Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like you have heavily invested into this thread over the last week or so. Power to you.
Despite what some Richmond supporters think, I actually agree with you in that Richmond cannot afford to pony up the draft picks worthy of a player rated so highly in afl stat rankings.
SOS needs to hold his ground and make Yarran see out his contract at the blues.
Condescending tone aside, you are correct, sos does need to stand his ground here

Apologies for that, but repeatedly typing 'clinging onto the one ranking system that says what you want to hear' gets dull.

So *ALL* ranking systems are obsolete/useless except for the one that just happens to say what you want? How curious and convenient that must be for you. :rolleyes:

Instead of arguing with me, go find a better ranking system and we will use that

Pick 15 to 18, one could live with and would clinch the deal anything less is nonsense.
Yarran has a choice either he settles down and has another go of it at CFC or he walks into the draft.
We'll not be compromised, obviously it's his call, CFC assest is protected by contracted and there's the stumbling point.
Let's see if other parties are interested and throw their hat in the ring, should warm up a little then.
There is no need for the CFC to be precipitus, its Yarran's call.

So it's 15-18 now?

You're coming closer to reality, was it hard to accept that our 1st pick was never going to happen?

Call us when you work your way up to the 20s ( or in BlueGibbs2011 's terms, become a 'sensible Carlton fan' ).

Supercoach is actually addressed in the explanation of the rating system, you should read it.

Tom Bell has been outstanding the past 2 seasons, his high rating supports this.

One day hopefully you will embrace these types of data analytics as this is where the game is heading
Lol, apparently Bell is a better player then Goodes, Motlop, Greene (GWS), Hibberd, Stef Martin, etc, etc. Bell is a handy player, but he's more of a fringe player. I know he finished 4th in your B&F, but Carlton has a weak piss list. Even we smashed you by 10 goals and came second last on the ladder.

Instead of arguing with me, go find a better ranking system and we will use that

So I tell you not to obsess about one ranking system, and your solution is for me to go out and find a single ranking system to obsess over?

You seem to have missed the point.

Look at all, blend them together and then THINK FOR YOURSELF.

No one ranking system is the be all and end all.

Stupid back and forth by both supporters.

Yarran is worth in the range of 18-25 because he is a best 22 player despite dumb people citing VFL. But he wants to leave so it gets pushed back to a range 20-30. 20 would be fine from Carlton's point of view; 30 much less attractive but great for Richmond (even better for them if 30+).

Richmond want to pay a second rounder and get player cheaper than value. I understand that.

With sensible Carlton fans wanting 20 and Richmond fans wanting to give a 2nd rounder because that's all they have in the range; the posts degenerate into bigging up/down[playing players ability. These latter posters are the dumbest off all. It hurts reading their posts.

With future trading on the table, Richmond should be able to meet a value around 20 for Yarran if they want to:
1) Be professional and fair
2) Not want to be smacked back in a future draft.

There are ways now for Richmond to get their player without 'getting one over on a club'. Not worth bending a club over that might come back at you in 1-2 years time when you are on a flag threshold. The dumbest of tiger supporters will shout this down...but they aren't in control of their list - thank god.
I think your point about not wanting payback to bite us down the line is completely relevant and fair. If we look back at the Grigg/Collins trade, at the time it seemed pretty fair, all parties happy. It is a pity it only worked out for one club.

Then we get to the Hampson trade, where most, not all, most Tiges supporters were unhappy with as we thought it was overs. And has proven to be so.

Richmond have been pretty easy to deal with the last few years on a club to club basis. Most are happy to trade with us. The reason we have copped a hard time is our offer to the PLAYER has been insufficient (hello Adam, yes, I'm talking to you)

There is only a couple of clubs that have a reputation of being difficult to deal with, most notably Essendon. As long as SOS is as fair and reasonable as most clubs, I am sure it will all be worked out.

And yes, a higher 2nd round pick I agree would be ideal, somewhere around 20-22

I think your point about not wanting payback to bite us down the line is completely relevant and fair. If we look back at the Grigg/Collins trade, at the time it seemed pretty fair, all parties happy. It is a pity it only worked out for one club.

Then we get to the Hampson trade, where most, not all, most Tiges supporters were unhappy with as we thought it was overs. And has proven to be so.

Richmond have been pretty easy to deal with the last few years on a club to club basis. Most are happy to trade with us. The reason we have copped a hard time is our offer to the PLAYER has been insufficient (hello Adam, yes, I'm talking to you)

There is only a couple of clubs that have a reputation of being difficult to deal with, most notably Essendon. As long as SOS is as fair and reasonable as most clubs, I am sure it will all be worked out.

And yes, a higher 2nd round pick I agree would be ideal, somewhere around 20-22

Not sure everybody was happy with the Grigg trade. He walked and had us over a barrel. Tigers offered up a choice of fringe players, we chose the best of the bunch in our view at the time. Think we were far from happy about it all.

With the Hampson trade, my impression was Tigers just offered up the pick, very little haggling involved.

Not sure everybody was happy with the Grigg trade. He walked and had us over a barrel. Tigers offered up a choice of fringe players, we chose the best of the bunch in our view at the time. Think we were far from happy about it all.

With the Hampson trade, my impression was Tigers just offered up the pick, very little haggling involved.
As I said with the Hampson trade, it was the fans feeling ripped, you are correct, it was a simple trade.
In regards to Grigg, most of us were shattered at the time to lose Collins, who had shown a bit, and courage, to what we considered a marshmallow in Grigg. Grigg has proven us wrong.

As they say, you win some, you lose some. Fans on here have gone a bit nuts, but the clubs on a trade level seem to get alomg OK. Be interesting to see how much SOS (and Trigg) changes that dynamic.

So 2 deals, both unbalanced, one each way. Seems about as close as you're going to get to 'fair'.

So it's 15-18 now?

You're coming closer to reality, was it hard to accept that our 1st pick was never going to happen?

Call us when you work your way up to the 20s ( or in BlueGibbs2011 's terms, become a 'sensible Carlton fan' ).

I've never stated he is be worth a top ten pick, but in a weakfish draft year my stance has always been mid to low 1sr rounder or player of comparable value.
There will be no compromise on that, a 2nd rounder on its own is just rubbish and hysterical devaluing by the media and annoying opposition supports, it alone will not clich the deal.
Let's see how it pans out shall we, Silvani will not flinch at the last minute.
Yarran's options are stay put and cope or walk into the draft.
Ciao

Ciao
Yarran can't walk into the draft. Carlton hold the whip hand. I hope you're right and SOS doesn't let him go for anything less than a first rounder.

I've never stated he is be worth a top ten pick, but in a weakfish draft year my stance has always been mid to low 1sr rounder or player of comparable value.
There will be no compromise on that, a 2nd rounder on its own is just rubbish and hysterical devaluing by the media and annoying opposition supports, it alone will not clich the deal.
Ciao

Who said anything about a top 10 pick?

You'll either get 30+ steak knives or if we manage to score a better second rounder and you'll get that.

He can't walk into the draft, he's contracted. Carlton's choices are trade him for what most people say he's worth, or have a player with a bad attitude who has already shown that that effects his performance significantly stinking it up for Preston and influencing your kids in ways that would set your rebuild back even further. Good luck with that.

As for Silvani not flinching...Firstly, I'm sure he has a better idea of fair value than you seem to, but also..Where is the evidence of that steadfastness? Didn't he bend over last year and let the Boyd trade go through after GWS said it wouldn't happen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said anything about a top 10 pick?

You'll either get 30+ steak knives or if we manage to score a better second rounder and you'll get that.

He can't walk into the draft, he's contracted. Carlton's choices are trade him for what most people say he's worth, or have a player with a bad attitude who has already shown that that effects his performance significantly stinking it up for Preston and influencing your kids in ways that would set your rebuild back even further. Good luck with that.

As for Silvani not flinching...Firstly, I'm sure he has a better idea of fair value than you seem to, but also..Where is the evidence of that steadfastness? Didn't he bend over last year and let the Boyd trade go through after GWS said it wouldn't happen?
Think SOS did pretty well out of that. Pick 6 and griff for Boyd. And the dogs pay a lot of his Griffins wage. By saying they won't trade Boyd bumped up the asking price on bloke that had 3-4 excellent prospects playing the same position as him. It was a win win trade for everyone.

Think SOS did pretty well out of that. Pick 6 and griff for Boyd. And the dogs pay a lot of his Griffins wage. By saying they won't trade Boyd bumped up the asking price on bloke that had 3-4 excellent prospects playing the same position as him. It was a win win trade for everyone.

Yeah, but not what he/they were saying was going to happen...i.e HE FLINCHED

He did, Dogs were bent over on that trade and it has hopefully started an entertaining rivalry between two young talented teams.

However, SOS had unique circumstances there where Griff wanted out and was going to walk if the club didn't trade him to GWS. It was a bad thing to do as captain of a club. Dogs supporters would be filthy over it I imagine.

Yaz is contracted, like Boyd, however he is definitely leaving Carlton, like Griffin. SOS doesn't have the same power in this trade, and Yaz isn't worth near what either Griff or Boyd is/were.

I don't know why SOS is so highly rated, he hasn't done anything yet. I get that he was list manager of GWS but the amount of picks and concessions they had I feel like anyone could have built a decent team.

Silvani will not let Yarran go for pick 30, dream on If the CFC is not adequately compensated, there'll be a stalemate and Yarran will face a choice play for the Northen Blues in 2016 or walk away if his so disheartened and be in breach of contract.
Irrespective of our ramblings in this forum , I'm certain a deal has been struck to everyone's satisfaction and it won't be simply pick 30. All parties are fairly satisfied as the waters seem to be quite calm.
Ciao

Silvani will not let Yarran go for pick 30, dream on If the CFC is not adequately compensated, there'll be a stalemate and Yarran will face a choice play for the Northen Blues in 2016 or walk away if his so disheartened and be in breach of contract.
Irrespective of our ramblings in this forum , I'm certain a deal has been struck to everyone's satisfaction and it won't be simply pick 30. All parties are fairly satisfied as the waters seem to be quite calm.
Ciao

If we get him for 30, the Richmond list management team would be doing cartwheels. It's the reverse of Carlton getting him for our first rounder (actually, 30 would be *somewhat* more likely).

Low 20's seems about right, so it'd either be Richmond finding a suitable pick from other trades, or failing that 30 + some sweeteners (likely a player at the edge of our 22).

Edited to add....

Carlton just recruited our VFL coach, who presumably has a very good idea about our fringe players and their abilities/potential. Including such players in the trade could work out quite well for Carlton.

Last edited:
I don't know why SOS is so highly rated, he hasn't done anything yet.

I don't know about highly rated, but to say he hasn't done anything isn't very fair. He built a pretty good list at GWS from scratch. Yes, he had picks, but how the hell would you build a list from scratch without that many picks? What he did do, was build a nicely balanced list across the field in a short time, with some depth to it as well, considering those who have left the club. This is an area Carlton have long been deficient in with our recruiting managers, in that they struggled to build a list, rather than just recruit players. Now we've got holes in more than one area of the ground.

Ciao

Most likely No 7 Matt Dea and 2nd or 3rd round depending on Clarke . Most likely Dea and 3rd round .

He did, Dogs were bent over on that trade and it has hopefully started an entertaining rivalry between two young talented teams.

However, SOS had unique circumstances there where Griff wanted out and was going to walk if the club didn't trade him to GWS. It was a bad thing to do as captain of a club. Dogs supporters would be filthy over it I imagine.

Yaz is contracted, like Boyd, however he is definitely leaving Carlton, like Griffin. SOS doesn't have the same power in this trade, and Yaz isn't worth near what either Griff or Boyd is/were.

I don't know why SOS is so highly rated, he hasn't done anything yet. I get that he was list manager of GWS but the amount of picks and concessions they had I feel like anyone could have built a decent team.
Don't know either, but he is highly rated amoungst his peers and the industry is what I hear.

Ciao
I hope so, clubs need to stand firm on contracts

24yo VFL player and a 3rd rounder sounds fair. Where do Carlton sign before the offer is withdrawn? Where does Dea sign before he's delisted?

haha, I reckon you would have to throw something in to get the deal across the line :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back