Changes v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

i don't think heff and pev can play in the same team together on the fast surface of the dome. especially when we don't have too many injuries to our midfielders.

imo heff and pev will be competing for the same spot all year. but when jj and campo return they both may struggle for a spot in the side

is that because you think their midfield is slow???

It's not slow, but it's not overly quick.

It's definately not as quick as ours, they have a workhorse type midfield.

Carr, Carr, McManus, Hasebly, Bell. These are their core ball winners.

Headland, Crowley, Peake and the like all have some pace but none of them are pure midfielders.

They run hard Fremantle and they can look quick at times because of that, but they are a bigger bodied midfield. Few of their midfielders break the lines, especially with Black out, they leave that to their flankers.

To beat their midfield, we need to limit the supply and that means we are going to have to be stronger around the ball. We have to be better in close and for that reason it won't hurt to have Pev and Heff in the same.

Hypothetically speaking, if we started with Watson, Heff and Pev in the middle against Carr, Carr and Haselby, we're not going to get done for pace.

we shouldn't be trying to break even with their midfield. we should try to exploit their lack of pace. carr and haselby would kill pev and heff if they went head to head.

to win games on the dome you have to be able to run and carry

Can't exploit their lack of pace if we're not winning the footy.

We need strong bodies around the footy to make the best use of the pace we have. Dyson isn't going to win the footy against the Carr's and Haselby. Which means less supply for Davey, Jetta, Lovett, Winderlich etc.

Heff and Pev can do that.

I'm not a big advocate for playing both of them in the same side and when JJ is back I wouldn't play either of them. But against Freo we have to beat them at their own game first, in order to exploit them for pace.

watson, pev, hirdy and mcveigh/slats (if they go into the middle) can win the hard ball

we won plenty of the ball last week. what is the need to change it?

I understand what your saying Longy but just the thought of those 3 in the middle at the same times makes me shudder.

Of course, it wouldn't happen.

At anyone time we're going to have Winderlich, Lovett, Stanton, McVeigh, Hird hovering around the middle.

We won't get exposed for pace if Heff plays. It will give us another in close ball winner that will help us expose their lack of pace by supplying ball to our runners.

If Heff plays this week and i reckon he will, I wouldn't play him next week.

heff didn't do anything special for bendigo. he was serviceable without being spectacular.

does he deserve selection???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a stupid comparison at all. Your point wasn't about needing Heff in the midfield. It was about promoting blokes based on form.

On for Neagle is deserving of a position in the seniors. But we don't bring him in because he doesn't fit into the structure.

Against Freo Heff does that, it's not like he was horrible last week. He was still pretty damn solid. There weren't too many midfielders that were far and away better than him.

if he is to play regular afl footy he needs to be able to dominate the vfl

the midfield worked fine last week so why change it???
adelaide's midfield is quite similiar to freo's in regards to the strong bodies and lack of pace

if he is to play regular afl footy he needs to be able to dominate the vfl

the midfield worked fine last week so why change it???
adelaide's midfield is quite similiar to freo's in regards to the strong bodies and lack of pace

It's hard to dominate VFL games when the season hasn't started.

Have you been following the discussion, this isn't about changing the midfield, it's about finding a replacement for the injured Nathan Lovett-Murray.

We have to make a change and the choices are Dyson, Bradley or Heffernan. IMO it will be Heffernan.

Adelaide's midfield plays nothing like Fremantle's. For one, they don't have a dominant ruckman. Adelaide run in numbers, Fremantle don't do that.

when they were playing their best footy last year freo killed sides with their running in numbers

kepler played on the wing last week. heff is not a wingman, dyson is

laycock obviously won't be playing on the wing so somebody has to replace kepler there

when they were playing their best footy last year freo killed sides with their running in numbers

kepler played on the wing last week. heff is not a wingman, dyson is

laycock obviously won't be playing on the wing so somebody has to replace kepler there

Anyone else who played last week can play on the wing, we don't have to replace Kepler with any specific winger, Lovett, McPhee, Winderlich, Jetta, whoever, they can play on the wing while Heff and Peverill can be used in tagging roles

No they didn't. They over lap run.

They don't stream down the ground in numbers, they run from behind. Completely different to the way Adelaide go about business.

heff didn't play today so he may be playing tomorrow

He may be a better option...

Leg injury of some sort, groin maybe.

Does the wing position actually exist in the modern game?

Can you actually define someone as a wingman anymore? I'm trying to think and I can't actually think of a pure wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back