Moved Thread Chris Masten- 200 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Congrats to Chris Masten on reaching 200 games this weekend. Initially maligned and compared unfavourably to Chris Judd and Rhys Palmer, he has dealt with adversity and become one of the best players in his draft year and win a flag. Arguably the best gut runner in the game, he becomes the 21st player to reach the milestone for West Coast.

Career highlights
  • AFL Premiership Player:2018
  • AFL Rising Star nominee 2009
  • 200 Games
  • Biting Nick Suban
  • 43 Disposals against GWS once

Last edited:
Still feel he's somewhat overrated, but he played his part last year, so that's a more than big enough pass mark for me. From what I recall he should be thanking Tom Swift; was fairly well loathed until Tom came along and took all his heat.

That may all sound negative but I still rather like the dude. Here's to another 100!

Not really sure what to say about this. Masten is comfortably one of my least favourite Eagles players ever. Good on him I guess? Only 20 players have cracked the double ton for WC, he's a head of David Hart, Monkey Brennan, Phil Matera, Chris Waterman, Brett Heady etc. in that regard. Excellent runner and fairly durable but otherwise not particularly remarkable at anything. Manages to be technically very good by foot but also a horrible decision maker who turns the ball over. Maybe someone can put together a montage of him being tackled.

Not really sure what to say about this. Masten is comfortably one of my least favourite Eagles players ever. Good on him I guess? Only 20 players have cracked the double ton for WC, he's a head of David Hart, Monkey Brennan, Phil Matera, Chris Waterman, Brett Heady etc. in that regard. Excellent runner and fairly durable but otherwise not particularly remarkable at anything. Manages to be technically very good by foot but also a horrible decision maker who turns the ball over. Maybe someone can put together a montage of him being tackled.
Phil Matera should only be used as a barometer in the same way Shane Harvey and Brett Voss are.

Depends what you mean by the best. Wouldn’t be in the top 15-20 players, so no, he’s not really up there.

Ok then, name the 20 ahead of him from the 07 draft.

You will be surprised once you go through the names and see just how bad that year was.

Masten is no star by any stretch, but getting 200 games out of him when the majority were god awful by default made it a good pick.

Phil Matera should only be used as a barometer in the same way Shane Harvey and Brett Voss are.

Bit of a disservice to Phil, he was decent in own right and well above Brett Voss and Shane Harvey.

Nearly 400 career goals, an AA jumper and 5 times lead the Eagles goal kicking. That’s not an average career

Ok then, name the 20 ahead of him from the 07 draft.

You will be surprised once you go through the names and see just how bad that year was.

Masten is no star by any stretch, but getting 200 games out of him when the majority were god awful by default made it a good pick.

You're the one stating he's one of the best, so really the onus should be on you, but I'll produce 15 better players.

1. Kreuzer
2. Cotchin
3. Henderson
4. McEvoy
5. Dangerfield
6. Rioli
7. Tarrant
8. Taylor
9. Rance
10. Ward
11. Thompson
12. Steven
13. Wood
14. Hooker
15. Walker

Whatever the parameters for 'the best are' (Top 5, Top 10, Top 15 etc) he's definitely nowhere near it. Handy player, and good outcome getting 200 games out of himself, but he's by no means achieved what was expected of him at the time.

No sure where this perception this is an average AFL draft is coming from either. It's mid-range overall, but had some incredible top-end talent taken in the first round, hence why the Masten selection is more disappointing.

Last edited:
Im happy he got his 200 and a flag and would like to see him finish his career as a mentor in the reserves - if nothing else hes meticulous in his preparation and fitness and id like to see him pass some of those ideals on.

He might make it in the top 20 of the 2007 draft but only because it was a desert.

Was one of those players that needed one of either more strength or pace - if he had one of those hed have been an a grader.

You're the one stating he's one of the best, so really the onus should be on you, but I'll produce 15 better players.

1. Kreuzer
2. Cotchin
3. Henderson
4. McEvoy
5. Dangerfield
6. Rioli
7. Tarrant
8. Taylor
9. Rance
10. Ward
11. Thompson
12. Steven
13. Wood
14. Hooker
15. Walker

Whatever the parameters for 'the best are' (Top 5, Top 10, Top 15 etc) he's definitely nowhere near it. Handy player, and good outcome getting 200 games out of himself, but he's by no means achieved what was expected of him at the time.

No sure where this perception this is an AFL draft is coming from either. It's mid-range overall, but had some incredible top-end talent taken in the first round, hence why the Masten selection is more disappointing.

That is also subjective, eg I think Henderson is over rated. He’s getting hyped for his work in the Geelong side, but he was never anything special when he was at the Lions and Carlton.

On the draft itself, this was the top 20

Kreuzer*
Cotchin*
Masten*
Cale Morton
Jarrad Grant
Myers*
Palmer
Henderson*
McEvoy*
Dangerfield*
Veszpremi
Rioli
Ebert*
Grimes
Tarrant*
Lobbe*
Taylor*
Rance*
Ward*
Notte

The ones with stars are still in the league. There were a lot of misses in that first round, and even then of those still going around there are some that are solid but not spectacular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is also subjective, eg I think Henderson is over rated. He’s getting hyped for his work in the Geelong side, but he was never anything special when he was at the Lions and Carlton.

On the draft itself, this was the top 20

Kreuzer*
Cotchin*
Masten*
Cale Morton
Jarrad Grant
Myers*
Palmer
Henderson*
McEvoy*
Dangerfield*
Veszpremi
Rioli
Ebert*
Grimes
Tarrant*
Lobbe*
Taylor*
Rance*
Ward*
Notte

The ones with stars are still in the league. There were a lot of misses in that first round, and even then of those still going around there are some that are solid but not spectacular.

Of course there will be plenty of misses, we’re talking about a draft from over a decade ago. There’s far more exposure to underraged football and larger recruiting networks these days, and rarely do you see average midfielders taken with early selections.

The fact there are so many gun players in the league taken in the first round of this draft is testament to how strong the early part of the draft was.

Last edited:
Of course there will be plenty of misses, we’re talking about a draft from over a decade ago. There’s far more exposure to underraged football and larger recruiting networks these days, and rarely do you see average midfielders taken with early selections.

The fact there are so many gun players in the league taken in the first round of this draft is testament to how strong the early part of the draft was.

Gun is subjective, genuine guns from that draft:
Cotchin
Dangerfield
Rioli
Rance

Star players:
Taylor
Ward

Players who played a role for their team:
Masten
Henderson
Tarrant
McEvoy
Ebert
Kreuzer

Then the rest

I would argue Kreuzer never lived up to his hype, albeit injuries did hold him back

Plenty of players in the game have never had the chance to bite Nick Suban, so he's got a lot to be thankful for.

Hundreds have had the chance, he was just the only one to actually take it. The fact that it's his career highlight say it all.

I remember a scouting write-up in his draft year saying something like 'a vanilla midfielder but probably the safest bet of the top 10 to play 200 games'. Turned out pretty accurate.

Gun is subjective, genuine guns from that draft:
Cotchin
Dangerfield
Rioli
Rance

Star players:
Taylor
Ward

Players who played a role for their team:
Masten
Henderson
Tarrant
McEvoy
Ebert
Kreuzer

Then the rest

I would argue Kreuzer never lived up to his hype, albeit injuries did hold him back

HoneyBadger35 please confirm Rance is categorised appropriately

Does anyone remember any hype about Dangerfield from that draft? I was under the impression that aside from Cotchin, the only players on the radar for the pick were Masto/Palmer/Morton

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Chris Masten- 200 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back