Changes v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Davey will probably come in - but not sure if hes a certainty. Why tincker with something that is already working pretty well...?? The only one we could drop would be Howlett I reckon
Thinkning more about match ups for their dangerous/in form players and Ive come with;-

Goodes - Hooker
O'Keefe - Hocking
McVeigh - McVeigh
McGlynn - Myers
Bolton (if forward) - Hardingham

Should be a cracking game and even if a few guys sacrifice their game to tag others we have enough class with the likes of Watson, Zaka, Dempsey, Hurley, Melksham, Ryder & Hille to cause the Swans some serious headaches

unless forced i can't see the 21 changing - no-one deserves to be dropped on that effort.

the 22nd man (sub) is the interesting one - does NLM need a full hitout at VFL level? (given he only played a quarter yesterday) the same goes for davey more-so so i'd rule him out for a sub role as he needs match fitness. The main reason essendon were so dominant for mine was fitness - they were first to the contest time and time again so fitness is a key. Prismall will be made to earn his spot so likely to play VFL. The best performed in the VFL was Reimers and he could actually work well as a sub injecting some pace and excitement in the 2nd half in an ideal world (no injuries etc). Gumby to have another week in the VFL after Crameri's good 2nd half. Bellchambers the unluckiest ruckman in the comp at the moment but a good problem to have.

So i'd either leave NLM as sub or bring in Reimers as the sub.

Winders lack of form? 4 assists, 10+ contested possessions and a goal playing forward...

Had a good game and played his role excellently.

Consistently handballed to guys in a worse position than take a shot. His inability to kick at goal will start costing us.

Davey plays the role better than Winderlich - hence the change. Pushing guys like Winderlich and Welsh out of team says we have improved.

I read somewhere that Reimers was BOG for Bendigo. If so Gumbleton, Davey, Reimers, Hibberd, Prismal, TBell and Williams could all be playing as well as Pears, Slattery and Welsh to come back from injury!!

Our list has plenty of coverage and this means without a massive injury list we should be able to keep up the intensity all year. Of the available players only Davey will be picked when no one deserves to be dropped. You wont find anyone playing a defenders role dropped for him. The team policy is very set in picking everyone to play a role. Winderlich may be in trouble or a midfielder will be dropped and Winderlich moved up the ground to play there leaving room for Davey on the forward line.

At this stage the rest of the available players should be told to go back and dominate the VFL and will be first cab off the rank should someone get hurt. Once they are in the side then they wont be dropped if they deserve it.

The match committee should be ruthless to weak and lazy efforts. Mistakes will happen but intensity should be maintained by a full-time professional unit.

As bad as we looked at times last year Knights should be congratulated for the development of a few players and he, along with Dodoro and Keane, for developing the list very well. The new coaching staff certainly have a better match day system in place and are doing a good job at building confidence in players like Myers and discipline in players like Dempsey but without our deep and even list and players like Watson and Hocking playing the way they do this wouldn't happen.

Consistently handballed to guys in a worse position than take a shot. His inability to kick at goal will start costing us.

Davey plays the role better than Winderlich - hence the change. Pushing guys like Winderlich and Welsh out of team says we have improved.

agree with welsh, not winderlich - he's an important member of essendon's team. he handballed off once to mcveigh when he should have kicked himself but can't recall any other times.

in terms of davey he's a worse kick for goal than winderlich and needs a hitout in the vfl for match fitness.

why change a team that just crapped all over a so-called premiership threat? why change for the sake of it. unchanged thanks.

Don't think we need to change for the sake of change, if Howlett pulls out through injury, one of the forwards may take his position as a midfield rotation (Zaharakis, Winderlich) with Alwyn Davey coming in.

Don't think we have anything to worry about, re Crameri.. bit of push and shove, that's all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I ever catch you whinging about Knights' selection policy, I'll remember that post... ;)

Doubt Lonergan will be dropped, he was solid - his best game since 2009.
I'd hardly go dropping a mid for a back to slot a skinny kid in for a big body.
Regardless, Hibberd's still injured isn't he?

my mail is they may make room quickly for a Davey and Hibberd, but the rest arent seen as best 22 and will have to earn a spot.

not sure whod be in the gun after that effort though, but cant see Lonergan going anywhere, especially playing Sydney.

Howlett perhaps, not sure how he pulled up.

I appreciate Lonergan's ability to get the contest ball, but he cannot do anything else.

Last two games he's gotten 10+ contested possessions but has hardly been seen unless it is on the bottom of a pack. Few clearances and poor disposal efficiency. Also doesn't get as many tackles in. I would have Howlett ahead of him every time.

However it might be that his grunt in there is what is helping Hocking and Watson shine, so he should get another go and stay in. Team balance is more important than individual stats.

If they do want a more in and out player we're better with Davey coming in for Lonergan (Howlett if injured) and Winders getting some midfield run (he is one of the best contested possession players in our team, I think he might have even been #1-2 last year?).

Hopefully we can get everyone fit and be hitting this season with Gumby, Reimers, Pears, Slattery, Williams, T-Bell etc all pushing decent form for Bendigo. Will keep the team honest and hungry.

Davey, if declared medically fit after the broken arm, would replace Lonergan/Winders. Whichever of Lonergan and Winders stays in the team may end up as the sub with NLM going to Bendigo. Although I do stand by my initial point: NLM is the PERFECT type vs Sydney. Not sure where his fitness is but to me he could run with Goodes, certainly if he used as a sub in the second half when he'll have fresh legs.

I am concerned about the CHF position.

Gus toils and is quite effective but he just doesn't seem suited to the quicker longer kicks onto the wing and to the half forward flank. A lot of kicks went over his head or were too high to give him any realistic chance of competing.

Enter Gumby.

The guy was custom built for being the lead up CHF. A few reviews on BB said that he presented well all day for Bendigo (vs Collingwood). Can anyone shed any light on his overall fitness?

I am thinking that we bring in Gumby for the injured Howlett and add Monfries or Crameri to the midfield rotation. Hurley was being triple teamed at times and event though Ryder and Hille were effective the forward line seemed a tall short.

However it might be that his grunt in there is what is helping Hocking and Watson shine, so he should get another go and stay in. Team balance is more important than individual stats.
That's exactly what I'm getting at.
If anyone can point out where the balance went wrong last week I'd be interested to know because it looked pretty much right to me for what they want to do.

At best, I could see NLM (does win contested footy, did very well early last year) coming into Sammy's spot, and someone else entirely as the sub - but I don't think he's done anything wrong whatsoever.
He'd be useless as the sub - IMHO you want someone who's versatile, can spark a few goals & run and carry it.

Davey might edge our Lonergan? Lonergan did have 9 CPs and by no means a bad game but it could be just one of those things that since we've got a number of playings doing well for CPs we might sacrifice one for a bit more x-factor up forward.

No thanks, the reason we where able to smash the Dogs in the middle was big body midfielders.
We do not need to move light weights into the middle.
Part of Hirds game plan is to have Lonergan, Hocking, McVeigh, Watson, Howlett etc to provide the contested possession.It is totally suited to lonergans game.

Who said anything about moving Davey into the middle?

But you take a key piece out of the middle and replace him with who ?

IMO people do not know how important players like Lonergan who keep crashing in non stop really are. You need the 4 or 5 of them.
Winderlich is no good in there and neither is Stanton. It is not Jettas go and Zaka is not ready or is not really that type anyway.

One that could work is Crameri but he is working well in the forward half.

To me if you are getting Davey in the side then one of Monfries, Jetta or Winderlich has to go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back