Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me wants Harmes to come in specifically to get into Toady.

Worked last time.

Apart from Greene, yeah to him going to Whitfield.
Bedford jones Thomas Daniels and Greene. Those small/medium quick/marking fwds are going to be our biggest concern.
Who matches up on who ?

Bedford jones Thomas Daniels and Greene. Those small/medium quick/marking fwds are going to be our biggest concern.
Who matches up on who ?
Bedford has been playing as a tagger but I agree that will be where we lose the game.

We have Duryea, Bramble & Dale to matchup on Jones, Thomas & Daniels. Greene is always a worry. I’d like Jones on him but without Lobb in defence then he’ll have to go to Hogan. I suspect we might see JOD have a crack at him? Buku can go to Cadman, I don’t want to see him anywhere near Hogan or Greene.

EDIT: Thomas didn’t play last week and they had a taller interchange of Himmelberg & Keefe.

Not that the Giants would ever throw the game but it’s interesting looking at the ladder.

Win and there’s a big chance they have to play a qualifying final in Adelaide. Lose and there’s a decent chance they gain a qualifying final in Sydney if Geelong win by enough.

Who matches up on who ?
I reckon out biggest concerns are:

Daniels - in great form. Likely match-ups for us is Bramble when he's fwd, but this guy has been going into the middle as well, so maybe our Daniel tracks him.

Hogan - Jones played his best game since the first half of the season. Great timing and should match up well.

Whitfield - sets them up and in AA form. We have two likely options in McNeill and VDM. Both are players we can afford to sacrifice as we aren't relying on them to hit the scoreboard. VDM probably has the legs to go with him.

Greene - will be his usual threat. Sticking with Dureya on him

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon out biggest concerns are:

Daniels - in great form. Likely match-ups for us is Bramble when he's fwd, but this guy has been going into the middle as well, so maybe our Daniel tracks him.

Hogan - Jones played his best game since the first half of the season. Great timing and should match up well.

Whitfield - sets them up and in AA form. We have two likely options in McNeill and VDM. Both are players we can afford to sacrifice as we aren't relying on them to hit the scoreboard. VDM probably has the legs to go with him.

Greene - will be his usual threat. Sticking with Dureya on him

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am confident in Jones being able to match or best Hogan in the forward 50, its the work Hogan does up the ground and his massive tank that has me worried. He is basically doing a Jeremy Cameron but better.

While he fluffed a couple of kicks his attack in the contest was good and for a brilliant tackle from Day he would have kicked a nice goal.
I have stated on here many times of plenty of not only good players but great players have had poor first games. I think I even read Kade Simpson had no possession in his first 3 games.
I'd say there are many other things the coaches want Charlie to work on. He will make it, but only when they feel he is ready to do the things they want to see. It was the same with Rhylee West. It's great that Adz is also working with Charlie and Artie to help get them up to speed.

Agree Harmes should come in for West.

Pretty sickening we find ourselves reliant on the final round of the year for the 3rd year in a row.
I think that is the nature of the game these days. For most if not all of the season there is usually only one game separating the 5th and the 12th team on the ladder. So, it's not that sickening, it's just the modern-day reality of how the AFL is successfully equalising the competition overall.

Except for North Melbourne and Richmond, anybody can still beat them ... Thrashing them mercilessly is the AFL equivalent of kicking a puppy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but Bevo breaks Ted Whitten's coaching record this week as he coaches the WB for the 229th time.
That also shows us how lucky we have been with Bont.
Bont has only been at the club one more year than Bevo, along with the key difference that players can miss due to injury/form/suspension but the coach coaches every game. Yet theres just 10 games the difference between the two.

Bont: 238 games
Bevo: 228 games.

Amazing

That also shows us how lucky we have been with Bont.
Bont has only been at the club one more year than Bevo, along with the key difference that players can miss due to injury/form/suspension but the coach coaches every game. Yet theres just 10 games the difference between the two.

Bont: 238 games
Bevo: 228 games.

Amazing
Bont Games missed:
  • 2014: 6 (all before round 10 when he played 2/8, afterwhich he didn't miss a game)
  • 2015: 2
  • 2018: 3
  • 2022: 1
  • 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023, 2024: 0
That's remarkable. He's effectively missed 6 games since cementing his spot from round 10 2014 until today, playing 238 of a possible 244. Since late 2018 he's played 139 of a possible 140, despite regularly carrying plenty of niggles as well as an entire football club on his back.

Last edited:
Teams last time we played, I thought Sam Taylor missed for some reason.

1724218646446.png

Pretty sickening we find ourselves reliant on the final round of the year for the 3rd year in a row.
Very true statement and if we kicked more accurately for goal I don’t think we would be in this position but compared to last year at least our destiny is still in our own hands. We don’t need to rely on Carlton or anyone else doing us a favour. That’s Freo’s lot this year.

It’s all on the line, if we show up mentally prepared then I think we will win. Have to take the game on and play to our ability and please for once, can we kick straight for goal!

Gallaghers disposal scares me in a final especially, with added heat.

Think he can become a good player but he is way too scrappy at the moment.

Rather get Harmes back into the side.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Totally agree, he plays really hard and you can never question his commitment but every game he has at least 2-3 absolute clangers and we can’t afford that in a final.

Sub at best for mine.

Coffield is looking the same actually. Don’t think he gets back in. Would rather have Harmes or Poulter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back