Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Wait, is this Bigfooty??

I've never seen a group of people, normally so hard to please, so easily pleased.

He's barely been serviceable. His game currently consists of mainly cheap touches, free kicks (because he goes to ground so damn easily) and "pressure acts" that are really just that - an act. Most defenders, specifically last week against Geelong, have just walked around his tackles.

He stays in the team due to lack of better options. Reid is miles ahead. Not exactly like for like but he should come out for Reid. No one else is closer in type. And Cox stays. Cox's influence on the opposition defence is far and away the biggest asset our forward line has when we have to hit the hot spot.

Wait, is this Bigfooty??

I've never seen a group of people, normally so hard to please, so easily pleased.

He's barely been serviceable. His game currently consists of mainly cheap touches, free kicks (because he goes to ground so damn easily) and "pressure acts" that are really just that - an act. Most defenders, specifically last week against Geelong, have just walked around his tackles.

He stays in the team due to lack of better options. Reid is miles ahead. Not exactly like for like but he should come out for Reid. No one else is closer in type. And Cox stays. Cox's influence on the opposition defence is far and away the biggest asset our forward line has when we have to hit the hot spot.

I agree! It looks like he understands the game plan and plays to the structure.

In that sense he has become a decent depth player. Glass half full for me!

Wait, is this Bigfooty??

He’s playing wing. Haven’t you noticed?

Always thought he could resurrect his career. Look at Liam Jones, he was just playing out his final contract, earned a recall and finished 9th in Carlton's best and fairest playing half a season. Soon we'll be calling him Chris "Copeland" Mayne.

I know this is fonzies positive thread.....but did anyone else notice how times his teammates ignored him when he was on his own?
Pendlebury didn’t as I recall.

More that Reid is not anywhere near like for like. In that Reid couldn’t play wing. So someone else needs to if Mayne is dropped. Who do you Reckon?
Reid wouldn't play wing. But any of Varcoe, Stephenson or Hoskin-Elliot could play/rotate through wing. Even De Goey could go into the midfield. De Goey should go into the midfield.

There's plenty of things we could do. Point is, Mayne ain't gonna be there when we're playing finals footy next, so why is he here now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he plays I support him.

I don’t get the nastiness directed at him?

He’s not elite, he’s not a star, he seems a yard slower, he doesn’t kick as far as he used to.

But he’s going ok as a near medium level player at the moment.

He’ll make way as better ones come in, but he’s been serviceable.

Also seems like a decent enough bloke, good attitude.

Wish him well.

Reid wouldn't play wing. But any of Varcoe, Stephenson or Hoskin-Elliot could play/rotate through wing. Even De Goey could go into the midfield. De Goey should go into the midfield.

There's plenty of things we could do. Point is, Mayne ain't gonna be there when we're playing finals footy next, so why is he here now?

Sure, it we might be playing finals this year. I still hold out hope. He’s a depth player - like Blair. He’s there because he gives us the best chance of winning a particular game. And he shows effort and leadership and experience. I’m not a big fan. But at the moment, given our injuries, he’s contributing more than a few others. So I’m happy for him to stay in. Maybe I’d give Sier a run instead, but I’m not unhappy at the moment about selection. I’m more unhappy about the injuries we are constantly struck by.

He’s not elite, he’s not a star, he seems a yard slower, he doesn’t kick as far as he used to.

Wish him well.

This.

Wait, is this Bigfooty??

He's barely been serviceable.

I reckon you underestimate the effort he's put in and the resilience it's taken for him to become barely serviceable in his new role. His other attributes may be below par, but he's uber elite in his approach to footy and I reckon that deserves praise and admiration.

I reckon you underestimate the effort he's put in and the resilience it's taken for him to become barely serviceable in his new role. His other attributes may be below par, but he's uber elite in his approach to footy and I reckon that deserves praise and admiration.
A lot of truth there.

Imagine coming to work everyday and the social media bags you non stop ongoing.
That’s Mayne’s lot.
Hopefully he doesn’t want or need to read social media.

Wish him well.
Nastiness?

He's just not a very good player. No nastiness just stating facts.

I don't get the overwhelming praise for someone doing a below average job.

I don’t get the nastiness directed at him?..

Wish him well.
Yep.

Most supporters just love the sizzle, blokes who can look good with ball in hand.

Mayne ain’t that, he is a limited player who busts his gut to try and help the mighty magpies win.

Much prefer a Bloke who will give his all over a ‘talented’ player who doesn’t work hard.

Yep.

Most supporters just love the sizzle, blokes who can look good with ball in hand.

Mayne ain’t that, he is a limited player who busts his gut to try and help the mighty magpies win.

Much prefer a Bloke who will give his all over a ‘talented’ player who doesn’t work hard.
I prefer the player that can play a role to help Collingwood win or who can develop into a role to help us win. Mayne is neither.

I prefer the player that can play a role to help Collingwood win or who can develop into a role to help us win. Mayne is neither.

There is a lot of trash on this team. Guys like Adams, Josh Thomas, for his flair.. Hoskin Elliot does some dumb ass stuff, Varcoe?

I saw Mayne throw himself at the ball on Saturday night. He was under a few tackles where he got crunched. The guy might not be a great player, but he goes in hard, unlike some of these other clowns that just run around doing sweet f all. If he keeps playing like that, I don't care if he gets 10 disposals a game.

I kind of hope he improves and and prove some people wrong about himself. I feel bad for him with the bad publicity he gets. He didn't trick Collingwood into the contract. If a footy club offered you 500k a year for 4 years, would you take it? or would you refuse and say "i'll only take 50k because I'm not a good enough player for the 500k". Blame the recruiters for the contract, not the man.

I’m still trying to figure out why he’s in the team and what his role is.

His goal kicking is terrible, he isn’t quick, he fumbles.

He isn’t playing in the forward line, he isn’t in the midfield. He just is sort of floating around between the centre circle and 50m paint.

He isn’t really a wingman giving an option to an exit kick from defensive 50. He isn’t tagging in the midfield or on a dangerous half back flanker, which is something I thought he could maybe do.

He is getting some possessions but I wouldn’t describe them as damaging or creative.

Can anyone see what his role is or what he’s meant to be doing? Is he a wingman? Maybe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back