Cheersquads waving flags when opponent kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe this is one of the most useless rituals that's done at the footy. When will they realise it doesn't put the player off their shot at goal. In some cases it could even give them a target to aim at. I used to find the best distraction tactic used to be to do something erratic that can be seen just out of the corner of the eye.
Anybody else have a favourite distraction tactic

Cheer squads mostly consist of feeble-minded overgrown children who don't have much going on in their lives and like to feel involved with their football club. When they "fly the flag" as it were, they feel as though they're contributing an important one-percenter towards a possible victory.

I say we should let the poor muppets do their thing and have their fun. They aren't harming anybody. It makes them happy. It adds colour to the game. It makes normal people feel better about themselves and glad they're not a flag-waving, hand-clapping douche.

Apparently one of the Unis in the States did some research (using real basketballers taking free throws) - and the best 'distractor' they found was large blocks of black and white shifting around. So issue people with cards (black one side, white one side), arrange them so that they form large single blocks of one color and then have them flip over into another large-block pattern. This would affect the eyes focus and perception.

But it has to be co-ordinated. If people are just doing random actions, it all becomes formless noise, and is easy to block out. People waving arms, streamers, shouting incoherently - that's not going to work.

Similar to an earlier post who talked about everyone swaying in unison.

This might work.....

I believe this is one of the most useless rituals that's done at the footy. When will they realise it doesn't put the player off their shot at goal. In some cases it could even give them a target to aim at. I used to find the best distraction tactic used to be to do something erratic that can be seen just out of the corner of the eye.
Anybody else have a favourite distraction tactic

Not a fan tactic but our fullback used to expose his meat and two veg just as the opposition player was just about to kick.
Used to work fairly well for the first time he did it to different teams

There is a Rugby club in Britain that when a player is lining up for a conversion the entire stadium goes absolutely quiet, you could here a mouse fart. The only problem is I can't remember if it was when their player or opposition player was taking the kick :oops: Either way it is eerie. I will put it up if I can find it on youtube

tony-parker-distraction-ex-wife-f98bb58b-sz610x756-animate.jpg

Got to agree with the OP, it's so cringeworthy watching fat dole bludgers wave those huge pom poms around.

AFL cheersquads are pathetic and so lame when compared to fan displays and chanting overseas in football and euroleague basketball. The sooner they are eradicated, the better.

There is a Rugby club in Britain that when a player is lining up for a conversion the entire stadium goes absolutely quiet, you could here a mouse fart. The only problem is I can't remember if it was when their player or opposition player was taking the kick :oops: Either way it is eerie. I will put it up if I can find it on youtube
Munster Rugby club from Ireland.

29 minutes in.

Listen to how quiet they go...

Sounds like they do it out of respect though rather than putting the kicker off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheersquads waving flags when opponent kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back