Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

They were always going to give him until after tomorrow's session.

Meanwhile.. Haynes back for the coin toss

We don't normally do the injured player who isn't going to play, listed as emergency or ducks and drakes with selection much. I feel like naming him on field means they are confident he is going to be play and will be named in the 22. Could be wrong, we'll see but I didn't expect him to be named in the squad.

Club obviously confident that Tim isn’t risking aggravating an injury by playing..or risking it for a must-win game, unless he’s a late out

Was hoping to see Harmes in but it may be a weird blessing in disguise, as I don't think we could play both Harmes and West in the senior side and come finals time, I'd prefer West.

Last edited:
Could Appearances like this mean Smith may be staying? Why would he willingly put his hand up to being asked if he's leaving every interaction he has? I could not imagine anything more awkward than signing autographs to dogs fans if you know you're leaving.
Because Smith is still contracted at the club until the end of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Bailey Smith come to Dogs games? I can't remember seeing a shot of him in the crowd or in the rooms. I've probably just missed him because I don't tend to watch the after game guff.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on that I'd say Garcia for West
From the presser, I think more likely is Poulter in to take the wing minutes McNeil played last week with McNeil taking West's forward role.

Even if Smith was leaving still doing stuff for the club I'm guessing was the quid pro quo for letting him leave for Europe in the middle of the year.

English in is good is very good, meaning that Lobb can come in for Khamis in defence effectively.

And gee I sure hope English is 100%. Risking him off a foot injury when the club's messaging was consistent in saying he'd need another week scares the shit out of me... not a player who historically plays well through injury, either. Hope this isn't an egg on face moment.

Reading the Giants board, they’re like that ex girlfriend that keeps posting about you, but you’ve all but forgotten her.

Rivalry my ass. They need it to think they’re a relevant AFL team, but most Bulldogs supporters think about the plastics once a year, when we watch the highlights from our win.

Guess it’ll be twice this year.

We did win by 2 goals 15 last time. 17 more scoring shots is a smashing and we are home at MARS. So I guess we should be favourite,
GWS have also been very fortuitous playing some very middling footy against bad teams in recent weeks.

They've won 7 in a row, but incredibly, four of those games they were the weaker team according to expected score.
Even their most recent lost to Adelaide by 16 points was a 31-point expected score loss.
Compare our own 39-point loss to Adelaide which was "only" a 6-point expected score loss.

Not a single one of our wins would have been overturned on expected scores this season, where again, four of GWS's seven wins in their win streaks would have likely been losses if both teams kicked to league average accuracy.

Just as an aside I find it very annoying this year that there's every chance that only one of the four form/best teams on the season (Port) will actually make top 4. It might make the finals series more exciting - one of us, Hawks, Brisbane have to get knocked out in the first week but whicever two of those teams win through to week 2 is a very good chance of winning the flag - but as a person that's interested in fairness I can't cop Sydney, Geelong, GWS having a very reasonable chance of winning the flag. It feels like there's more unfair, lucky high ladder positions this year than there are in most.

GWS have also been very fortuitous playing some very middling footy against bad teams in recent weeks.

They've won 7 in a row, but incredibly, four of those games they were the weaker team according to expected score.
Even their most recent lost to Adelaide by 16 points was a 31-point expected score loss.
Compare our own 39-point loss to Adelaide which was "only" a 6-point expected score loss.

Not a single one of our wins would have been overturned on expected scores this season, where again, four of GWS's seven wins in their win streaks would have likely been losses if both teams kicked to league average accuracy.

Just as an aside I find it very annoying this year that there's every chance that only one of the four form/best teams on the season (Port) will actually make top 4. It might make the finals series more exciting - one of us, Hawks, Brisbane have to get knocked out in the first week but whicever two of those teams win through to week 2 is a very good chance of winning the flag - but as a person that's interested in fairness I can't cop Sydney, Geelong, GWS having a very reasonable chance of winning the flag. It feels like there's more unfair, lucky high ladder positions this year than there are in most.
Thanks to having a fixture rather than a draw.

The number one issue facing the AFL imho moving forward.

Geelong in particular has a fairly easy draw. Seems to be a recurring theme with them.

I'm not sure about the others

Does Bailey Smith come to Dogs games? I can't remember seeing a shot of him in the crowd or in the rooms. I've probably just missed him because I don't tend to watch the after game guff.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
I often sit in the medallion club in the same bay as the players and have never seen him. Obviously with his profile it would be a little difficult, so if he is at games it would likely be in a box somewhere, but I don't believe he's been to a game for quite a while.

I think we need to acknowledge that Bailey is a fierce competitor, and playing, training and being involved with footy means A LOT to him, so whilst it's hard to excuse not appearing at club organised events, him not attending games doesn't really phase me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back