Draft Expert Chris25's Young Talent Time 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't posted it anywhere yet - I'm still tinkering with it. There's a fair bit of late mail flying around re guys like Tauru, Simms, Goss etc. I'll pop it in here just for fun though.

View attachment 2150032View attachment 2150033View attachment 2150034View attachment 2150035View attachment 2150036
Great effort to get to 54 picks, very hard after the top 10.
Thinking about needs in the Top 10;
#8 Richmond, Smillie (Blair has coached him in u14s/15s) ahead if Langford
# 9 or 11 StKilda will take Tauru (wont take 2 mids)
#7 or 12 Melb will take Armstrong (wont take 2 mids)

Lalor is the one that I can see going one or two, especially if a team has multiple picks in the draft, like Richmond does.
His injuries are a concern, but he could be the next Patracca, and the one who will you might have to spend your life answering why you didn't draft him when you could have.

We are truly in the golden age of the AFL. Every year we’ve gotten a new Petracca, Martin and Fyfe. Teams have never been so talented!

I think there’s no doubt that Lalor goes earlier than I have him, probably in those first two or three picks - and to be fair, I have him in the mix at 3 because I think he’s in that group after Ashcroft and O’Sullivan.

Is he a can’t miss prospect? I don’t think so. Injury history, needs to build his tank, how does his style of game go against men. Personally I prefer someone like Langford. Maybe not the same highs, but a more rounded game that doesn’t rely on just one attribute like power.

But I don’t think a team can go wrong just sticking to their board early in this draft. Well, maybe Richmond could find a way.

I'm trying to figure out what Fremantle do this draft.

I have a feeling the club will have a fairly narrow group of prospects at our first pick and will simply tick off on who is at the top of the shopping list.

For me that includes Travaglia, Berry, Lindsay and Allen. One or more should be there, but others could be

At our next pick, if we haven't grabbed Berry we could look for another forward -midfielder. Hannaford, Davis, Hynes.

But in terms of future proofing at some stage a Pearce replacement needs to be targeted, and Ollie Murphy may have the height but lacks the pace. If we took Whitlock the development timeframe could work well. Tasmania could even be a factor for Pearce.

Is there a universe where we opt for the most upside in areas of future need and take Davis and Whitlock? Provides weapons both forward/midfield and back.

I think we stick to our board, assuming at least one of the guys we have in our top 15 will be available. Just go best available and focus on the needs after.

But my thinking would be similar, a preferably outside mid and some sort of small/medium forward with the first two picks.

I don’t think we go KPD this year - largely because there just won’t be enough spots at Peel. Ideally there won’t be the same amount of injuries and we can actually develop our young guys properly and see what we have before potentially hitting the draft again next year.

I like Davies more than most on the Fremantle board, and also think Murphy ticks a lot of boxes. And I’d be afraid to say it on the Fremantle board, but I’d love Draper to spend the entire season at Peel. If he actually learns how to defend, he could easily be the #1 guy. I’m all for him dominating the WAFL, rather than force him into the AFL side as a bit part player.

That Pick 17 was originally Berry, but I flipped to Dattoli, then Hannaford.

I’m still of the opinion that Hannaford is more flavour of the month than genuine first rounder.

But your draft does highlight that top group as ending pretty much right on Fremantle’s pick. I think in this instance, they’d have to just take Berry as the one left from that grouping. But it does open up after we pick.

I’m still of the opinion that Hannaford is more flavour of the month than genuine first rounder.

But your draft does highlight that top group as ending pretty much right on Fremantle’s pick. I think in this instance, they’d have to just take Berry as the one left from that grouping. But it does open up after we pick.
I like kids who aren't afraid to do the hard stuff. I tend to overrate them. Did the same with Hewett.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Clancy Dennis?

He’s probably my #51. He got knocked off the list just before posting.

James Barrat is the KPD I particularly like. But Dennis feels like a reasonably safe prospect to me and certainly one I’d target in maybe the third round. A few of the other talls may have a higher scope, particularly when forward play gets factored in. But Dennis seems like a good value pick.

He’s probably my #51. He got knocked off the list just before posting.

James Barrat is the KPD I particularly like. But Dennis feels like a reasonably safe prospect to me and certainly one I’d target in maybe the third round. A few of the other talls may have a higher scope, particularly when forward play gets factored in. But Dennis seems like a good value pick.
Just to add to this Dennis is up to 195cm and has an enormous tank for a KPD and is a neat kick. Can’t see him getting past the 50s with one club in that range in particular very keen on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Chris25's Young Talent Time 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back