Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

I have obviously watched all 3 finals failures and you are correct re: mental weakness for the Carlton loss but in 2014 we were just shit on by a much better team and this year we were again beaten by a better more experienced side that had topped up via trades.

Now should be our turn to improve the list via trades and FA and hopefully overtake the Norths in our way.

Again no offense. But IMO the Tiges were better than North this year but didn't turn up on the day. And no way were Port that much better than the Tiges last year. Just seems in big finals games there is a problem at Tigerland.

Personally don't think recruiting a flake like Yarran will help one bit. But if you do I don't see why P12 and P30ish for Yaz and P20 is unreasonable. Tipping the Tiges would prefer this option to losing Lennon.

Personally don't think recruiting a flake like Yarran will help one bit. But if you do I don't see why P12 and P30ish for Yaz and P20 is unreasonable. Tipping the Tiges would prefer this option to losing Lennon.
Agree that we shouldn't be going after Yarran. But they seem to be keen for some reason. We know they are also keen on Bennell, and would think pick 12 would be the minimum starting offer for him. Doubtful they would pony up pick 12 for Yarran, regardless of the upgrade of later picks, to jeopardise potentially doing a deal with Gold Coast if Harley chooses Richmond.

Agree that we shouldn't be going after Yarran. But they seem to be keen for some reason. We know they are also keen on Bennell, and would think pick 12 would be the minimum starting offer for him. Doubtful they would pony up pick 12 for Yarran, regardless of the upgrade of later picks, to jeopardise potentially doing a deal with Gold Coast if Harley chooses Richmond.

Agree Bennell would be more of a priority but then he is fragile as welll (in a different 'Connors' sort of way).

I'm sure you could offer up next years first rd for Harley. GC have no bargaining power really as they've sacked him (unlike Carlton who have a contracted Yaz)

Alternatively you can argue that it is proven Yarran has a poor attitude and is a limited cream on top type player - super talented as he is.

Lennon has shown more than enough to know he will play decent AFL at a minimum. He has the talent to be a star.

So you are looking in risk terms at a player known to be flaky but talented, versus a guy with an unknown level of AFL talent, but no knocks on attitude. I'd argue that most list managers would go Lennon on that basis. But it is a personal view. We'll see in a week or two.
One bad year when his closest mates have been moved on and his mrs left him to go to sydney = proven bad attitude?

Please stop acting as if the man is a bad egg, he feels like his world is falling apart and as a result his footy has suffered, let him find a new partner and some new friends and he will suddenly be fine again its not rocket science.

Just a thought, who holds more bargaining power, a club who has sacked a player or a club who's player has walked out on them?

Serious question
As a club you are probably keen to simply move the first option player on as you would probably delist them anyway, the power always goes with the contract because the player doesnt have that walk out option

Again no offense. But IMO the Tiges were better than North this year but didn't turn up on the day. And no way were Port that much better than the Tiges last year. Just seems in big finals games there is a problem at Tigerland.

The afl rankings actually shows pretty clearly why Richmond loses in finals. They overrate their list vs actual output.

This is roughly how players lined up off the top of my head with their rating along side.

Grimes 360, Rance 30, Hunt 377
Brown 289, Waite 129, Harvey 10

Ellis 196, Chaplin 162, Houli 180
Higgins 106, Pietrie 124, Zeibell 127

Martin 49, Grigg 194, Vlaustin 204
Jacobs 349, Swallow 82, Bastinac 190

Delidio 24, Griffiths 379, Newman 307
Gibson 251, Firrito 167, Atley 201

Edwards 43, reiwoldt 47, Macintosh 438
Wright 288, Thompson 208, Hansen 322

Maric 55, Cotchin 73, Miles 115
Goldstein 4, Dal Santo 32, Cunnington 54

Look where the game was won in the end, midfield dominance and boomer Harvey

Last edited:
Just a thought, who holds more bargaining power, a club who has sacked a player or a club who's player has walked out on them?

Serious question

Can Yaz afford to not play next year? nah. So Carlton have more power in a trade as they can keep the contracted Yaz

Do GC want Bennell back? Nah they've sacked him. Only option is pay him to do nothing or trade him for what they can get. So whoever deals with GC has the power.

But frankly neither scenario is good.

Contract Law rules.

Yarran can not walk..can only deregister himself for a year as worst case scenario.

The afl rankings actually shows pretty clearly why Richmond loses in finals. They overrate their list vs actual output.

This is roughly how players lined up off the top of my head with their rating along side.

Edwards 43, Grigg 194, Vlaustin 204

Batchelor 400, reiwoldt 47, Macintosh 438

I prefer my eyes and the end of season ladder to rate teams. Also can't see the Tiges best mid on your list (Martin).

AFL rankings are also over rated IMO. ;)

Do GC want Bennell back? Nah they've sacked him. Only option is pay him to do nothing or trade him for what they can get. So whoever deals with GC has the power.

But frankly neither scenario is good.

Contract Law rules.

Yarran can not walk..can only deregister himself for a year as worst case scenario.

Contract Law rules.

I get all that but in this day & age who really holds the power? IMO it's the player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The afl rankings actually shows pretty clearly why Richmond looses in finals. They overrate their list vs actual output.

That's where Richmond looses finals is it? U seriously have no idea

(2)th.jpg

Go re-read your post
You've misinterpreted that post as being about their original draft position. It wasn't about that. It was about where the afl ranking system puts players, as opposed to what their perceived value is to the majority of footy fans.

You've conflated two seperate things there mate

While you're at it, can you explain how we beat freo, Sydney, and hawks this year?

Just for argument sake, can some Richmond fans make a list of their players that they think are the equivalent value of Yarran
My personal opinion only, others will probably disagree, but he's a player with great talent, high draft pick, but attitude/effort problems detract from his value and has been dropped from a team on the bottom of the ladder for form.

Jack Watts fits that bill well. But without the negative attitude. Also hasn't walked out on the club mid contact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back