Changes v Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
as i stated before the game i wanted bellchambers and houli in for myers and a sore lonergan who needed a rest. its frustrating that IMO i've had better judgement than those in the inner sanctum at the selection table.

this week bellchambers has to come in. whilst he is in the ruck it frees up ryder as a target up forward which was lacking tonight. hooker has to play back with fletcher likely out and hurley/daniher still getting over injuries. given the prospect of buddy ryder might also be needed for that job if the younger guys get mauled.

pretty much have to concede we'll lose to hawthorn and therefore not risk any players carrying or recovering from injury.

my changes:

in: bellchambers, houli
out: fletcher, lonergan

roughead - pears
franklin - hooker/ryder

i'll be surprised if the margins less than 10 goals.
Yeah, we're destined to flog them ;)

as i stated before the game i wanted bellchambers and houli in for myers and a sore lonergan who needed a rest. its frustrating that IMO i've had better judgement than those in the inner sanctum at the selection table.

Wow, so you can magically see that bellchambers would have had a better game then hooker and that houli would have a better then lonergan! How about sharing some lottery numbers with us, or maybe you could tell us who will win at caulfield race course tommorrow?

Well I came onto your board to check the word on form and injuries from the Bris game tonight cos Im a HFC member....but I thought the title to this thread was so intelligent, considerate and thoughtful that I just had to post a reply.

It really is a mark of the bloke for Davo to take it upon himself to help out a struggling club like the Hawks by advertising their Major Sponsor on the essendon board. In fact, it's integral to the financial survival of Hawthorn that Davo and others like him take such a proactive approach to plugging the largest single and ongoing sponsorship deal in the AFL on the Essendon board. I tip my hat to you Davo, you have my respect and admiration and assure you that the Tassie Govt would be very appreciative that you're giving them such value for their sponsorship dollar - afterall, the youngest list in the competition, a premiership and 52,000 members really wont give them enough sponsorship exposure alone. So keep up the good work!

Myers is getting valuable experience and fitness playing in the side, and i don't see how dropping him will help fast track his improvment whatsoever. Same applies to Jetta, persist with the under 21 players in order to develop them for the future, it should fall on the senior players when we lose, not the kids.

In: T-Bell, Hurley, McVeigh (if not fit then Houli)
Out: Fletch, Lucas, NLM

Hurley - Roughie, Pears - Franklin, Hooker - Williams, Dempsey - Osborne, with hooker playing the Fletcher role. I would play McPhee as our CHF, Lloyd from the goal square, with Ryder playing 50/50 foward and ruck, and hopefully belly will be able to stand up in the ruck for half the game.

Expect Myers to play in the midfield for the next couple of weeks and to show what class he really is :D

Zaka has to go this week. A goal is handy, but just hasn't given enough. Needs a rest.

Lucas... well I was about giving him a go, but he's now on his last chance.

Apart from Winderlich and Watson I thought our whole midfield was really poor and should be embarassed.

Out: Zaka, Fletch (if injured)
In: McVeigh, Hurley

Wow, so you can magically see that bellchambers would have had a better game then hooker and that houli would have a better then lonergan! How about sharing some lottery numbers with us, or maybe you could tell us who will win at caulfield race course tommorrow?

go back to the threads before the game - i didn't think this up in hindsight...

if you read the threads in the lead up to the game i wanted both hooker and bellchambers in given in the last two weeks both daniher and hille went out of the side with only one big bloke coming in (hooker). with lucas underperforming as a key target, an injury cloud on lloyd it made no sense to not have an extra big bloke. in the end they stupidly went with an undersized mcphee against j.brown in the beginning. if bellchambers was playing either hooker or ryder could have played down back from the outset and freeing up mcphee to play high forward/wing as a better mobile target than lucas.

i also explained that given it was lonergan's first match in afl for a month last week that he would be sore especially given the hits he took including a corkie. a fully fit houli would have contributed more against brisbane and we would have then had a fresh, rested lonergan raring to go for the hawthorn match.

at the start of the year knights was continually talking up playing 4 talls up forward (lloyd/lucas/gumby/neagle) and at times even hille. how things have changed...now tonight we had just lloyd and an out of form lucas...surely an extra big man in perfect conditions would make sense?

i suspect the coaches and selectors were also too satisfied with the anzac win along with the players...disgraceful for all to let down fletcher on his 300th. one of the clubs greatest players of all time and they didn't give a yelp...not happy...fletch has given 101% in every game he has played for the club and the blokes didn't even have a fair dinkum go.

it sure would be nice to bring in hurley this week as he'd be a good matchup for roughead but he's still getting over his quad strain. we're likely to lose this match anyway so for the long term benefit of this kid we shouldn't rush him back just because fletcher is injured.

Jetta is starting to play alot better, definately leave him in there. No one better to come in and play his role is there. Myers also starting to look alot better :thumbsu:

Out: Lucas , Fletch
In: Houli, Bellchambers

Assuming McVeigh is still not 100%

I don't get why you are making Myers your scapegoat this week. His disposal was good, tried hard all night.

His fitness looks like it picked up again so I expect a role in the middle next week. Don't judge him when he is playing in a foreign position.

He had 4 kicks and 9 handballs at 77%.

He is a liabiliity at the moment and I don't understand what he adds to the team. It seems like he is getting games based on his draft selection number and thats not right..

Unless McVeigh is fit or one of Daniher/Hurley then no change. We are basically a 5% chance to win, 15% chance to keep it decent and an 80% chance of being blown away on recent form vs. the Hawks so we might as well send the ANZACS back out against mission impossible and see if they can get us in the first 20%.

P.S. Matthew Knights if you are reading this don't dare start McPhee on Buddy or Roughy you twat. McPhee is not, I repeat not a key defender hes our quarterback.

The AFL are really very clever. They promote individual matches and rounds heavily. They make gimmicks out of them. Where once upon a time it was simply the rigmarole of home and away matches all year, now it's the same rigmarole punctuated by;
rivalry round (which unofficially will happen more than once for most clubs)
anzac day
dreamtime
heritage round etc.

These punctuations make the individual home and away match seem finals like, thus producing nervous energy in the players and the resulting intensity at the ball that we saw last week. The best thing about this is that we know our team are big game performers.

What happened last night was part of an anti-climax for our players, and part of a climax for Brisbane. The pattern was set with the big game mentality of the Carlton match and the anti-climax of the North match which wasn't as hyped by the media or players. The crowd figures for the last four matches, I think, are quite telling in this regard.

v. Blues: 70 000
v. North: 34 000
v. Pies: 85 000
v. Lions: 29 000

For Brisbane, who were unequivocally smashed by Geelong last week, the only way was up.

Our boys, at this stage psychologically, don't deserve to play finals because they haven't adapted to the psychological ups and downs of the home and away season. It hasn't clicked, to the group, that every game counts. The sooner they realise that for instance, the ANZAC Day game, is no more or less important than that against a wooden spoon contender from West Butt ****, the better.

When this realisation hits and we win two or three in succession, then hopefully the momentum will take over, and every match that comprises a winning streak will seem more important. As it is, last night they were going through the motions.

Our intensity at the ball, at the stoppages, in the middle, was well below what it was last week, with no good reason. We didn't chase as hard and we didn't commit to tackling as hard. Ryder for instance, as good as he was last week, is not a champion this week and hasn't taken that next step up because he hasn't maintained that consistency. (FWIW I think he should have been on Brown, who he mopped up last year, with T Bell in the ruck).

The only player for whom the intensity of the occassion was clear, I think, was Hooker. He recognised that this was his chance to impress and find game time in the firsts. Last night was Hooker's 'match against Calrton' so to speak. We saw the same attitude with Hocking earlier in the year, and I think to some extent with Daniher.

Sadly, Scott, it's obvious to all and sundry that the thrill has gone.
Hooker should be given a crack at playing forward. Then with Ryder, TBell and Hooker all on the field perhaps we can get a rotation through the ruck duties that will allow those players to conserve their energy for other duties. This would also give Ryder a shot up forward.

Lloyd still has my confidence. He always looks dangerous. Pears, how impressive. If Fletcher is injured I have my fingers crossed for Hurley. If Fletcher isn't injured and Hurley's right to go, maybe Slattery's out. Someone kick Dempsey in the backside and remind him that one good game in the firsts does not constitute the privelege of resting during the next three.

The absence of Welsh, McVeigh, Reimers and even Skipworth is stark. The absence of effective leading forwards who regularly kick goals is even more so. Perhaps another option is Neagle in the square and Lloyd at half forward. Surely Neagle can't miss from there, and he's big enough.

A real highlight last night - Dyson to Lloyd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haven't seen it, heard Watson was our best, and Lucas a liability, so what I've heard from:

OUT: Lucas, Myers, Fletch
IN: Belly, McVeigh, Hurley/Daniher

I dont think our match was that bad tonight, we didnt execute the game plan as well as we normally do but the thing that really lost us the game was our conversion inside forward 50,

9.14 isnt good enough.

Ins: Hurley, Houli
Outs: Fletcher, Myers

Fletcher to be replaced by Hurley is pretty straight forward. Hurley to take roughhead, pears on franklin.
Myers looked terrible imo last night, he did a few ok things but he was turned inside out by his opponent quite a few times and was made to look like a lumbering ruckmen, if we plan to have this guy in the midfield later in his career then he has a long way to go. IMO he doenst suit our game plan, he struggles to make the right decisisons by hand which is a key part of our run out of defence and always looks to kick it long. struggles to lower his eyes when looking forward, he doesnt use his elite kicking qualities to advantage. Lower your eyes myers and kick a bullet pass into the forward 50 instead of an up and under kick

Different rules for different players it seems. If Dyson does a clanger going in hard for the ball that leads to a goal, there'd be 10 posts about it, hell probably even a topic saying he should be dropped and it's the same old Dyson. NLM does the same, maybe a 'Oh well at least he was trying hard' comment will be said. So sick of the blame Dyson fad.

Your kidding yourself mate. No matter how well NLM plays each week he still cops shit from people like you, let's not get too hipocritical. NLM had a grand total of 3 clangers last night- hardly warrants an omission. We need bigger bodies atm, and NLM is in very good form.

Why on earth would people want to drop NLM? I thought he was one of our better players last night, gave us run, composure and got a good share of the ball. We do want to win games don't we?

Why on earth would people want to drop NLM? I thought he was one of our better players last night, gave us run, composure and got a good share of the ball. We do want to win games don't we?

Because his clangers killed us..:thumbsdown:

How could you drop Monfries after one terrible effort. At least he gives me some hope in the forward line and is genuinely gifted.

I'm sorry but Myers has been useless all year. 4 kick, 9 handballs and 1 mark tonight and I'd love to see his efficiency too......

I couldn't give a f**k what pick he is. He is no good at the moment and needs to go. Has been a liabaility nearly all season.

Eff was 77%. I thought he was reasonable last night. Started to show a bit more run and looked a bit fitter. He made a couple of decision errors but i would continue to play him.

I still think that despite his average form you are still judging him on how much of an instant impact you wanted him to have. He needs game time and he was not one of our worst last night.

Because his clangers killed us..:thumbsdown:
Yes he did have a few bad turnovers, but i wouldv'e thought that he gave us alot more positives then he did negatives in the match. He's certainly not in our best 22, but at the moment with the players we have available, there's no way he should be left out.

this week bellchambers has to come in. whilst he is in the ruck it frees up ryder as a target up forward which was lacking tonight. hooker has to play back with fletcher likely out and hurley/daniher still getting over injuries. given the prospect of buddy ryder might also be needed for that job if the younger guys get mauled.

pretty much have to concede we'll lose to hawthorn and therefore not risk any players carrying or recovering from injury.

my changes:

in: bellchambers, houli
out: fletcher, lonergan

roughead - pears
franklin - hooker/ryder

i'll be surprised if the margins less than 10 goals.

Our poor kicking cost us any chance but your judgement on who we should have played was better than the clubs.
Please do explain how Bellchambers would have contained Brennan and Clarke around the ground any better than Ryder and Hooker did. Take a look at the rukc. It was equal. Ryder had the better hit out to advantage.
I would alos hate to think how many Brown would have kicked if anyone else had to go to him after Fletcher went down. Hooker did a good job for a third game player.
Myers did what he had to. Given we suffered from a slight drop off in defensive pressure i doubt that Houli would have made a difference to the result. as far as Lonergan goes he was fine until Lloyd bowled him over. You can not keep resting your players every time they have a tough game. Do you see Geelong or Hawthorn resting any of their third year plus players ?
I think you are drinking your own bath water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back