Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there's better options available for both parties - it seems pretty clear he's not in our long term plans and does it actually help Constable long term to just play VFL in the hoops for another season?

Surely he'd also benefit from a change of scenery and a chance to restart his career

Surely there's better options available for both parties - it seems pretty clear he's not in our long term plans and does it actually help Constable long term to just play VFL in the hoops for another season?

Surely he'd also benefit from a change of scenery and a chance to restart his career
Is he any better than Darcy Lang? He left but is now at Geelong VFL. Maybe CC is just not quite up to consistent AFL level, and as a Cats rookie, we can wait and see. What is there to lose?

Is he any better than Darcy Lang? He left but is now at Geelong VFL. Maybe CC is just not quite up to consistent AFL level, and as a Cats rookie, we can wait and see. What is there to lose?
Then why not just sign him as a VFL player and use the vacant rookie spot on a new to the club player

Then why not just sign him as a VFL player and use the vacant rookie spot on a new to the club player
If not selected by any team at all, we can do that. It does limit his future in the AFL somewhat. Is he or is he not AFL level? This is the question. Rookie selection allows a bit more of a chance.

I honestly think that the only reason we'd re rookie him is that we're afraid of fan backlash. When we traded for Ceglar it was noted we were afraid of optics

If you're right that "fan backlash" drives a decision whether or not we should retain a player, then they club is in real trouble.

Frankly, "fan backlash" (if it even exists) would play zero influence on player retention decisions by the club.

If you're right that "fan backlash" drives a decision whether or not we should retain a player, then they club is in real trouble.

Frankly, "fan backlash" (if it even exists) would play zero influence on player retention decisions by the club.
Yeah in a perfect world I'd agree, but I think they think that we are indeed in trouble and given it's a rookie spot what's the harm?

Could not see any other logic driving a decision to rookie him

Yeah in a perfect world I'd agree, but I think they think that we are indeed in trouble and given it's a rookie spot what's the harm?

Could not see any other logic driving a decision to rookie him

The harm is we have to carry a bloke on our list of 44 players that the club has clearly decided is not up to the level, rather than draft/rookie someone that potentially will be up to the level.

I really doubt it's fan-driven and more that we know he's solid depth, but I'd really prefer we just let him go. I think he can grow into more than depth if you can get him up to the fitness standards required, but that's clearly not happening at Geelong at this stage. Maybe it would happen elsewhere.

But the club felt Jack Steven and Josh Jenkins would be up to the level :D

You can certainly query how they went once they got down to the club. But it's not that difficult to understand why the club thought they might still be 'up to the level'.

Steven was a four-time B&F winner at his previous club. And had polled double figures in the Brownlow in four of his past five seasons before joining the Cats.

Jenkins was a 100-game player who had kicked 40+ goals in five of his six previous seasons before coming to Geelong.

By contrast, Constable looks quite likely to finish his AFL career on 12 senior games.

So I think the question of which players might have been more appropriately termed 'up to the level' over the course of their careers is actually self-evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back