Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the likely conditions at MARS on Sunday and the do or die nature of the game I think Bevo should be using this as his motivational tool before the game with the youtube clip. I am old enough to be at the game and think it was Charlie Pagnoccolo's first game.

2 May 1970, Whitten Oval, Footscray, Melbounre, Australia

This was Ted Whitten's last game as a player, Rnd 5 v Hawthorn, 1970. The Dogs held on to win by 3 points. Whitten later said, 'I cried, but you couldn't tell because it was raining'.

Provided we control the rucks and the air like we were doing, we’ve got a real chance.

In that quarter, you let the rucks get on top us a little, particularly from the centre bounce, and around the ground, which we can’t afford to do.

You had them in your hand, and you’ve let em out.

Now we’ve got to get them back in there and close it up.

They played attacking football, we went negative in that quarter.

And you can’t afford to. I want attacking football all the time.

And providing you had a # in that quarter, we had a real chance of winning it in that quarter.

Now we have our backs against the wall we’ve got to fight and fight hard.

It’s going to be a do or die effort. It’s going to be a determined #.

You’ve got to show me all the guts and the determination you’ve got in your body.

You’ve got to inspire me with this last quarter finish.

You’ve been in front all day and you’ve got to stay there.

Are you going to sit there ... or .... [growling player response]

Last edited:
Macrae was very good against Norf and is a strong hard body with tone of experience. He plays for mine.

Daniel is too small, too slow and a complete liability defensively and, at best, could be considered as the sub.

I love Macrae and Daniel but we can't play both of them in my view. Sadly, the game has gone past Caleb and he is no longer close to best 22.
May be the case re: Daniel but there is zero chance he isn't in the best 22 after his North game, whether that is the right call or not.

Macrae was very good against Norf and is a strong hard body with tone of experience. He plays for mine.

Daniel is too small, too slow and a complete liability defensively and, at best, could be considered as the sub.

I love Macrae and Daniel but we can't play both of them in my view. Sadly, the game has gone past Caleb and he is no longer close to best 22.

Caleb belongs in that half fwd role delivering i50 we saw in the second half last week. He should not be in defence imo.

Josh Gabelich saying English won't play according to Corn, he usually has pretty good mail about us.

I find it strange has been a lot of talk about the game late last year, but very little about the game earlier this year which will be similar conditions. I think it's harsh blaming Daniel and Macrae for the Giants coming back and winning the game last year, from memory we had a few key injuries down back? If we want to blame players we also have to recognise that they were part of the team that got us a decent lead in the first place. Speaking of, have we given up a lead this year when we were a few goals ahead at some point? The Hawks game. Maybe the Dockers the first game (I can't remember what our largest lead was)? I don't really feel like that's a trait of ours this year. In fact, I feel like we've won games by big margins this year, so we've kicked on during games rather than blown leads.

Josh Gabelich saying English won't play according to Corn, he usually has pretty good mail about us.

I find it strange has been a lot of talk about the game late last year, but very little about the game earlier this year which will be similar conditions. I think it's harsh blaming Daniel and Macrae for the Giants coming back and winning the game last year, from memory we had a few key injuries down back? If we want to blame players we also have to recognise that they were part of the team that got us a decent lead in the first place. Speaking of, have we given up a lead this year when we were a few goals ahead at some point? The Hawks game. Maybe the Dockers the first game (I can't remember what our largest lead was)? I don't really feel like that's a trait of ours this year. In fact, I feel like we've won games by big margins this year, so we've kicked on during games rather than blown leads.
Not saying it's their fault at all, it's just that Bevo's looked at the ways in which we lost games structurally last year and understands that we need certain athletic/speed/running traits in certain position, hence why we moved Richards to midfield and continue to give Vandermeer, McNeil and Gallagher games this season.

The worst we’ve looked in recent years is when we’ve jammed all our ‘best’ players into the 22 wherever they would fit.
And it's very very important to not read too much into a players form against a insipid North outfit. Even VDM had a positive game with the ball in hand.

Long way out from Sunday game time, but been raining steadily west of Ballarat for about 90mins now. And more to come.

That Mars surface is going to be nice and damp, and slippery, even with good drainage.

I'm also shelving the shorts and polo for my attendance now. My days as a leg model are far behind me, but Miss GJ concerned about me exposing myself to the elements at my vintage!

Time to revert to my everyday wear...

CELEBS20.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still expect one of Macrae or Daniel to be the sub.

Jones has been playing a bit higher in the VFL so perhaps him & McNeil will share a wing/half-forward role.

Who said Arty was the one name from the extended squad you could rule out as definitely NOT being in? 😂

Crazy bev.

He could provide some real spark, especially if he comes on as sub.

Play 5 games out of your skin son & become immortal.

Did not expect Arty to make the cut, likely sub you’d have to think. English passed as fit is huge, means Lobb can stay in defence to help out with Hogan.

Zac Williams also out along with Curnow, Saad & McGovern likely not 100% either with hamstrings but they need to roll the dice

I'm not sure I agree with the Arty call but we'll see. Think its still pretty harsh for Poulter to be on the outer.

Presume this means that Daniel or Macrae will be the sub again

I think it's most likely that they think that Jones is most similar to West to fill that role.

Who said Arty was the one name from the extended squad you could rule out as definitely NOT being in? 😂

Crazy bev.

He could provide some real spark, especially if he comes on as sub.

Play 5 games out of your skin son & become immortal.

We will have McNeil, Vandermeer and Arty in the same team

Miami Vice Deal With It GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back