Cleveland is making all the same mistakes again

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Im sure you've all heard the audio.

"Like I said, if we aren't better this year, we're gonna reunite again and do some bigger and better things, alright?"

It's clear this team needs a lot of work. I thought LeBron was aware of this when he signed up.

In terms of their best players, Love and Irving are talented but havent learned to win. Or play defense. The team is lacking 3 things. A rim protector (lawlz0r), depth and defense.

So what happens? The team lets LeBron play GM again. They sign his buddies.

James Jones, Mike Miller, Marion, extend Varajao to a ridiculous contract. The first 3 are doing nothing. The last one is injured for the year, predictably enough.

This is the mistake they made the first time around.

If they give him this power, he'll either leave again (unlikely) or they just wont win anything (extremely likely).

After this year they'll resume negotiations with Tristan Thompson. Ok player, but not what Cleveland needs. He's a LeBron buddy and shares the same agent. Do they sign him to big money or do they shop him around for a big defender? If LeBron is not the GM, they should do the latter.

Stein is on it. Blatt won't last the week.

Don't forget that the Heat also had LeBron under contract for a full four years at the time. That long-term security, as much as the fact he was Pat Riley, enabled Riles to essentially tell all of the Heatles to zip it and focus on figuring things out.

In Cleveland, LeBron and Love can (and will) become free agents in July. The Cavs have no choice but to do things LeBron's way.

It's thus incumbent upon Dan Gilbert, at the very least, to rush out as fast as he can in the new year to find out what James really wants. In an Eastern Conference that isn't so Leastern at the top anymore, with the likes of Toronto and Washington and sneaky-good Atlanta all looking like tougher outs than anyone imagined, Cleveland is running out of season to save faster than you think.

I'm not sure he actually said that.

Going back to Miami is just stupid. Wade (while having a half decent year when he isn't injured) isn't getting any better. Chris Bosh turns 32 next season. I don't see Miami supporting cast being any better than Cleveland supporting cast next year (assuming Love stays).

He's missed 8 of 33 games, and is 5th in the league in PER. People are acting like he's missed half the year and isn't even an All-Star this season. Ridiculous.

I did say he was playing well when he wasn't injured. Definitely all-star level when he's out there.

Of the previous seasons he has played - 49 of 66, 69 of 82, 54 of 82 and projecting to 62 of 82 this season. This isn't really someone that is screaming his body is holding up.

I did say he was playing well when he wasn't injured. Definitely all-star level when he's out there.

Of the previous seasons he has played - 49 of 66, 69 of 82, 54 of 82 and projecting to 62 of 82 this season. This isn't really someone that is screaming his body is holding up.

I'm just referring to this season. Talk around acts like he's played 10-15 games and he's been lacklustre in those games, when he's still playing at a very high level, and hasn't missed as much time as people are making out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleveland have put all there eggs into the basket and are now paying for it. They look so lack luster and lost on the court.. Glimpses but not consistent.

wade to cleveland then i guess :p

THIS!!! Why is knowone mentioning the possibility of this? The Heat suck and Wade has an option on his contract for next year, I for one can see him walking.

FYI I know you were taking the piss, however I don't think its that far from the realms of possibility.

THIS!!! Why is knowone mentioning the possibility of this? The Heat suck and Wade has an option on his contract for next year, I for one can see him walking.

FYI I know you were taking the piss, however I don't think its that far from the realms of possibility.

Why did Wade not join James in Cleveland in 2010? If Wade was going to join the Cavs it would have been then. Miami have a much better team in 2015 than they did in the 09/10 season.

No it won't.
What? It won't make him look like a selfish player who can't handle playing in a struggling side so he leaves for a contender team AGAIN.

Cleveland fans were fuming when he left the first time to go to Miami to form the big 3. They had a good run, but he left Miami when he realised they were on the down (and dont say it wasn't because of that, because we know it was). He made big fan fare about having unfinished business in Cleveland and they forgave him to a degree. The club made trades to accommodate him.

To leave again would prove he doesn't care for his hometown or is prepared to stick with the club and help them to success and to lifting their first championship trophy. Sure he might still have his stats and trophies if he left, but it would tarnish his image in the eyes of fans

You look at legends like Larry Bird, Kobe, Hakeem, Magic and to an extent Jordan. They all stuck by their club during tight times. Jordan only left in his twilight. Kobe was traded by Phoenix in his first year, but stuck by the Lakers well past his prime when he could have chased more championship glory.

What? It won't make him look like a selfish player who can't handle playing in a struggling side so he leaves for a contender team AGAIN.

Cleveland fans were fuming when he left the first time to go to Miami to form the big 3. They had a good run, but he left Miami when he realised they were on the down (and dont say it wasn't because of that, because we know it was). He made big fan fare about having unfinished business in Cleveland and they forgave him to a degree. The club made trades to accommodate him.

To leave again would prove he doesn't care for his hometown or is prepared to stick with the club and help them to success and to lifting their first championship trophy. Sure he might still have his stats and trophies if he left, but it would tarnish his image in the eyes of fans

You look at legends like Larry Bird, Kobe, Hakeem, Magic and to an extent Jordan. They all stuck by their club during tight times. Jordan only left in his twilight. Kobe was traded by Phoenix in his first year, but stuck by the Lakers well past his prime when he could have chased more championship glory.
He didn't leave 1st time cause it was a struggling side, he left cause the organisation was a rabble and they promised to bring in players to help contend and never did.
If he leaves again i wont have a issue with it, the organisation is still a rabble.
You bring up those guys saying they never left to win, sorry but Bird had a superstar team around him, Hakeem didnt win anything til Drexler and co got there, Magic had a superstar team and Jordan ended up getting Pippen alongside him and a stacked roster. Who was the best player LeBron had at Cleveland? Mo ****ing Williams hahahaha. Please. He begged for 4 seasons saying he needed other players there to help out and got nothing and still reguarly took them to the conference finals and a NBA Finals by himself. He leaves and the Cavs dont even win 10 ****ing games. Man.

They just remind me of the Lakers in 2012-13 with Dwight Howard, Kobe, Nash and Gasol. We had an awesome team. But we sucked.

We ended up relying completely on Kobe t drag us to the playoffs, and out season was effectively over when he did his Achilles...

I doubt this current Cleveland roster will ever make a finals run... As they say "a team of champions will never beat a champion team"

Lebron back he and JR carry them. Love gets exposed as a liability and Kyrie has a stinker. Not sure the coach can actually take the court (although Blatt just about tries to!) but I expect a firing pretty soon.

Lol we are a whopping game and a half behind Cleveland. Also beat them. Wade won't ever leave. Even if he ends up chucking 50 shots a game Kobe style.

Ive liked their moves recently to bring in Mozgov and Shump. Not so much JR Smith. But LeBron does what he wants and JR Smith is a mate of his. I think the Mozgov move was a win now trade. Varajao being out meant they needed a big but how will that go next season when Varajao is back. Which one gets benched, I guess you cant rely on Varajao to stay healthy though.

Love is the wrong fit and combined with JR Smith and Irving, dont defend.

It's a bit of a mess. Id honestly if I were LeBron get Love to resign then trade. Trade Irving too.

In fact if I was LeBron id offer Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love for Anthony Davis.

Then win another 3 or 4 titles.

Waaay too soon to start panicking in Cleveland.

If LeBron is genuinely throwing the baby out with the bathwater behind closed doors, then he's just as much of a prima donna as the Kings organisation were when they fired Malone.

These things rarely come together in the space of the season - frankly the Heat making it to the finals in 2010-11 was an incredible feat.

Love, Irving and James have played less than 13 hours together with a roster that has changed dramatically since their opening night loss vs. the Knicks.

By Cavs standards, the moves made have been savvy. I still believe giving away first round picks to Boston along with Karasev and Zeller was a careless and arrogant move, especially given Varejao's history.

However, Mozgov is extremely underrated and is their starting C of the future. Shumpert is a handy role player, Smith can certainly score in the right environment. They may not win the chip this year but they'll fearsome by the time 2015-16 rolls aroubd when they've got playoff experience together under the belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleveland is making all the same mistakes again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back