Trade Requested Jack Darling - “Make me a Roo!”

Remove this Banner Ad

the idea of West Coast needing to do a salary dump is insane.

If anything they would probably try to swing this the other way and cover some salary to get a better pick to bring in a young plyer

yeah we get that, but why would any other team want a forward who's slow to begin with, has the turning circle of the queen mary and doesn't compete overhead with anyone as a dedicated front line forward?

He's always been soft, he's a lead up chest mark, kick straight type forward, that doesn't play in the modern game....you could pay ALL of his salary to get him off your books or you could pay him the deal your crew offered him and have him deal out all of his "forward craft/knowledge" to your young forwards in the two's.

yeah we get that, but why would any other team want a forward who's slow to begin with, has the turning circle of the queen mary and doesn't compete overhead with anyone as a dedicated front line forward?

He's always been soft, he's a lead up chest mark, kick straight type forward, that doesn't play in the modern game....you could pay ALL of his salary to get him off your books or you could pay him the deal your crew offered him and have him deal out all of his "forward craft/knowledge" to your young forwards in the two's.
I don't think you have seen much of darling play .

Sure he leads straight and kicks straight but he is also very strong in 1 on 1s and chases and tackles in the forward 50 very well .

This trade is either we get almost nothing for him and North take his salary

Or we pay his salary and we get a useful pick .

Paying his salary and getting nothing is a stupid idea . We could just play him in the wafl and be a mentor is that was the case

I love that Darling's ability to hunt and tackle hasn't dipped with the rest of his game. He continues to show heart. You don't need to be a world beater as a second forward, and I still think he can contribute to a club in contention.

If North Melbourne is the club, it does make sense though. Archer Reid and Jack Williams deserve opportunities next season at the Eagles and Darling has given a lot to the club, and ironically by leaving while in contract, he'll give them more.

Darling to North Melbourne improves the forwards training group, and provides more options for structure next year.

I love that Darling's ability to hunt and tackle hasn't dipped with the rest of his game. He continues to show heart. You don't need to be a world beater as a second forward, and I still think he can contribute to a club in contention.

If North Melbourne is the club, it does make sense though. Archer Reid and Jack Williams deserve opportunities next season at the Eagles and Darling has given a lot to the club, and ironically by leaving while in contract, he'll give them more.

Darling to North Melbourne improves the forwards training group, and provides more options for structure next year.
Don't think this is darling doing us a favour.

He is getting an extra year , all but guaranteed game time and it sounds like its leading into a coaching gig .

He is a very smart forward and has helped our young forwards immensely.

That's why I would be happy to keep him , get him to 300 games and have him as a mentor playing wafl even on 800k a year

Don't think this is darling doing us a favour.

He is getting an extra year , all but guaranteed game time and it sounds like its leading into a coaching gig .

He is a very smart forward and has helped our young forwards immensely.

That's why I would be happy to keep him , get him to 300 games and have him as a mentor playing wafl even on 800k a year
Wasn’t implying he was going out of his way to do your club a favour, more so that the ending results would make sense. With Allen and Waterman in their prime plus the developing Williams and Reid in need of senior game time, Darling has probably done all he’s needed to at West Coast. While in rebuild mode, you’d rather invest games into up and comers than the declining Darling.

At North Melbourne he can do what he’s done the last two years at West Coast because they haven’t drafted any young tall forwards yet and should begin ASAP. While he’s a boost for training and mentoring youngsters, he’ll be able to play every week to help out Larkey.

Wasn’t implying he was going out of his way to do your club a favour, more so that the ending results would make sense. With Allen and Waterman in their prime plus the developing Williams and Reid in need of senior game time, Darling has probably done all he’s needed to at West Coast. While in rebuild mode, you’d rather invest games into up and comers than the declining Darling.

At North Melbourne he can do what he’s done the last two years at West Coast because they haven’t drafted any young tall forwards yet and should begin ASAP. While he’s a boost for training and mentoring youngsters, he’ll be able to play every week to help out Larkey.
Darling has been told he will be stepping aside to play the younger guys.

That is why he has looked elsewhere. He is very competitive and playing in the 2s isn't what he wants to do .

If North want to pay his salary he can go for a throw away pick like when Sam Mitchell came to us after 2016 season .

If they want us to pay salary that will cost them in picks of some sort .

This is not a salary dump as we will struggle to hit the 95% salary floor next season .

That is why he has looked elsewhere. He is very competitive and playing in the 2s isn't what he wants to do .

If North want to pay his salary he can go for a throw away pick like when Sam Mitchell came to us after 2016 season .

This is not a salary dump as we will struggle to hit the 95% salary floor next season .
I don't have any inside intell, but I wouldn't be keen for us to pay 800K in 2025 for the impact it would have on the wages structure; much prefer to add something to it, and then pay over 2 years, averaging say 500k and then triggers for a 3rd. There has to be something in it for Darling to move a young family.

Has Darling looked elsewhere? I got the impression that North wanted him.

Future fourth would be my bet.
Not massive stakes
Yeah it won't be much. Ideally from our side we would do something like Darling + 59 for 40 as we'll be chasing a pick in that area of the draft but that will depend on what North has planned for that pick themselves.

Yeah it won't be much. Ideally from our side we would do something like Darling + 59 for 40 as we'll be chasing a pick in that area of the draft but that will depend on what North has planned for that pick themselves.
Maybe a future 3rd ? If we pay some salary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is CCj still on the north list ?
With Darling & larkey as fowards and Comben another option
whats CCj position as Xerri is no way giving up his position to CCj
CCJ is contracted for next year, but ruptured his achilles R3, so whether he gets back to full fitness is a question mark

Is CCj still on the north list ?
With Darling & larkey as fowards and Comben another option
whats CCj position as Xerri is no way giving up his position to CCj

Many north fans would be happy to pay out the final year of his contract for an extra list spot.

He was not up to standard pre Achilles let alone post Achilles

I don't think you have seen much of darling play .

Sure he leads straight and kicks straight but he is also very strong in 1 on 1s and chases and tackles in the forward 50 very well .

This trade is either we get almost nothing for him and North take his salary

Or we pay his salary and we get a useful pick .

Paying his salary and getting nothing is a stupid idea . We could just play him in the wafl and be a mentor is that was the case

Ummm....that's exactly what I said. Why should any other club help you guys out here? And I've seen him play a lot...we used to call him "Toovey's Pet" cos a much smaller defender (Alan Toovey) could run rings around Darling even then. Strong in 1:1's ??? C'mon mate he averaged less than one contested mark a game this year. He's done, the WCE know it, we all know it, they just don't want to pay him for what he gives them.

The fact it's even an idea, and then the names you've mentioned, is more an indictment on North list management than anything.

No offence to Darling but will he actually take any attention away, he's as cooked as Taberner athetically (but has a football brain at least I suppose).

It is the very rare WA based player that plays decent footy much past 30.

Darling is nowhere near cooked like Taberner.

That guy couldn't string 3 games in a row together.

At least Jack is durable and actually able to play through injury and rehab. He came back from a fractured arm pretty quick and played the year out with a arm brace.

Fair few examples of Jack getting up for games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Jack Darling - “Make me a Roo!”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back