Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Beveridge and Chris Grant (who is now head of football at the Bulldogs) hate each other so much that they can't be in the same room together and have to communicate through an intermediary. That is obviously unprofessional on the part of both of them and unsustainable in the long run. So it would not surprise me if Beveridge was suddenly and somewhat unexpectedly sacked at the end of this season even if the team performance was at acceptable levels.

Bevo and Ken, huh?

Excuse Me What GIF

Perhaps, we can reintroduce the head of strategy and innovation role that was previously held by Phil Walsh and then Pyke where the person is responsible for all the game plan tactics/strategies & overall playing style which essentially allows the head coach to solely focus on coaching and developing the squad.

Might be something we end up doing again if we hire a highly rated assistant coach to be our new coach and perhaps, we could bring on someone like Mark Stone for that head of strategy and innovation role.

Bevo has never made the top 4. Ever.

Fluked his way into two GF with very favourable umpiring. There is no way he would get that here and our travel schedule makes it pretty much impossible to make a GF from outside top 4.
We are a long way from looking at the top four so we don’t need to worry about that.

We are just looking for some credibility and an upward moving trajectory.

Finals are a long way off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps, we can reintroduce the head of strategy and innovation role that was previously held by Phil Walsh and then Pyke where the person is responsible for all the game plan tactics/strategies & overall playing style which essentially allows the head coach to solely focus on coaching and developing the squad.

Might be something we end up doing again if we hire a highly rated assistant coach to be our new coach and perhaps, we could bring on someone like Mark Stone for that head of strategy and innovation role.
Get what you're saying CK.
But it's the Head Coach role to determine best game plan/playing style after considering input from support coaches?
Every decision is on coach, live and die by the sword.
I can't remember where the Sumich radio segment is on here, posted by goroyals. Suma, rightfully not always admired for his commentary, does make a great point about the Head Coach responsibility.

Hypothetically, what do you enjoy or laugh more at.
Taking bucks or ken, they get the list sorterd out in 3-4 years, stay on and make a surprise granny.
Ken beating the power,
Or bucks beating the pies?

Hypothetically, what do you enjoy or laugh more at.
Taking bucks or ken, they get the list sorterd out in 3-4 years, stay on and make a surprise granny.
Ken beating the power,
Or bucks beating the pies?

The true ultimate would be Bevo comes in and teaches us how to throw, we redraft Mitch Brown and then beat the Bulldogs from 8th in 2026.

Get what you're saying CK.
But it's the Head Coach role to determine best game plan/playing style after considering input from support coaches?
Every decision is on coach, live and die by the sword.
I can't remember where the Sumich radio segment is on here, posted by goroyals. Suma, rightfully not always admired for his commentary, does make a great point about the Head Coach responsibility.

Yeh, that is definitely a fair point.

I was just recalling back when Woosh acknowledged that he wasn't that strong tactically and so, he brought on Walsh to help him out in that aspect.

But yeh, in the end, the head coach would most likely end up making the final decision in regards to approval/disapproval of the suggested game plan/playing style.

I don't think we should be looking for super duper sexy game plans to make a difference at this point in time. We don't have the quality of personel to play like Collingwood, Brisbane or Sydney and won't have that personel for some time.

Nor do we have the basic building blocks of 100% effort, two way running and adherence to team rules that have to be in place for any game plane to work to any degree. I think that this is where the new coach needs to start.

And as for the game plan, as much as supporters won't like it and i will get shouted down for saying it, maybe we should do what other sides who don't have a whole lot of talent on their list but are getting the absolute most out of their lists like St Kilda and Hawthorn do, and have a game plan based around team defence. Defence is more about effort, organisation and discipline than it is talent. So if you don't have many all stars on your list it is a more logical place to start than having an offence oriented game plan that requires individual skills and talents that you just don't have available.

I don't think we should be looking for super duper sexy game plans to make a difference at this point in time. We don't have the quality of personel to play like Collingwood, Brisbane or Sydney and won't have that personel for some time.

Nor do we have the basic building blocks of 100% effort, two way running and adherence to team rules that have to be in place for any game plane to work to any degree. I think that this is where the new coach needs to start.

And as for the game plan, as much as supporters won't like it and i will get shouted down for saying it, maybe we should do what other sides who don't have a whole lot of talent on their list but are getting the absolute most out of their lists like St Kilda and Hawthorn do, and have a game plan based around team defence. Defence is more about effort, organisation and discipline than it is talent. So if you don't have many all stars on your list it is a more logical place to start than having an offence oriented game plan that requires individual skills and talents that you just don't have available.
How do you get that 100% effort ? you can see the players for some reason come out and just go half arsed, that has to be motivational. Its probably time to put the entire list on performance based wages somehow, pay the minimum possible and boost their pay packet with wins/effort. I bet if they stop getting paid this effort problem would disappear.

The point was more that having someone alongside the new coach that can take care of the tactical side of things would allow the head coach to solely focus on coaching/developing the squad. We did it back in 2009 with Woosh and when Simpson was appointed. It is rare to find a new, inexperienced head coach who is going to be strong in all areas to start off with.

Also, during a rebuild, you need to have a vision around the ideal game plan/playing style you would want to play during your peak as that determines list needs during drafts.

Last edited:
I hope in the spirit of a rebuild we don’t go for a fossil of a coach, Footy is a young man’s game and I don’t want an old bastard who’s already tried unsuccessfully for a decade somewhere else.
I’m 52 and I don’t have the same energy or enthusiasm for work, I still do it, but not to the same level as I previously have, retirement thoughts creep more and more into the thinking.
Corey Enright is around the right age for example.
Just my 2 cents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back