Chapman vs. Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Those stats speak for themselves...

I think Chappy's amazing year has a lot to do with why Geelong are better than ever.

Chappy > Goddard - any time

I'd probably agree Chapman is better but if I had to pick someone for my team I would still pick Goddard. I think it's just because I feel he is more skilled. Chapman has been a better player though and don't get me wrong he should be in the discussions for best kick in the league but if you put them both in a team like Richmond I think Goddard would do better. A team full of Goddards beats Chapmans in my opinion but for this year, and of their careers Chapman has probably performed better. No one or two of Goddard's stats stand out because he has played so many different roles and positions.

exactly right... chappy gets easy ball and B.J wins his own. Even id be able to win that much cheap ball if i was playin for the cats. B.J is 24 and by the time he's done its gona be embarrassing to mention chapmans name wit B.J's.

Chapmans new name after aker's article - CHEAP CHAPPY

B.J. > chapman

Our board your troll opinions are not wanted so **** ***.

truth hurts

921158-saints-shattered.jpg

exactly right... chappy gets easy ball and B.J wins his own. Even id be able to win that much cheap ball if i was playin for the cats. B.J is 24 and by the time he's done its gona be embarrassing to mention chapmans name wit B.J's.

B.J. > chapman

One of the Bayfags too scared to use his usual name, so the gutless prick creates a new account from his little sister's computer.

Permaban in 5,4,3,2.....

B.J. > chapman

Please be directed to Bay13...

I was simply indicating that Chappy is an effective kicker, if you think he does not win his own ball you obviously have no real knowledge and insight so please don't troll.

B.J. > chapman

Quite an appropriate user name you have there, considering all the negative press your team has managed to attract so far this year. :thumbsu:

Coming from a club that worships Garry Ablett snr the murderer!!!! Just remember buddy theres a young life lost because of that scum bag that u
morons worship.

GLASS HOUSES BUDDY - we all live in them....

Yet again, please be directed to Bay13...

This is a genuine discussion board for Geelong. Don't come in, rev posters up with stupid, trolling comments and then say something like this. Your not wanted here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think playing wise these two guys aren't the most logical to compare against. What I found interesting after reading Mark Robinson's article on Goddard this morning, is how similar their personalities are, both players demand 100% from teammates (they won't shy away from giving them a bake) and are uncompromising in how they approach their football. There is also the similarity of their elder brothers, who seem to have been the biggest influences on their lives, where they both say they play footy to represent their brothers, as well as themselves (Chappy's brother has died obviously and Goddard's is behind bars). I'd say Goddard is more important player for St Kilda than Chappy is to Geelong but that's more of a reflection of Geelongs' team. IMO Chapman is better especially with all the hamstring injuries he has to constantly battle.

I would say Goddard and for one reason only. I think Chappy can be too selfish, time and time again I see him do things like shoot for goal from a snap from the boundary line as he's getting pushed over rather than centring it. He's probably one of my least favorite Geelong players for this reason, and it's got nothing to do with his skill (as I love Ablett, Selwood and Bartell). Right now, Goddard's ability as a swing player is challenged only by Pavlich, and for that reason these would be the first two players I would choose in the AFL if I was making a team.

I would say Goddard and for one reason only. I think Chappy can be too selfish, time and time again I see him do things like shoot for goal from a snap from the boundary line as he's getting pushed over rather than centring it. He's probably one of my least favorite Geelong players for this reason, and it's got nothing to do with his skill (as I love Ablett, Selwood and Bartell). Right now, Goddard's ability as a swing player is challenged only by Pavlich, and for that reason these would be the first two players I would choose in the AFL if I was making a team.

I don't mind Chappy being selfish, if he is? Kind of like Ablett, they both take chances for goal but you would expect them to get them more than not. Lol... but that doesn't stop me yelling at them when then do something risky and miss.

But Goddard's ability as a swing player is amazing. Considering Chappy is not a swing player its kind of hard to compare them both on that though, in fact its a tricky comparison anyway isn't it.

I don't mind Chappy being selfish, if he is? Kind of like Ablett, they both take chances for goal but you would expect them to get them more than not. Lol... but that doesn't stop me yelling at them when then do something risky and miss.

But Goddard's ability as a swing player is amazing. Considering Chappy is not a swing player its kind of hard to compare them both on that though, in fact its a tricky comparison anyway isn't it.

Exactly right about the swing player v non swing player. Silly comparison really. But I think the difference with the Ablett shots on goal and the Chapman shots on goal is that Ablett does what he thinks is the best avenue to goal. Often it is his amazing skill, and him taking that snap is the best option for Geelong. Chapman taking that snap is the best option for Chapman, he's not the same team player as I think Ablett is.

Exactly right about the swing player v non swing player. Silly comparison really. But I think the difference with the Ablett shots on goal and the Chapman shots on goal is that Ablett does what he thinks is the best avenue to goal. Often it is his amazing skill, and him taking that snap is the best option for Geelong. Chapman taking that snap is the best option for Chapman, he's not the same team player as I think Ablett is.

No doubt about it.

You probably watch him more critically then I do, so we will probably never agree. :)

Hilarious. You do realise Chappy is actually leading the league for score involvements this season, don't you? Considering he's not miles ahead in the Coleman medal, that would suggest to me that, if anything, he's too unselfish.

I remember reading a stat after last year's grand final that over the previous three years Chapman had about an 80% accuracy rate when it came to snap shots at goal, which was miles ahead of everyone else in the league. If you're slotting 4 out of every 5 snaps, why wouldn't you have a go?

I'm sure the real reason you don't like Chappy isn't because he's "selfish", but because he said Geelong were better than St.Kilda years ago, and he's since been proven right.

Hilarious. You do realise Chappy is actually leading the league for score involvements this season, don't you? Considering he's not miles ahead in the Coleman medal, that would suggest to me that, if anything, he's too unselfish.

I remember reading a stat after last year's grand final that over the previous three years Chapman had about an 80% accuracy rate when it came to snap shots at goal, which was miles ahead of everyone else in the league. If you're slotting 4 out of every 5 snaps, why wouldn't you have a go?

I'm sure the real reason you don't like Chappy isn't because he's "selfish", but because he said Geelong were better than St.Kilda years ago, and he's since been proven right.

I didn't know he said Geelong were better than St Kilda, but that sure shows the character of arrogance that I think he holds more than most of his team mates.

This point of selfishness was actually pointed out to me by my family, half of whom are passionate, one eyed Geelong supporters. Due to this I watch every cats match and attend most of them, and I've been particular watching this trait in Chapman for years.

this is the first year goddard hasnt got 80% of his possessions playing as a loose man across half back. chappy has done the business for season after season - bit premature for saints flogs to be pumping up goddard to this extent after 3 mths of decent footy. he has to back it up & play to this level for another 2-3 yrs before he has a right to be rated up with chapman.

UOTE=TommyJay;18196111]I didn't know he said Geelong were better than St Kilda, but that sure shows the character of arrogance that I think he holds more than most of his team mates.

This point of selfishness was actually pointed out to me by my family, half of whom are passionate, one eyed Geelong supporters. Due to this I watch every cats match and attend most of them, and I've been particular watching this trait in Chapman for years.[/QUOTE]

Mate I watch Geelong every week and Chapman is no more selfish than any other foward in the competition. He kicks goals which is what he's paid to do and will pass to a player in a 'higher percentage position' when he has to just like most Geelong players. Chapman is not a player that views vanity ahead of team goals and he would be the first player in our team to sacrifice himself for the betterment of our side.

Are you sure you watch all our matches? My family our are all one eyed Geelong supporters too and I try to stay away from them when watching games it can cloud your reasoning.

Chappy is a better player over the course of his career, but I honestly think that it's between him and Goddard for the title of best player of the season so far. Either of them could win the MVP at the end of the season and it would be deserved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chapman vs. Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back