NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Was. Games moved past him.

And I think him having played for North and a giant pay packet with everything done at his direction (hello 🚩) would be the reason. Nothing particularly special about North other than as a coach you can’t do any worse with how they’ve been the past few years. Literally anyone in this thread could coach them and have a similar or better result end of year.

Was Ratten working at Hawthorn during the period in question?

Turns out he was!

Might be a lot of teams looking for coaches in a few weeks.

Kind of been something suss for a while now around clarko. His open spat with Kennett.

I reckon Hodge and Mitchell have known about this for a while.

They have both been very reticent to talk clarko up or to say anything postive about him.

Mostly met with a diplomatic avoidance.

Certainly a stink around him now.

I agree, and alot of hawks fans realised this in the last 2-3 years of his tenure. From the outside looking in it seemed he wanted all the power on every decision that was made.

I agree, and alot of hawks fans realised this in the last 2-3 years of his tenure. From the outside looking in it seemed he wanted all the power on every decision that was made.

When he stopped winning us flags, we started asking questions lolol

Turns out he was!

If Ratten, or anyone else, we’re involved or knew about it and did nothing I’d hope they’d be sacked.

If that shit happened at the Saints I’d hope we were sanctioned to make an example.

See the difference in my position to yours.

Someone leaked the report TO Jackson ffs.

I'm happy to debate this but not on these terms.
Please explain how Jackson’s article contains allegations and details that the report does not, if it was leaked to him?

Please explain how Jackson’s article contains allegations and details that the report does not, if it was leaked to him?
I assume he rang people up and talked to them?

Kind of been something suss for a while now around clarko. His open spat with Kennett.

I reckon Hodge and Mitchell have known about this for a while.

They have both been very reticent to talk clarko up or to say anything postive about him.

Mostly met with a diplomatic avoidance.

Certainly a stink around him now.
Most ex-Hawks will point to the fact that Clarkson is a very intense and overbearing character. Caro has continually made mention of how strong a north would need to be to not allow him to dictate to the club. Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis have all touched on that in their media spots - although obviously Mitchell has been very reluctant to make any commentary on Clarkson, and certainly steers discussions away from him now due to conflict of him taking over the coaching role.

Isaac Smith said only this year that the last few years at Hawthorn were not enjoyable, and this parties up with the numerous stories of fall-out between Clarkson and other HFC people like Wright, Reeves and Kennett as well as the youngsters on the list pushing for Mitchell to take over sooner rather than later, squashing the succession plan.

When he stopped winning us flags, we started asking questions lolol
When he no longer had Rath, Fagan and Fox pulling him back he started to have more control than he possibly should have.

Most ex-Hawks will point to the fact that Clarkson is a very intense and overbearing character. Caro has continually made mention of how strong a north would need to be to not allow him to dictate to the club. Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis have all touched on that in their media spots - although obviously Mitchell has been very reluctant to make any commentary on Clarkson, and certainly steers discussions away from him now due to conflict of him taking over the coaching role.

Isaac Smith said only this year that the last few years at Hawthorn were not enjoyable, and this parties up with the numerous stories of fall-out between Clarkson and other HFC people like Wright, Reeves and Kennett as well as the youngsters on the list pushing for Mitchell to take over sooner rather than later, squashing the succession plan.
Yeah this has been brewing for a while...

Wonder what Nth did or didn't know...

Essendon dodged a bullet.

I assume he rang people up and talked to them?
For sure he did. Would he need to do that if the report was leaked to him, or would he just paste slabs of anecdotes into an article and hide behind the fact that it was all written and recorded by someone else?

Turns out he was!

So, North shouldn’t be worried, but every other club that has coaches who were at Hawthorn during this time should be?

You need to take a break I think mate.

I've certainly lost a few IQ points reading some of these takes and unfortunately I didn't have much left to spare.

Some posters need to take a real hard look at themselves. Hopefully not too hard, don't want their brains to short circuit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he no longer had Rath, Fagan and Fox pulling him back he started to have more control than he possibly should have.
For purely comedic value I'd like to see ClarKo continue. He's an angry little gnome and was going to struggle to stay calm coaching a two win list I suspect.

Do you think this is a case of one in all in, or are people going to try to save their hides?
I had a go at predicting how I think this will all pan out yesterday:

Having said that, I'm not going to profess to know your club better than you do, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

The Bulldogs have themselves acknowledged they had very serious issues in this space they needed to address.

Anyway, as I said above, the only opinion that matters on Clarko coaching at North is that of our indigenous players.

I'm surd you think you know better than them though.
The only opinion on Clarkson coaching at North that matters is your indigenous players? How absurd.

If the claims are shown to be true he won’t be coaching at your club regardless of what any of your players think.

North Melbourne have survived far worse things in their history if Clarkson is forced to step down and not coach them (which I think is probably around 90 % likely at this point in time)

I feel bad for their supporters, but this issue extends above and beyond them and any club around the league.

Our whole league and indeed game has been severely tainted by these allegations, and if even a portion of it is true, all those responsible for it, at any club these days need to be weeded out and banned for life for any involvement in the AFL again.

I don't think it's that hard to deduce that for the most most part, Clarkson is pretty much a turd of a person.

He's got a long, long history.

But people are complex.

North Melbourne have survived far worse things in their history if Clarkson is forced to step down and not coach them (which I think is probably around 90 % likely at this point in time)

I feel bad for their supporters, but this issue extends above and beyond them and any club around the league.

Our whole league and indeed game has been severely tainted by these allegations, and if even a portion of it is true, all those responsible for it, at any club these days need to be weeded out and banned for life for any involvement in the AFL again.
Footy clubs tell players where they want them to live all the time.
Now, is it appropriate, in this day and age, for old rich white dudes to tell young first nations players where they will live and whom they should stay away from? No, almost certainly not.
Is this unique to Hawthorn? Heck no.
Is it likely that at various points of their careers, Clarkson and Fagan have over-stepped professional boundaries in misguided acts of paternalism? Based on the fact we have six different people alleging just that in the ABC article, I'd say quite probably!
But is that enough to sack Clarkson and Fagan?
The only aspect of the story which there is no conceivable explanation that would allow them to continue as senior coaches is Ian's abortion episode, and that's precisely why Clarkson and Fagan will say it never happened, whether it has any basis in fact or not.
The result will be that Ian will give his account, the coaches will give theirs, there will be no way for the AFL to prove or disprove what exactly was said in an impromptu meeting ten years ago.
At this point, I'll be surprised if either get sacked over this.
I'm not saying that's right or just, I just feel like I've seen this movie before.
Its just the AFL will struggle to engineer an outcome favourable to its own interests by throwing Clarkson and Fagan under a bus on this.

EDIT: as per below post

Last edited:
The only aspect of the story which there is no conceivable explanation that would allow them to continue as senior coaches is Ian's abortion episode, and that's precisely why Clarkson and Fagan say it never happened, whether it has any basis in fact or not.
The result will be that Ian will give his account, the coaches will give theirs, there will be no way for the AFL to prove or disprove what exactly was said in an impromptu meeting ten years ago.

I've not had the time to follow this closely enough the past few days- could you share where they've denied this happening?

I've not had the time to follow this closely enough the past few days- could you share where they've denied this happening?
Apologies mate, its missing the word "will". Why Clarkson and Fagan will say it never happened. Edited.

Fwiw these are their denials:

Clarkson: “I was not afforded any due process and I refute any allegation of wrongdoing or misconduct and look forward to the opportunity to be heard as part of the AFL external investigation."
Fagan: “I deny, categorically, the allegations of wrongdoing by me in relation to First Nations players at the Hawthorn Football Club."

Irving Mosquito and AMT.

Nobody knew about the Hawthorn players feeling done over in how they left until recently.

Is it plausible that Mosquito says "They treated me like crap, I hurt myself and they didn't want a bar of me. They talk a great game about Long and the Dreamtime, but when push came to shove they wiped me like a dirty arse. I just went home, I'd had a gutful of it, screw Essendon."
yeah, i'm gonna go with not really. nice strawman though

“The Bombers gave me the opportunity to fulfil my dream of playing AFL,” McDonald-Tipungwuti said.

“I have loved my time at the club and I am so proud of what I have been able to achieve in my AFL career. I am also proud of my education, coming to Victoria was to pursue my education and that has been really important for me too.

“The club and my teammates have been extremely supportive throughout my whole career but I feel really happy to be moving on to the next chapter of my life now. I’m ready for life beyond football.

”I wish all the boys the best for their future, I’ll be watching on from afar.”

Mosquito’s manager Matt Bain from TLA said his client has not given up on his dreams of playing AFL, but conceded there is no immediate plans for the left-footer to return to the club.

He also praised Essendon’s welfare department and the Bombers’ support of Mosquito.

Contacted by foxfooty.com.au on Tuesday afternoon, Essendon football boss Josh Mahoney confirmed Mosquito had gone with the club’s blessing.

“He recently asked to return home to be with his community and we were supportive of Irving taking the time to work through that.

“His wellbeing is our immediate priority and we will continue to work with Irving on what this means for his playing future.”

So according to old mate every club that has ever employed an assistant coach who worked under Clarkson has something to worry about except for North.

Also, the only thing stopping Clarkson from coaching North is getting the green light from the indigenous boys and properly contextualising his advice on abortion.

Makes sense. :think:

Yes we said to the two of them is having a baby while you're using meth a good idea?
Dunno why Clarko didn’t just drop this in his statement tbh, mustn’t be very keen to start back at work I guess.

Gill seems to think that the AFL review will at the very least take a couple of months. Clarko now looking likely to start December at the absolute earliest even if he is exonerated. Legal proceedings probably start after this date.

Boomer Harvey quite worried about how they prepare for 23 on the radio today. I wonder if Adams holds the reins as interim coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back