Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting / Bevo move to give an excitement machine like Arty his first run for the year in a must win round 24 game :D

You'd think he is the logical sub, but that hasn't really been the way the match committee have been operating. Likely have a fwd pressure / crumbing role in mind that Arty is best suited to fill without Rhylee and we will go with Caleb or Macrae as sub again...

I know people are worried about Arty, just thought I’d chime in.

Having watched every VFL game this year, Arty has taken huge steps in the past month to be an AFL level footballer. I’ve been loving what I’ve seen from him lately and am not surprised by the inclusion.

He’s been playing higher up the ground in a wing/half forward role which suits him better.

My main concern with Arty is that he struggles to stick tackles, but everything else has been good and I think he’ll be a handy inclusion against GWS’s speedy smalls.

Way too harsh on Khamis. Yes he's been struggling but last week was his best game for a while. What sort of message does that send to the players? Plus having Arty play his first AFL game in over a year - what's the bet he plays a blinder in strange weather conditions and holds his spot to contribute nothing in a final. Classic Bevo.

Starship Troopers GIF

Given the likely conditions at MARS on Sunday and the do or die nature of the game I think Bevo should be using this as his motivational tool before the game with the youtube clip. I am old enough to be at the game and think it was Charlie Pagnoccolo's first game.

2 May 1970, Whitten Oval, Footscray, Melbounre, Australia

This was Ted Whitten's last game as a player, Rnd 5 v Hawthorn, 1970. The Dogs held on to win by 3 points. Whitten later said, 'I cried, but you couldn't tell because it was raining'.

Provided we control the rucks and the air like we were doing, we’ve got a real chance.

In that quarter, you let the rucks get on top us a little, particularly from the centre bounce, and around the ground, which we can’t afford to do.

You had them in your hand, and you’ve let em out.

Now we’ve got to get them back in there and close it up.

They played attacking football, we went negative in that quarter.

And you can’t afford to. I want attacking football all the time.

And providing you had a # in that quarter, we had a real chance of winning it in that quarter.

Now we have our backs against the wall we’ve got to fight and fight hard.

It’s going to be a do or die effort. It’s going to be a determined #.

You’ve got to show me all the guts and the determination you’ve got in your body.

You’ve got to inspire me with this last quarter finish.

You’ve been in front all day and you’ve got to stay there.

Are you going to sit there ... or .... [growling player response]
Charlie had a great year in 1970.

Way too harsh on Khamis. Yes he's been struggling but last week was his best game for a while. What sort of message does that send to the players? Plus having Arty play his first AFL game in over a year - what's the bet he plays a blinder in strange weather conditions and holds his spot to contribute nothing in a final. Classic Bevo.

Starship Troopers GIF
You seriously want to go into a must win game and finals series with Buku down back giving away 2-3 cheap goals every week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starship Troopers GIF
He's competing with JOD for a spot and a fit JOD is unquestionably a better player with superior foot skills.

Not a slight on Buku. He's played plenty of good footy this year but he's behind JOD in the pecking order.

Why not give a genuine small forward a go.

We are tall enough and have enough rotation through the midfield.

I think it's a good risk.
I like this move. He's an ex-factor that has thrown something into the mix that ws weren't expecting and gives us a boost of speed.

He hasn't been setting the world on fire but what better way to prove your credentials than playing in the most important game of the season, rather than some mid-season game.

Show us what you got Arty!

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Starship Troopers GIF
He wouldn’t have even played last week if English wasn’t out.

English back in means Lobb goes back to defence and you’re choosing between Khamis and JOD which is a pretty easy decision.

With Haynes not selected who is going to take the toss for the plastics?

Bontempelli probably cut James Peatling off in traffic once, so maybe he’ll confront him in the centre circle

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back