Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, not so fast champ!

First we need Cookie Monster to conduct another “health check”.

In all seriousness though, I used to be sooo invested in the Cats. Forked out for premium memberships for a decade plus, upgraded seats at away games, watched every min of every footy show. Hardcore. I ended up ditching the membership post 2017. This is actually the first time in goodness knows that I’m actually even posting on here, even logged in to be honest. Anyways, I can honestly say Chris Scott is the single biggest reason (but not only) for extinguishing the flame that once burned for the Cats. His brand of footy is s**t to watch, has been for years, he treats supporters in a condescending manner with his “its too hard to explain to the lay supporter” nonsense. Quite frankly, I find him an arrogant, condescending smartest guy in the room prick. But that is my subjective opinion.

What isn’t subjective is his finals record. In the end, I found that life can actually be much happier when your less engaged. I suspect some will head down this path shortly in a similar manner. For others, I understand the passion is too hard to break. My point is, footy can actually seem a lot more important than it really is. Don’t waste too much emotion on something that agitates you more than gives you enjoyment. If you are at that point, it’s not healthy. There are plenty of hobbies people could enjoy that they never discover because they waste time on other things. Don’t let footy control your emotions. Find other outlets to give you satisfaction.

What the Chris Scott era has given me is a wonderful appreciation for what the Bomber T era delivered. He is a man of many flaws Bomber, but what he had in abundance was passion. And it reflected in his team and the way they played. I firmly believe teams play in their coaches image, and we have today what we have today. Anyways, the Bomber era was also a different time in the sport, pre free agency, expansion, ultra PC craziness etc. I liked that time, but things change, and what was once ain’t returning, so I’ve mostly moved on... and life is great, even after a game like tonight.

I think I’m at this point as well. Unfortunately last night I just reached the point where I got no enjoyment out of the game. I found myself getting angry and emotional and it just isn’t worth it any more. The worst part was that we stayed just close enough to keep our hopes up, only to have Collingwood crush them again and again. I will watch next week’s game with no expectations and no hope, therefore I shan’t be disappointed.

My cousins are die hard Carlton fans and in some ways I envy them because they reached the point where they find comedy in their side’s shitness long ago.

I don’t want to renew my membership next year but I will as my dad and partner are keen to. Dollars down the drain.

Yup, it's the same every year we'll bang our heads against the wall. I haven't been a Scott fan since 2014 and I knew he was no longer the man to lead us to our next flag. Unfortunately can't do anything about it and it seems we aren't learning from our mistakes so we can expect the same thing every year and things won't change.

I look forward to topping up with players and having another "crack" next year for us to fall in a heap once again. (all the way up until at least 2022.)

Last edited:

Not having a shot at anybody as everyone's entitled to their view, but am genuinely surprised that six people voted to keep Scott on next year.

Eight years of the same garbage come September surely suggests it's time for a change, and if that's not enough the decision to pull Stanley out last night alone is enough to give him his marching orders, stupefying doesn't begin to describe it.

Of course if we win the next three games I'll deny ever having written this.

Geelong played 90% of the game with defensive little stab passes on the back half. Why? The players either aren't allowed to take any sort of risk OR are scared to take a risk.

Why? The coach is why. Everyone noticed those little 5 min spurts in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters where they took the game on and actually went forward quickly - we scored practically all of our goals from those little 5 min spurts.

Scotty needs to step down, it is just embrassasing.

Collingwood work rate and spread and manning up the mark did not allow our players to move it on most of the night.
At times we were in dead parts of the ground where its hard to attack from.

I hear you with the ball movement.
We kicked 2 in aroll with quick ball movement.

V Brissy we kicked a few in a row with fast ball movement.

I think I’m at this point as well. Unfortunately last night I just reached the point where I got no enjoyment out of the game. I found myself getting angry and emotional and it just isn’t worth it any more. The worst part was that we stayed just close enough to keep our hopes up, only to have Collingwood crush them again and again. I will watch next week’s game with no expectations and no hope, therefore I shan’t be disappointed.

My cousins are die hard Carlton fans and in some ways I envy them because they reached the point where they find comedy in their side’s s**tness long ago.

I don’t want to renew my membership next year but I will as my dad and partner are keen to. Dollars down the drain.

At least you're still getting angry and emotional; I've settled into a state of resigned numbness ... also, this team's style of play is so dull that I constantly caught myself checking to see how long was left in the match throughout the season; usually this was around 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter ..

Not having a shot at anybody as everyone's entitled to their view, but am genuinely surprised that six people voted to keep Scott on next year.

Eight years of the same garbage come September surely suggests it's time for a change, and if that's not enough the decision to pull Stanley out last night alone is enough to give him his marching orders, stupefying doesn't begin to describe it.

Of course if we win the next three games I'll deny ever having written this.

3 of them are hawk trolls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are locked into mediocrity.
That is the Geelong way and will continue to be so till we make substantial changes.

My heart will be with Geelong till then and I will start following the Bulldogs after 60 years of supporting Geelong.
Until there are changes I have lost a great deal of interest.

We managed to turn Dahlhaus, who was a key part of one of the most gutsiest finals series and eventual premiership in recent times, into a finals choker and under-performer as well. System + coaching has to be in the gun, there's no way it's just coincidence that even the newer players fail to perform in our system under intense pressure.

This style has failed in one final. Previous styles have failed in other finals. An important distinction: the 2019 brand is vastly different to the 2018 one yet we still have a problem.
Nah it's not that different to 2018. He has just taken slow ball movement to a greater extreme this year and banned kicking the ball through the centre.

I don’t post on here very much, but I need to rant. I haven’t missed watching a Cats game at KP or on TV since I became a member in 2003, and will always be a passionate supporter, but I really couldn’t care less if I watched the West Coast game next week or not.

2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. Count them all. Seven seasons worth of Chris Scott finals: all of them follow the same sad and sorry narrative. Seven seasons. It should not matter in the slightest that we have made finals nearly every year, as reason to keep Scott. Seven seasons worth of finals series evidence should now be enough for the Club to make a meaningful call.

Even when we were flying earlier this year, I had zero hope of us doing anything substantial come finals time, based on our recent finals history, and the regular patterns of ugliness (losses after byes, team of champions not a champion team getting the job done, and sloths in finals that wake up in the last 10 minutes). I lost all hope once we lost to Port after the bye. I knew things, again, would not be different this year. As long as Scott is coach, I have zero hope of us winning a premiership, let alone winning a finals game.

I know the stats have been trotted out, but I’ll say them again: in our 3 finals wins between 2012-2019, we won by 16 points against Port (after trailing by 23 points at half time) in 2013, 2 points against Hawthorn in 2016 (lucky), and by 59 points against Sydney in 2017 (the anomaly).

I love Joel Selwood and what he’s done as a player for us. His games have been inspirational and he’s been a joy to watch. But to hear him in the media, as our captain, regularly say before finals series, that the boys need to just ‘put their balls on the line’, irks me. It’s another symptom of having no proper answers (the same dumb message), no change in tactic, hoping for the best, and not learning. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Hello! Someone in power somewhere at the Club!?

Assistant coaches: O’Bree at the club since 2013, Knights since 2012, Lappin since 2009, Rahilly since 2008. When is that situation going to get a change up? How stale.

Hope would again be installed straight away for me if Cook and Carter, to borrow Joel’s favourite inane line, put their balls on the line, and sacked Scott. I wouldn’t even care if it meant going ‘down the rebuild with kids’ path and bottoming out for a couple of years. I just feel sorry for Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Taylor, Hawkins, Enright, Bartel that the later parts of their careers have been wasted. Players that will go down in our history as all time greats, having missed golden opportunities because of a poor coach.

Why is the Club continuing to be content with just making the finals and doing nothing (aka getting embarrassed badly) once we're there? As I kept saying to myself last night (yes, I've been driven mad): what is the point? What is the point of having an amazing coaching record, if you keep making it to the finals (nearly seven years in a row) and having nothing to show? Time. To. Go.

He isn't going to be sacked - it's not the Geelong way. But it might be time he needs some different voices surrounding him, so it may be time to clear out the football department.

Besides Scott here is a list of how long some staff have been at the club.

Shane O'Bree - 7 years, in a variety of roles.
James Rahilly - 9 years
Matthew Knights - 7 years
Nigel Lappin - 11 years
Matthew Scarlett - 5 years
Corey Enright - 3 years
Simon Lloyd - 4 years

The club love to promote from within, in all departments and I think this has become an issue. Too insular, too comfortable, afraid of change.

I called for changes last year and it didn't happen, maybe a straight sets exit this year might force them do something, because there is an argument to be made that an element of staleness has settled in.

He isn't going to be sacked - it's not the Geelong way. But it might be time he needs some different voices surrounding him, so it may be time to clear out the football department.

Besides Scott here is a list of how long some staff have been at the club.

Shane O'Bree - 7 years, in a variety of roles.
James Rahilly - 9 years
Matthew Knights - 7 years
Nigel Lappin - 11 years
Matthew Scarlett - 5 years
Corey Enright - 3 years
Simon Lloyd - 4 years

The club love to promote from within, in all departments and I think this has become an issue. Too insular, too comfortable, afraid of change.

I called for changes last year and it didn't happen, maybe a straight sets exit this year might force them do something, because there is an argument to be made that an element of staleness has settled in.

Knights has to go.
Look at the structure and setup the pies used ALLLLLL night around the stoppage.
Consistent, creative, familiar.
Look at the Cats.... all over the place, inconsistent, unaccountable and unable to rectify deficiencies.

Knights has to go.
Look at the structure and setup the pies used ALLLLLL night around the stoppage.
Consistent, creative, familiar.
Look at the Cats.... all over the place, inconsistent, unaccountable and unable to rectify deficiencies.

We both saw it last night. But it's not just him that needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back