet IMO. We need to go balls to the wall to win this game.

Also worth noting that if Tex doesn’t play then TT potentially gets Weitering. Not sure if that’s the best thing for him just as he’s putting together consistent games.

NVB is hopeless and we're only 4 games in. We've been here the last couple of years and then lost a couple and gone back to playing sideways chip chip slow strategy. I definitely hope we stay the course with fast footy and trusting the talent, but we've turned our back on it in the past despite it delivering successful outcomes. I hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't trust the coaches when the ledger turns negative.
Perhaps I cheated on my Accountancy accreditation’s but hasn’t our ledger been negative up until the conclusion of the Freo game? Yet we still played blistering high scoring football despite being in deficit?

Just TRY to enjoy the success that is so clearly building. Join the party. Back down from your default pre conceived negativities. Life is a lot more satisfying and rewarding (and generally successful) for people with positive mindsets.

I can help out even though you prob don’t want it.

Last year we were over attacking all year and didn’t have the capacity to get back and defend. I’m sure you remember keays making us look like fools very well.

This year we’re a work in progress focussing on defensive running. Acres/hollands help and Walsh will add something extra we haven’t seen this year.

We haven’t convincingly beaten anyone as we haven’t got anywhere nearing learning to balance the both.

You guys are building beautifully and every chance at knocking us off especially at AO. Forward line looks a nightmare to defend…Going to be a good game, great test for both of us!
With our defence, Curnow and McKay will beat us by themselves if they are allowed to run around and kick it to each oher like they did last week.

My best guess:

In: Pedlar, McAdam
Out: Sholl, Murphy

Sub: McHenry.

I reckon Fogarty will need another week before replacing the rested Tex, who’ll then come back in for Gollant against the Pies.

I can see an argument for McAdam not coming straight back in but without any SANFL game this weekend he just needs to play.

Carlton board are 50-50 on if they will win. I'm confident we can do them but being so young we could put in a stinker with a few of their decent mids coming back in, it's hard to gauge.

Had a chuckle at one of their posters saying they'd grind it out and over-run us in the last 1/4....... the '2 pre-seasons under Burgess' factor will play a significant role in us winning I think, as it did in the Showdown.

It was the same as finals wasn’t it. Competing members got first stab. Then it was out to the public. Pretty sure every 11 game crows member would have got on quickly. So thinking it will seem like a crows home final match.

If I actually took notice of the club's members' email I could have had my 2 tickets but I didn't bother reading it, thinking it was part of the membership as it was at home. Stoopid!

Prior to Round One I said that we had about a dozen automatic selections and twenty plus players competing for the last 10 spots. Nothing has changed.

IMHO, the players who will always be selected (if fit) are Doedee, Laird, Dawson, Rachele, Soligo, Rankine, Walker and Fogarty. I also had Berry on the list but he has obviously had a slow start to the season. I am happy to add Thilthorpe, Michaelanney and Murray to the list (and Sloane has played much better than I expected).Would anyone be shocked if Butts, Smith, Milera, Hinge, Jones, Sholl, ROB, Keays, Murphy, McHenry, Gollant and Schoenberg spend some time in the Twos later this year. Like many other posters, I would prefer that if the decision is close we select players with more upside.

My changes this week (not gunna happen) are;
Out - Butts. In - Keane
Out - Gollant In - McAdam
Out - Murphy In - Pedlar

Give Fog and Berry an extra week off and play Murphy as the sub. There is no need to play anyone who isn’t 100% fit and if anyone else is a bit sore (Tex? Sloane?) then give them a week off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R5 vs Carlton, Thursday April 13, 7.10pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Back