Draft Expert Chris25's Young Talent Time 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
''...I see him as a slow, unfit clearance winner with little versatility...and how much development is still to come?"

"...He isn't particularly quick, and although his kicking is solid, sometimes he can get under the ball a bit and not lower his eyes. Not sold on his versatility either, particularly going forward. He has shown some good signs linking up on the outside, but not sure he is quite using his size to it's full potential outside of the stoppages...''

''...a true big bodied inside midfielder - very strong at the stoppages, his clearance work is right up there with the best and he moves through traffic really quite well. Which is all great, but I feel as though he lacks a bit of hurt factor...''

- Chris25 on Patrick Cripps, Young Talent Time 2013​

Sure, Cripps has won x2 Brownlow Medal's. He's a 4 time All Australian. And that's all great. But I wasn't necessarily wrong either...

Anyway, I'm back for a new year. I've been picking and choosing which games to watch more this year, haven't seen as much as previous seasons but I'm still across the draft enough for BigFooty standards. So far I've just been keeping myself to the Fremantle board but figured I may as well branch out eventually. So here it is, my top 50...

1. Levi Ashcroft (179cm mid, Brisbane)
2. Finn O'Sullivan (182cm mid, Vic Country)
3. Harvey Langford (191cm mid, Vic Country)
4. Xavier Lindsay (183cm mid, Vic Country)
5. Alix Tauru (193cm def, Vic Country)
6. Jagga Smith (182cm mid, Vic Metro)
7. Murphy Reid (181cm mid, Vic Metro)
8. Sid Draper (182cm mid, South Australia)
9. Joe Berry (181cm fwd, Vic Country)
10. Sam Lalor (188cm mid, Vic Country)

11. Leonardo Lombard (179cm mid, Gold Coast)
12. Josh Smillie (195cm mid, Vic Metro)
13. Tobie Travaglia (187cm def, Vic Country)
14. Harry Armstrong (195cm fwd, Vic Metro)
15. Hamish Davis (190cm fwd, Western Australia)
16. Harrison Oliver (181cm def, Vic Metro)
17. Luke Trainor (194cm def, Vic Metro)
18. Bo Allan (191cm def/mid, Western Australia)
19. Isaac Kako (176cm fwd, Vic Metro)
20. Taj Hotton (182cm mid/fwd, Vic Metro)

21. Jobe Shanahan (195cm fwd, Allies)
22. Angus Clarke (189cm def, South Australia)
23. Cooper Hynes (190cm fwd, Vic Country)
24. Tom Gross (181cm mid, Vic Metro)
25. Jesse Dattoli (179cm mid/fwd, Vic Metro)
26. Sam Marshall (185cm mid, Brisbane)
27. James Barrat (194cm def, Vic Country)
28. Christian Moraes (183cm mid, Vic Metro)
29. Jack Whitlock (200cm fwd, Vic Country)
30. Oliver Hannaford (180cm fwd, Vic Country)

31. Alex Dodson (201cm ruck, South Australia)
32. Noah Mraz (198cm def, Vic Country)
33. Jonty Faull (195cm fwd, Vic Country)
34. Kayle Gerreyn (199cm ruck/fwd, Western Australia)
35. Luke Urquhart (188cm mid, Western Australia)
36. Lachie Jacques (184cm def, Vic Country)
37. Matt Whitlock (198cm fwd/def, Vic Country)
38. Archer Day-Wicks (186cm, mid/fwd, Vic Country)
39. Ben Camporeale (186cm mid, South Australia)
40. Jaxon Artemis (187cm def/mid, Western Australia)

41. Lucas Camporeale (184cm mid, South Australia)
42. Ned Bowman (187cm fwd, South Australia)
43. Tom Sims (199cm fwd, Vic Country)
44. Logan Smith (204cm ruck, Allies)
45. Charlie Nicholls (197cm fwd, South Australia)
46. Hugh Boxshall (187cm mid, Western Australia)
47. Jasper Alger (183cm mid/fwd, Vic Country)
48. Zak Johnson (185cm mid, Vic Metro)
49. Rhys Unwin (178cm fwd, Vic Country)
50. Tyler Welsh (191cm fwd, South Australia)

Overall, I do think it's a good draft. But as I've been saying on the Fremantle board, it is very even and I think it's best look at in terms of groupings. So someone might ask why Lombard or Smillie is so low, but realistically they could be right up the top just depending on how I feel on a particular day. But I do think it's so even because there aren't any truly elite prospects, just lots of really good ones and fairly similar ones at that - nobody has really separated from the pack. It's why someone like Tauru has shot up the draft order, the others have left it wide open and he just offers something different.

Personally, I have Ashcroft and O'Sullivan as the two best prospects. But then the next 12 (from Langford to Armstrong) are all about even for me. It's no surprise to me that clubs are keen to get into the mid first round, it looks like the first sweet spot in terms of value. I'd certainly be looking to trade back, just not sure finding someone wanting to go the other way will be so easy.

Then the second sweet spot I'd be targeting is the mid second round - particularly if I was after a KPP, I suspect a bunch will come off the board there. One of the benefits of it being a midfield heavy draft is that the second round will be flushed with talls, and some will likely prove bargains in the future - Shanahan, Barrat and Gerreyn would be the ones I'd target in that range.

I do think however that the draft is light on for midfielders outside of the top 10. Some will develop from other roles, but half backs and half forwards are the order of business come the second round and onwards. There's also a bunch of small forwards that I like who didn't end up making my list.

Overall, I do think it's a good draft. But as I've been saying on the Fremantle board, it is very even and I think it's best look at in terms of groupings. So someone might ask why Lombard or Smillie is so low, but realistically they could be right up the top just depending on how I feel on a particular day. But I do think it's so even because there aren't any truly elite prospects, just lots of really good ones and fairly similar ones at that - nobody has really separated from the pack. It's why someone like Tauru has shot up the draft order, the others have left it wide open and he just offers something different.

Personally, I have Ashcroft and O'Sullivan as the two best prospects. But then the next 12 (from Langford to Armstrong) are all about even for me. It's no surprise to me that clubs are keen to get into the mid first round, it looks like the first sweet spot in terms of value. I'd certainly be looking to trade back, just not sure finding someone wanting to go the other way will be so easy.

Then the second sweet spot I'd be targeting is the mid second round - particularly if I was after a KPP, I suspect a bunch will come off the board there. One of the benefits of it being a midfield heavy draft is that the second round will be flushed with talls, and some will likely prove bargains in the future - Shanahan, Barrat and Gerreyn would be the ones I'd target in that range.

I do think however that the draft is light on for midfielders outside of the top 10. Some will develop from other roles, but half backs and half forwards are the order of business come the second round and onwards. There's also a bunch of small forwards that I like who didn't end up making my list.

My personal favourite is Reid, there is a world where Reid could go anywhere from maybe 3-12.
If you're in need of a big bodied inside midfielder Smillie might be your guy.
Outside speed Draper is your guy.
Solid winger then maybe Lindsay is your guy.
Small forward Berry/Hannaford/Kako/

I completely agree with that ~20-40 range where KPP players become interesting.
Whitlocks, Sims, Shanahan, Faull, Gerreyn, (Maybe Trainor/Tauru)....

This is the most interesting draft I've seen for a very long time and every time I head down the rankings path, I can make arguments for a number of changes. If you're reading Chris's list and cannot believe Player X is 5-10 spots higher than Player Y, that could be just a matter of him looking at the draft with a Fremantle lense.

On the Carlton Board, I made a top 30 players with a Carlton lense and Smillie was massively down the list, a slowish inside midfielder is not what I feel we need. Maybe the Saints with their outside speed need an extractor and pick 7/8 is great for them.

I'm a big Harvey Langford fan so like seeing you rate him at pick 3.
It sounds like even the professional recruiters have wildly different opinions about most of the kids this year, even many of the top picks.

Man everytime I see Tauru rocket up the boards it hurts.

Hawks board were so happy earlier in the year as there were rumours he was part of our NGA but apparently not.

He's coming home with a bullet. Massive vertical.

On the Carlton Board, I made a top 30 players with a Carlton lense and Smillie was massively down the list, a slowish inside midfielder is not what I feel we need. Maybe the Saints with their outside speed need an extractor and pick 7/8 is great for them.

Carlton does love a slow inside mid though.

Smillie is one I've had all over the place. I think I've settled on having him at the end of that top group. I probably wouldn't draft him, but I also can't not appreciate how high the potential there is for a 195cm mid who's strong on the inside.

I'm a big Harvey Langford fan so like seeing you rate him at pick 3.

No doubt some will view his testing as a big negative, but it was nothing unexpected and his performances have been as good as anyone. He's the most well rounded of that large group for me with his size, kicking, forward ability.

Man everytime I see Tauru rocket up the boards it hurts.

The positive of keeping my draft thread for later in the season is that I can just start with the late bolters high and it looks like I've always had them there.

My biggest weakness as a draft watcher over the years is that I get wedded to certain opinions on players. I'll stick to those who perform as underage players and am bullish on those who rise late. But Tauru's last month or so has been as good as anyone and he absolutely has a point of difference in this draft, something the top 15 or so is really lacking. It's hard to not be impressed. And a big positive is that he's performed in key roles, he's not just an athletically gifted utility.

The only consistent with the phantoms drafts is Levi Ashcroft, otherwise the same top 15 names come up but their ranking varies hugely. Then you have the players from 20 to 45 who could go anywhere in that group they are that even. Then you have another 20-30 players who could get picked that dont make the phantoms, its a remarkably deep and even draft year. The smarter clubs have worked their lists to have plenty of picks in this draft and they will be rewarded 10 fold for their smart management.

Richmond are luckiest the club in the world to have so many players wanting out this year, when the draft is so ridiculously good. I dont believe that was their intention, but it should mean that Toce` can set that club up for a quick rebuild ala the Hawks.

Richmond are luckiest the club in the world to have so many players wanting out this year, when the draft is so ridiculously good. I dont believe that was their intention, but it should mean that Toce` can set that club up for a quick rebuild ala the Hawks.

Richmond will certainly be the most interesting thing to watch. I'm slightly more confident since they've got a new recruiter after years of poor drafting, although that may be more an indictment on their development...

But anyway, the key for me will be bringing in a variety of players - and I'd advocate for straying from a purely best available strategy to do that. Go early on someone like Joe Berry. Take the ball winning mid you rate #1 and then balance that with a Travaglia or Lindsay. Don't just end up with a bunch of the same like Langford, Lalor, Smillie and Allan for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Chris25's Young Talent Time 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back