Cheersquads waving flags when opponent kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe this is one of the most useless rituals that's done at the footy. When will they realise it doesn't put the player off their shot at goal. In some cases it could even give them a target to aim at. I used to find the best distraction tactic used to be to do something erratic that can be seen just out of the corner of the eye.
Anybody else have a favourite distraction tactic

I yell a bit at the footy and I know the player cant here me. It's for my benefit. I don't wave the flags in the cheer squad but if someone wants to pay to do so than good for them, They don't hurt anyone and while it makes no difference to the player it helps the fans enjoyment. That's all that matters.

As for your belief that your superior distraction technique. The only one that would catch a corner of a players eye would be for you to run naked across the ground in the forward pocket while they were kicking for goal. I'm going to assume you've done this.

I get it out
penalty_main_1535601a.jpg

Are you this guy by any chance :p?

You sure?

I'm sure many non-WCE players would be targeting fat daniel all the time.

Same when playing Richmond and looking to nail that bloke in the grog squad.
Target Daniel? i hear Worsefold drops you if you somehow manage to miss the fatty

Yet another cheersquad thread started by newcs.
Talk about obsession :rolleyes:

Fair go there JubJub, that dummy spit about Geelong Cheer Squad's brownie point system was eight years ago. I believe they no longer have that brownie point system as the bad apples that started that idea got encouraged to leave. Maybe I should give them another go.

Apparently one of the Unis in the States did some research (using real basketballers taking free throws) - and the best 'distractor' they found was large blocks of black and white shifting around. So issue people with cards (black one side, white one side), arrange them so that they form large single blocks of one color and then have them flip over into another large-block pattern. This would affect the eyes focus and perception.

But it has to be co-ordinated. If people are just doing random actions, it all becomes formless noise, and is easy to block out. People waving arms, streamers, shouting incoherently - that's not going to work.

Similar to an earlier post who talked about everyone swaying in unison.

Booing when the opposition player is lining up is far more pointless.

Also to the lady sitting behind me, your incessant high pitched cries of "MIIIIIIISSSS IIIIIIIT" don't have any effect whatsoever on opposition players but it sure as shit makes my eardrums bleed.

Well that is her mistake "Chewy on your boot" is much more off putting for a player having a shot for goal.

Watch this clip - if you listen closely you can hear someone yell - "chewy on your boot".

I believe this is one of the most useless rituals that's done at the footy. When will they realise it doesn't put the player off their shot at goal. In some cases it could even give them a target to aim at. I used to find the best distraction tactic used to be to do something erratic that can be seen just out of the corner of the eye.

Have you seen the number of behinds that are kicked? Seems to be working just fine if you ask me.

Have you seen the number of behinds that are kicked? Seems to be working just fine if you ask me.

It's impossible to gauge what works and what comes down to skill execution. Golfers and Tenis players have no distraction but shank shots all the time. The only way to test would be to play in empty stadiums and see if there is a specific difference to games with crowds. Maybe we can review GWS & GC home games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's impossible to gauge what works and what comes down to skill execution. Golfers and Tenis players have no distraction but shank shots all the time.
Some scientific show did the silent/noise thing with GOlf and Tennis
Golf players got worse with noise.
Tenns players got better.

I think a couple of cheersquads could have a person suitable for that type of thing and I admit it 'would' put the players off.

The key to is to be unpredictable not just the same thing all the time.
I can remember years ago, I think it was a Hawthorn player, he did a cart wheel on the mark while a player was shooting for goal.

"Chewy on ya boot"

What about the South supporter who threw an apple at the ball when Doug Wade was shooting for goal at Kardinia Park in 1970?

Apple makes the hit, kick goes astray, South win the game by a narrow margin, and make the finals at the Cats' expense.

You don't get much better than that in terms of a distraction tactic!

You sure?

I'm sure many non-WCE players would be targeting fat daniel all the time.

Same when playing Richmond and looking to nail that bloke in the grog squad.
Yeah, but now sneaky fat Daniel is sitting behind the point post and causing absolute chaos.

But seriously, it's all about getting involved in the game, you cry "BALL" not because it will make the ump blow his whistle, but because it feels good to be involved in the game.

Geezz don't they get paid by the AFL to 'blow a fuse'.

I am half kidding but isn't all the fan stuff just an ultimate part of the scene?

If the guys are half serious then the other stuff is moot. I don't want someone in the team who is influenced by the shuffling of the flags and blowing the load...

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheersquads waving flags when opponent kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back