Prediction Changes Swans V Dogs 3.20pm Sunday 28/7/24

Remove this Banner Ad

According to Champion Data, Ed Richards is the best inside 50 kick in the AFL. This is based on degree of difficulty, not simply based on efficiency. Dan Houston from Port is second, and Toby Greene is third, but there is a fair distance between the first two and the rest of the competition.

It got me thinking, could we play Bailey Dale in a more forward-half role? He is the best kick on our team, and the most important kick is the one inside 50. He is also an excellent on-the-run kick for goal. Our midfield balance is fine at the moment, but depending on injuries or form, I think Dale would be an excellent option. Dale was on fire in the first-half against Carlton; in the second half, they sent Alex Cincotta as a hard tag which slowed him down. In situations like that, could we move him into a midfield/forward half-role and change the dynamics of a game?

If there was ever a week to try the combo of Lobb, Jones, Coff and Buku then it is this week. Swans have three talls plus Hayward
Lobb - Mclean
Khamis - Amartey
Jones - McDonald
Coffield - Hayward

If Jones is right to go I'd rest Duryea with papley out and play Freijah, Dale and Bramble as the smalls.
That’s a good call. Love how Doc has turned it around from last year but after that slog last week, saving him from a trip to Sydney with the 5 day back up v Dee’s afterwards might be just the ticket

If I was Bevo I would replaying Warner's smartass antics towards The Bont after he kicked a goal last game to the players for extra motivation. Ok it was a good mark that lead to the goal but from memory he clapped in Bont's face, pushed the Bont in the chest and showed him the scoreboard. Warner should be showing more respect to a champion person and player. I am sure The Bont will turn it on this week and the team will go with him.

If I was Bevo I would replaying Warner's smartass antics towards The Bont after he kicked a goal last game to the players for extra motivation. Ok it was a good mark that lead to the goal but from memory he clapped in Bont's face, pushed the Bont in the chest and showed him the scoreboard. Warner should be showing more respect to a champion person and player. I am sure The Bont will turn it on this week and the team will go with him.
Shame on anyone who booed a champion clapped in the face of a champion!

Seriously though, I hope Bont reams that club inside and out.

Last edited:

Everyone conveniently ignored the fact Warner played well after Richards went off.

Richards had him covered

According to Champion Data, Ed Richards is the best inside 50 kick in the AFL. This is based on degree of difficulty, not simply based on efficiency. Dan Houston from Port is second, and Toby Greene is third, but there is a fair distance between the first two and the rest of the competition.

It got me thinking, could we play Bailey Dale in a more forward-half role? He is the best kick on our team, and the most important kick is the one inside 50. He is also an excellent on-the-run kick for goal. Our midfield balance is fine at the moment, but depending on injuries or form, I think Dale would be an excellent option. Dale was on fire in the first-half against Carlton; in the second half, they sent Alex Cincotta as a hard tag which slowed him down. In situations like that, could we move him into a midfield/forward half-role and change the dynamics of a game?
We've got statistically the guy who is best in the league currently doing it, and you want to replace him with another guy who is also a good kick?

and the most important kick is the one inside 50

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that the last kick going inside 50 is the most important. If Dale nails a kick from our D50 which sets up a quick transition to an open forwardline, that's just as important imo. If the transition from D50 is slow then the last kick will be more difficult because it's now a super congested F50.

We've got statistically the guy who is best in the league currently doing it, and you want to replace him with another guy who is also a good kick?

Where have I suggested we replace/change Richards role?

Depending on game situations, like a hard tag, injuries, or being behind on the scoreboard with, say, 5 minutes to go or even short burst in qtrs, could we deploy Dale in a more forward-half role?

The greater volume of kicks/disposals Dale gets in and around the forward half of the ground, the greater the offensive threat we pose to the opposition. In fact, if we have learned anything from Richard's role change, it is that we should be open to further exploring the abilities and strengths of other players on our list.

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that the last kick going inside 50 is the most important. If Dale nails a kick from our D50 which sets up a quick transition to an open forwardline, that's just as important imo. If the transition from D50 is slow then the last kick will be more difficult because it's now a super congested F50.
I think that's fair. I should rephrase it to the hardest kick in football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always a silly suggestion given that we've already oriented our team defence roles around releasing Dale, with other defenders covering for him when he runs off his man. Dale takes our kick-ins for example, and we train to that structure. Even if we thought it was a good idea (though it isn't), structurally, we're so bedded down with Dale down back that we wouldn't make the move.

The statistically best kick in the league would still be playing in the backline if many here had their way..... always room for thought

I would be hesitant to move Dale unless he was in a big form slump or to negate a tag. Have liked our defensive mix and how they've played recently, but its not the most skilled group by foot and its not the fastest with Richards now in the midfield and Johannisen out. Very reliant on Dale to create a lot of the rebound from defensive 50.

Dale has arguably been the best half back in the league since the subbing in round 5. Hasn't escaped the attention of the media or stats nerds but somehow has of opposition coaches. Really surprised that he hasn't received any tags recently, has been cutting teams up with his ball use. Jordon was playing that sort of role for Sydney for a large part of the season, but it looked like he played mostly wing last week with McInerney injured, so Dale might be free to roam and dominate again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes Swans V Dogs 3.20pm Sunday 28/7/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back