Channel 7 Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree, Eddie and Huddo are good. Too many idiots out there who whinge when you have a commentator with an attachment to a club and they find everything that could be remotely bias but i recon he's good.

I find that the CH7 commentators attempts at humor isn't great, especially Bruce. Chatting when the game is being played isn't great, save it for the breaks. I think Bruce is great at remembering heaps of names, I think his talents come from having a great memory and Dennis is a decent caller with plenty of quick wit.

I like Matthews, I recon he has a real simplistic view to the game and how it should be played and that was why he was a great coach. He picks up on the obvious things that are going right and wrong which adds something else to everything. He also sticks to the role of special commentator and is heard briefly and rarely.

Eddie might sometimes jump on the underdog and will them across the line- but he loves his Pies so much he is generally unbiased which is why he is good.
Same with Huddo. geelong or no geelong he is professional and doesnt let his true colours show. very proffessional.
Bruce and Dennis are actually a terrible pairing. Its like having Todd Goldstein and Shane Mumford in the same team. Who is the number 1 and 2?
Leigh has always been quality but even his peers are bringing his level down.

The difference in Nathan Buckley commentating in 2008/09 in Collingwood games compared to Harley now on Geelong games says a lot about the professionalism of them/or not in Harley's case.

Harley is training Kirk into the art of f***witism. Lingy better watch out and should start coaching when hes had enough. Too valuable to do special comments.

I know this thread is about the commentary, but honestly, I'm not really fussed. I'm much more concerned about watching the game live. As long as I can watch what's happening, it doesn't make a great difference what I'm being told. Anyway, I can always turn the volume down and listen to the radio.

Those of you advocating the Channel 10 broadcasts, you must be out of your mind. How many times was I screwed by their refusal to show the countdown clock??? Disgraceful!

At the end of the day, I'm more interested in how my team performs than being adequately entertained. That's my priority, and at the moment, the commentary has no effect on that.

Wow, It never went through my head that Johnson was a brand. I thought he just had a child and was using baby powder on his hands or something.

<facepalm.jpg>

Would love for them to act if it is radio, call the ****ing play or get out of the ****ing job. You don't see any other sport commentators act so unprofessional.

LOL that was almost the worst in a long line of awful commentary moments by Bruce this year. It's a shame how far he has fallen. His call of the 2010 GF (Part I) was magnificent - he called the game, and called it very well. This year he has been absolutely unbearable. In the Hawks/Dogs game last Sunday, every time Cyril went near it was cringeworthy. What makes it worse is that Dennis or another of the team will make reference to Bruce's love for Cyril. JUST STFU. His reference tonight to the saying in Goldfinger was another example of him taking on some of Dennis's worst mannerisms.

Dennis has been awful for years. Easily the most overrated commentator going around. His love for obscure references and "witty" remarks combined with his bland commentary style makes him one of the worst in the business. He has a complete inability to capture excitement with his call (something Bruce actually does well).

The best commentary team of the last decade or so was the circa 2004-7 Channel 10 team. Unfairly hated on just because people didn't like the personalities of Walls and Lane. They called the game professionally and didn't get sidetracked into stupid bullshit like Bruce and Dennis do now.

Even someone like Dwayne Russell is more palatable than Bruce and Dennis at the moment. He isn't great at all, but for the most part he calls the game without too many unnecessary theatrics

Yep this is exactly the sort of stuff that has gotten completely out of hand with them.

What makes it even more infuriating is that they attempt to find a way to explain a pathetic umpiring decision. Even if it's blatantly obvious they, and especially Lethal, go out of their way to cast doubt on that fact and make it seem like the umpire should be given the benefit of the doubt.

BUT WE CAN STILL SEE THE VISION YOU PACK OF TWATS!

F**king pack of Chemical Ali's the lot of them ffs.

The 'footy flashback' games channel 7 have been showing on sunday arvos are like a breath of fresh air commentary wise.

Commentators CALLING THE GAME..... not trying to outdo eachother with obscure, irrelevant stats and/or references.

I think all the rubbish stats collected nowadays has a lot to do with the poor standard of commentary.
It makes commentators fall over themselves to sound smarter to their audience by proclaiming things like "the bombers haven't won in June for 3 years" etc.

Also a personal favourite of mine is Bruce's Alanis-esque misunderstanding of the word IRONIC.
Bruce would butter his toast in the morning and find it ironic. somehow.

I think he sees the word "ironic", the way the rest of the English speaking population see the term "a thing"

"Isn't it ironic how player A now plays for Club B?"

No Bruce. That's a thing.

the commentators are too pc and tom harley has a serious self righteous vibe. would like a team with a harder edge to it. nathan buckley was good and i reckon they could try a chris connolly as a expert. he is excellent on radio as he does not bother with nonsensical banter but just ball movement and match ups and game strategy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walls was a wanker, let us never ask for him back. Also, the Channel 10 '5 Minute Warning' in the last qtr was the worst thing ever.
I don't mind Commetti, or even BT and think Lingy is a decent boundary rider, but Bruce is a pain in the arse. Too much bullshit and too many favourite players he just loves to get off over. Luke Darcy is a tosser as well. I think there really is just too many blokes in the box, all wanting their say and getting themselves out there. They had a 5 man team tonight I think, which is totally pointless. Just need one to call the plays, one 'expert' to give analysis and a bit more insight now and then and one person on the boundary to cover any injuries/substitutions etc.
Also, to whoever was saying League has much better commentators, I'm not so sure. Sterlo I like as he only chimes in when it's necessary, but Phil Gould is the NRL's answer to Robert Walls. Sure he was a coach for a long time, and no doubt knows his stuff but he comes off as such a cock about it all. Ray Warren also gets pretty annoying, as he always seems on the verge of an excited meltdown; although he does keep up with the play well.

Saturday afternoon's team needs to be taken out the back and shot....

Friday night and Sundays........boys your time has come. Bruce used to be one of the greatest, calling the play, revving it up at the right moments and just sticking to what was happening out on the ground. My favourite bit of play ever was called by Bruce, back in 95 with Stewy Maxfield.
He's now a over excited half cocked piece of shit who tries to fit 73 metaphors and rhetorical questions into a bit of play......**** off Bruce, take a bow

Dennis needs to just focus on the play and call the play without trying to sound to fancy....at all.

The Johnson and Johnson baby powder comment was the clincher for me tonight and just showed more and more that Bruce is finished as a commentator. BT, Darcy and Richo are the best commentary team going around at the moment but the best ting to do for Friday night live games now is turn the mute button on the TV commentary and listen to the broadcast on triple M or SEN

Why is it unbarable and bad? What would you like to hear more/less of? Give us some details.

The problem seems to be that they (Bruce and Dennis) attempt to entertain the viewer with their personality and showmanship. What they don't realise is that it's not necessary - the visual images are the entertainment and all that we require from the commentators is a factual account of what is happening with occasional raising of voice during the exciting moments. Refer to the English Premier League Sky coverage as the perfect case example. Unfortunately, there is no alternative and therefore the ratings will never dip to a level where Channel 7 realise that their commentators are suffering from delusions of granduer by thinking their bigger and more important than the game itself.

Gotto be or act like a dumb idiot to stay in the business I'm sure a lot of the panel want to say other things but that would put their job on the line.

Say stupid shit stay dumb don't question and your good to go.

Applies for players panel people footy shows no one says what needs to be said.

Makes me glad that I am deaf so I can just turn my hearing aids off....don't mind watching the game in silence instead of putting up with the rubbish they say.

My opinion is that there are just too many of them in the commentary box. They must have 4 or 5 opinions and "special comments" floating around. They start chatting amongst themselves and wax lyrical about what coulda woulda shoulda happened and not so much what actually IS happening right now.

In the old Drew Morphett / Dennis Cometti / Sandy Roberts / Bruce Mc Evaney days you'd have 2 guys calling the game (NOT discussing it) and an ex player like Richard Osborne or someone on the boundary reporting on the weather and injuries. Simple!

Now the place is packed with former players and coaches trying to impress us with their football genius and Bruce is always trying to grease their axles.

I have found that the current commentary teams patronize the audience with their theories on how the game should be played - as if we don't have opinions of our own.

Tom Harley is a dingbat. Not a clever guy at all. Gerard Whately on ABC is the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back