Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

My ideal semi-realistic changes

Moose for Chappy - needs to go back to Peel and learn how to defend again, Draper Assumes his role
Walker for Aish - Correct the mistake we made this week, couldn't believe we made this selection, need Walks for Kozzy
Darcy for Voss - Obvious one
Not really sure who we can bring in for Walters but semi-realistic says he isn't dropped anyway so stays sub
Wouldn't mind Fyfe or JOM managed but really not much coming up from underneath

Actual changes
Darcy for Voss
Moose for Draper
With a maybe on Walks for Wagner/Aish
Walters in for Sturt to be sub 🤮

I was thinking the same Re: Pearce in for Chapman. Some really significant howlers from Chapman today. He just seemed vary laconic.

And I would absolutely LOVE to see Draper given a chance at Chappy's Role. Take the pressure off him having to defend the oppo's best key forward and unleash Drapers attacking side...

I think I share the same fears as some that Walters will come in at the expense of Sturt. No denying Sturt had a bad game, but we should be looking at playing our best team/structure - not just dropping players for the sake of change after one bad loss. And I think Sturt is a part of our best forward structure (likewise Chapman is clearly in our best team).

This game also cemented my belief that Treacy shouldn’t be used as the #2 ruck anymore. He’s too important as a forward. The whole forward 50 just looked out of sync.

In - Darcy, Pearce, Walker
Out - Voss, Draper, Aish

The other thing I took away was we lack speed through the midfield. It’s why I’d give up anything for Warner. And we don’t have that guy we can inject for a bit of life when we’re struggling. Our big move is moving Switkowski into the middle. Something for the offseason.

Can't believe people calling for chaps to be omitted.

It was only last week people were praising him. I guess it really is only good as your last game and if they selected based on this , the team would never be settled

Although, chaps does need to work on few things . Gets caught HTB too much. His field kicking can either be elite or atrocious.. needs to reduce the gap

Last edited:

Can’t fit 9 (Pearce, Cox, Clark, Ryan, Chapman, Wagner, Walker, Aish, Draper) into 6-7 spots. I’d expect Walks to come back and match up on Kossie Pickett. We can move out Aish or Wagner to bench/Sub. Unfortunately Drapes will come out for Pearce. I say unfortunately because he has been very solid but we have missed Pearce and Cox improved from last week. So Drapes unlucky.
This is half the problem.

Can't fit 9 into 7 for sure ... But we've got so mu h competition for those 7 spots and match committee doesn't seem willing in the slightest to move 2 of these guys elsewhere.

Meanwhile we've got massive gaps on one wing, and in the small-mefium forwards.

Could Chapman/Aish/Wagner/Walker/Clarke deliver more on a wing than JOM?
could any of them go forward and be a threat? (Doesn't take a genius, with hindsight on our side, to see that Wilson would've been best served going forward than rotting at Peel until he retired).

Coach is scared to try things ... Hawthorn beat us by trying things on the weekend and we had no answer to it.

Chapman's been great all year. Was bad yesterday. You don't drop him for that - he still has so much flair and potential.

Shouldn't be playing the deepest defender though, I think that's an issue with having Aish/Wagner in. Too many rebounding types and not many you'd be confident in 1on1s. Chappy is definately more of a rebounder and should be played as so ... Or released up the ground.

Chapman's been great all year. Was bad yesterday. You don't drop him for that - he still has so much flair and potential.

Shouldn't be playing the deepest defender though, I think that's an issue with having Aish/Wagner in. Too many rebounding types and not many you'd be confident in 1on1s. Chappy is definately more of a rebounder and should be played as so ... Or released up the ground.

I think bringing Walker back in makes us a bit harder to score against. Probably Aish who makes way. I'd actually move Aish to sub and drop my favourite Freo player of all time, Son Son. Breaks my heart to even type the words but he's just having no impact.

I think I share the same fears as some that Walters will come in at the expense of Sturt. No denying Sturt had a bad game, but we should be looking at playing our best team/structure - not just dropping players for the sake of change after one bad loss. And I think Sturt is a part of our best forward structure (likewise Chapman is clearly in our best team).

This game also cemented my belief that Treacy shouldn’t be used as the #2 ruck anymore. He’s too important as a forward. The whole forward 50 just looked out of sync.

Out - Voss, Draper, Aish

The other thing I took away was we lack speed through the midfield. It’s why I’d give up anything for Warner. And we don’t have that guy we can inject for a bit of life when we’re struggling. Our big move is moving Switkowski into the middle. Something for the offseason.

Agree. Treacy needs to play 100% forward.

Problem is there's no one else to play second ruck.

This may be a long way out of left field but if Darcy or Jackson are not available, I'd seriously (no jokes, actually serious) consider playing Nathan Fyfe as the second ruck.

Agree. Treacy needs to play 100% forward.

Problem is there's no one else to play second ruck.

This may be a long way out of left field but if Darcy or Jackson are not available, I'd seriously (no jokes, actually serious) consider playing Nathan Fyfe as the second ruck.

We could have easily used Voss as the second ruck and kept our most dangerous forward inside the F50.

Draper should stay in and Chappy sent to play wing.
My previous post was very much tongue in cheek. Not meant to be taken seriously.
Chappy had a bad one....... but drop him! no wsy. Some one said to drop Cox...I mean seriously. Did he not get eniugh FF or SC points!!!.
Draper sent back to Peel. I mean ....WTF.
The changes will be ones that have to happen to bring back st least Darcy.... Voss.
Pearce.....maybe Wagner. Or Walters with Wags sub.

Out - Voss, Draper, Aish

Wouldn’t mind Switkowski if a suitable replacement is there. Emmett is off the boil, so it’s not going to happen.

Wouldn’t mind trying Jackson in the midfield with Darcy. Jackson isn’t a ruck but he is elite at ground ball and working his way out of traffic. Then can have Treacy, Amiss and Voss/Tabs.
Jackson is being wasted as a positional player when his potential is huge. Can easily go wing, inside mid, half back, half forward. Just not ruck

My previous post was very much tongue in cheek. Not meant to be taken seriously.
Chappy had a bad one....... but drop him! no wsy. Some one said to drop Cox...I mean seriously. Did he not get eniugh FF or SC points!!!.
The changes will be ones that have to happen to bring back st least Darcy.... Voss.
Wagner shouldn’t be dropped. He provides more pace and ball movement vs a slow Aish.
Feel like Draper will need to be rested and given time in Peel for a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t mind trying Jackson in the midfield with Darcy. Jackson isn’t a ruck but he is elite at ground ball and working his way out of traffic. Then can have Treacy, Amiss and Voss/Tabs.
Jackson is being wasted as a positional player when his potential is huge. Can easily go wing, inside mid, half back, half forward. Just not ruck

I wouldn’t mind seeing Jackson having stints on the wing. Like how Essendon are using Harrison Jones to create mismatches, especially pushing forward. Same with the Saints and Mason Wood. It’s where the game is going.

I think one benefit of that is it gives Treacy and Amiss more room inside forward 50. So I wouldn’t then play Voss too.

Also unrelated, but Draper will be so much better for going back to Peel for the rest of the season and hopefully dominate. There’s no need to try to force him into Chapman’s role like some have suggested. Draper’s best game in terms of disposals is Chapman’s average. We’d lose so much rebound. Let Draper finally learn at Peel.

Some of you don't rate him but we really missed Walker in Tas.
He would have taken Sicily to town yesterday.
I'm not sure what we do with Walters.
He is starting to look cooked.
Can we sit him in the goal square for the rest of the year ?
We are also carrying Fyfe and Aish.
I don't think they have anywhere to hide.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Jackson having stints on the wing. Like how Essendon are using Harrison Jones to create mismatches, especially pushing forward. Same with the Saints and Mason Wood. It’s where the game is going.

I think one benefit of that is it gives Treacy and Amiss more room inside forward 50. So I wouldn’t then play Voss too.

Also unrelated, but Draper will be so much better for going back to Peel for the rest of the season and hopefully dominate. There’s no need to try to force him into Chapman’s role like some have suggested. Draper’s best game in terms of disposals is Chapman’s average. We’d lose so much rebound. Let Draper finally learn at Peel.
Still think our fwd line functions with the three talls...and neither Treacy or amiss having to take the best def... We seen this alot last year..playing without a third tall

I'm not suggesting we force Draper in to Chapman role... I'm suggesting we liberate him into Chapman's role.

Shift him away from the oppo's best forward and watch him rack up the disposals.

PS: This is just a hypothetical and not what I'm suggesting we should actually do... I'm just saying I'd like to see Draper as a 3rd defender rather than a 1st. I think Draper's ceiling is incredibly high and I'd love to see what Draper is capable of with more opportunity to attack. You know... for funsies.

And I rate Chapman very highly, but he's been weak defensively and indecisive with the ball in hand numerous times over the last couple weeks....

And our backline is stacked with talent and dropping Chappy would make a bold statement that lapses in intensity will leave you in the 2nds.

Darcy for Voss, Pearce for Draper

From there would probably go Walker for Aish.

Sturt was good not great last week, but really needs to eliminate games like yesterday from his repertoire. If he’s too hampered by knee, don’t play him.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Coop in as sub for an injection of youth / the future. Doesn’t get enough of it, but at the end of the day he’s probably not gonna offer much less than Walter’s.

I didn't say drop him. I said send him up the ground. Draper is defending better than Chappy atm and we are too slow on the outside up the ground. Won't happen because it is too late in the year.

I'm not suggesting we force Draper in to Chapman role... I'm suggesting we liberate him into Chapman's role.

Shift him away from the oppo's best forward and watch him rack up the disposals.

PS: This is just a hypothetical and not what I'm suggesting we should actually do... I'm just saying I'd like to see Draper as a 3rd defender rather than a 1st. I think Draper's ceiling is incredibly high and I'd love to see what Draper is capable of with more opportunity to attack. You know... for funsies.

And I rate Chapman very highly, but he's been weak defensively and indecisive with the ball in hand numerous times over the last couple weeks....

And our backline is stacked with talent and dropping Chappy would make a bold statement that lapses in intensity will leave you in the 2nds.

I think Draper is actually a guy that could do that. Moves well, attacks on instinct and a good kick.

Chappy just had an off game really though I think - his disposal is seriously impressive this year. Just needs to work on his effort a bit. Can't afford to take anything at half pace at AFL level, even when you think you have time and spae.

The interesting question would be as you say can we move Chappy up the ground. His disposal is so good you almost want him up with young kicking it into 50. Could be a bit unnatural though.

I think Draper is actually a guy that could do that. Moves well, attacks on instinct and a good kick.

Chappy just had an off game really though I think - his disposal is seriously impressive this year. Just needs to work on his effort a bit. Can't afford to take anything at half pace at AFL level, even when you think you have time and spae.

The interesting question would be as you say can we move Chappy up the ground. His disposal is so good you almost want him up with young kicking it into 50. Could be a bit unnatural though.

Yep. I reckon Draper could be huge for us. And I'm also interested to see what Chappy would look like on a wing.

CHapman's last quarter V Hawks was IMO really solid. But at times earlier on, he just didn't look switched on. Same could be said for many.

The inconsistency across the whole group is what killed us yesterday... that, and goal kicking. And that happens with young teams.

When we learn to consistently play 4 quarters with intensity and take our opportunities and we will be unstoppable.

I don't think forward pressure was the problem yesterday.

It was one of our better parts of our game.

We just didn't kick straight.

Yes we had 13 forward 50 tackles to only 8 for the Hawks and outscored them 44 to 40 from forward half turnovers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I get the thinking. Might be something fun for the future. But it’s something Draper has never done at any level.

Let him get double figure possessions for Peel first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back