Changing of the Guard

Remove this Banner Ad

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yesterday I felt a real sense of a changing of the guard in relation to ownership of the team on field for the first time. With the likes of Grima, Firitto, Pratt and McIntosh not playing, and Boomer and Rawlings not having influential games we needed others to stand up and play well. Sure, Dish and Wells were good yesterday, but the reality is that the majority of our best were from the younger brigade of 24 and under. Swallow, Goldy, Ziebell, Speight, Anthony, Cunnington, Atley, Pedersen, Delaney and Greenwood all had influence on the contest yesterday in a strong performance and really put their stamp and character on the performance.

For the first time I feel that this group of players is fully accepting the responsibility of being the flag bearers of the club and living up to the expectations that come with that responsibility.

Did we witness the birth of a new North Melbourne yesterday?

I know where you're coming from but it was only one game, hopefully it is a trend.
I hear ya Biggie.

Hopefully the younger crew can go on with it now. I don't expect to go on a 6 game winning streak and I believe that we are going to be inconsistent still, but I got a feeling that responsibility for performance might now be moving on from one group to the next. That's where generations of teams start from, much like in the early 90's.

At seasons end give Spitta the captaincy
give GC Spud,Pratt & LT for mini Spitta
the skies the limit double our cup count
by 2020 strip Tassie bare to build Ballarat

agree 100% that Spitta will be and should be our captain one day but........

for what it's worth i think Drewy deserves to be remembered at the end of his career as a North Melbourne football club captain. What he gives every week at every contest, if we had more blokes like him well, who knows where we would be. His effort this year has been enormous. Love the bloke

At seasons end give Spitta the captaincy
give GC Spud,Pratt & LT for mini Spitta
the skies the limit double our cup count
by 2020 sttrip Tassie bare to build Ballarat

I love the poetic depiction of our rise towards the top. The river shall flood with the blood of those we opposes us.

agree 100% that Spitta will be and should be our captain one day but........

for what it's worth i think Drewy deserves to be remembered at the end of his career as a North Melbourne football club captain. What he gives every week at every contest, if we had more blokes like him well, who knows where we would be. His effort this year has been enormous. Love the bloke
Arch was never captain, does it matter that we don't remember him as a NMFC captain?

Definitely. Our reputation for hardness is in good hands.
Players like LT and Hansen have to catch up or get left behind.
Azza looks like he's had the realization.
It was great to watch Petrie dish out some medicine, must make a big impression on the young uns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changing of the Guard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back