• Lade

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's more than Ken's achieved in the past decade.

For where we are currently i dont see how that matters at all. It's how they can rebuild a club and set standards in a young team.

Fwiw, they have the same finals record, Hinkley has a fair bit better record overall. And he also built Port from a basketcase that had 3 wins and 5 wins in the 2 seasons before he arrived straight into finals (and only missed them 4 times in 12 seasons)

Have said a few times I don't really want either, but out of the 2 how one is deemed OK and the other has people microwaving memberships is totally bizarre

For where we are currently i dont see how that matters at all. It's how they can rebuild a club and set standards in a young team.

Fwiw, they have the same finals record, Hinkley has a fair bit better record overall. And he also built Port from a basketcase that had 3 wins and 5 wins in the 2 seasons before he arrived straight into finals (and only missed them 4 times in 12 seasons)

Have said a few times I don't really want either, but out of the 2 how one is deemed OK and the other has people microwaving memberships is totally bizarre
I'm not keen on Buckley either but in no way, shape or form do I want Hinkley anywhere near the club as a head coach.

Port are a soft team and people complain that our blokes aren't hard enough. Having Hinkley isn't going to fix that.

This is fast becoming my favourite thread

Don't particularly want Hinkley but if he's assessed as the best candidate I can see the merit. Definitely not a toys out of the cot situation

And for the life of me I cannot understand how some are perfectly fine with Buckley but shit the bed at the thought of Hinkley

I’ll start by saying this is an entirely rational POV and if the club does choose Hinkley after canvassing all the available options then so be it

But it’ll take me some time to come to terms with it. I really don’t like Port and haven’t been a fan of how he goes about things as a coach. Can’t explain why in any rational manner so won’t try.

Buckley, however, I find to be a measured commentator and I like the way he conducted himself as a coach

So despite Hinkley and Buckley probably having relatively similar prospects of success based on their coaching records, I’d far prefer Buckley over Hinkley. I know that might sound illogical but it’s where my heads at

No mention of a certain other prelim ...

Ken Hinkley, ladies and gentlemen!

Sure, we got smashed in an elimination final by the doggies when we were 5th. Heck Dimma and tigers got smashed by pies in 18.

My point is we often rate coaches by premierships and GF but really if a coach is getting you there and has a good win loss record often it's really down to luck making and/or winning a GF and not an indication on how good the coach is.

Last edited:
I think we are better off not adding more inexperience, no matter how "fresh" it is if we have a choice in the matter.
Simmo when hired - Inexperienced.
Woosha when hired - inexperienced.
John Todd when hired - inexperienced.
Ron Alexander when hired - inexperienced.

The other experienced coaches we have had:
Ken Judge who lasted 2 seasons had 4 years at Hawthorn
Malthouse had 6 seasons at Footscray and only played finals in one season of that 6 for 2L 1W

So it's hit and miss no matter which way you go.
I just want the best candidate.

I’ll start by saying this is an entirely rational POV and if the club does choose Hinkley after canvassing all the available options then so be it

I really don’t want Hinkley and if the club choose him, I will feel that it is another in a long list of mistakes that they have made in recent history.

I love the club, love watching the team play, but my trust and faith in their decision making is at an all time low.

I am hoping and praying that the club make a good decision that the fan base can get behind. With all the possible candidates I just can’t see how that would be Hinkley.

Malthouse had 6 seasons at Footscray and only played finals in one season of that 6 for 2L 1W

John Todd had coached in the WAFL for two decades and won four premierships before he replaced Alexander.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it’ll take me some time to come to terms with it. I really don’t like Port and haven’t been a fan of how he goes about things as a coach. Can’t explain why in any rational manner so won’t try.

I'm the exact opposite. **** Buckley.

I'd take that figjam kent over Lyon or Hird though.

Taking on Hinkley is just aspiring to respectable mediocrity. Balls to that. Let's find the guy who'll lead us to our next flag. The pressure on a rookie coach is overstated imho; no one sane expects us to be contenders overnight, and if a young coach can't handle The West assailing him with stupid puns and Photoshop, he wasn't cut out for the gig anyway.

Where the wce kern haters now? Not a peep.

While I'm not saying we should hire him.

But
Kern needs to be considered or sack the board. Anyone that gets unreasonable angry at ken needs to go and touch grass.

Ken Hinkley is the best coach that drives their squad with emotion of all time (or motivational coach). Collingwood coach is the same while he's got a flag he still hasn't proven his worth for 12 years and we will see his lowest ladder position compared to kern

Last edited:

F**k me this is a horrible take

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back