Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Id be ok with Kenny coming across. We just need to stabilise the performances, and an experienced coach can/should be able to achieve this.
The players know hes been a relatively successful coach for a long time, albeit no premierships.

The whole 2-3 years into a succession plan I think would be ideal. The list is in a bit of a spot, but I dont think its that far off.
If we can replace the 10-12 worst players over the next 2 years with a few high picks, a few motivated FAs/trades/mature age pick ups we will be fine.

Give Ken or some other experienced bloke 3 years, then look to hand it down to a younger coach to take the list for the long haul

Assuming there is something there, dishing out non - denial denials to the media is pretty silly when you are in Ken's position. You have no other option but to put your best poker face on and straight up lie through your teeth to the media and say you haven't been contacted and are not interested in any positions at other clubs. All you are doing with the non - denial denial is pouring gasoline on the fire. It is not fooling anybody. And if the media find out in 4 months time that you lied you just tell them "Yes, i lied to you, i had no obligation to tell you anything and what are you going to do about it now anyway?".

Some of you being ok with Kenny coming over. We've fallen that far that you've found a coping mechanism to cope with this.

I was there at the games in the first year. He comes over, i abandon my club for life and the sport. I'm finished I'm done.

Kenny coming over. It's like being OK wirh your best mate rooting your mum every night... and holding her hand in support during the dede

You are sick and need help.

Bottom ten Ken, has padded his 60% record with nearly flawless performances against titans like St Kilda, Norf and Fold Coast.

Been found wanting in every single major game save for a couple good wins in qualifying finals.

Been spanked by 10 goals in a home prelim against a travel weary injury decimated dogs.

Has an inferior win/loss record against the crows in a time where they have been a basket case.

Has a ratshit game plan involving a high press, machine gun F50 entry's with no clear plan.

Hinkley comes anywhere near WA you'll never hear from me again.

Hansen hasn't been at the club for what, 16 years?

A 'boy's' club would be doing everything to get Dean Cox in.

It just so happens that 3 of the top assistant candidates happen to be ex-Eagles.

Also, Simmo over Sumich ring any bells?

Boys club doesn't necessarily mean you have to have played for the Eagles to get a gig. It means mates and associates getting jobs and positions due to proximity rather than merit.

Simmo over Sumich was a good call at the time. Sumich would be a horrible coach.

How does that explain Simpson and Malthouse?

Simpson was a good call.

Malthouse got in on the bottom floor so to speak and my take is the Eagles wanted someone well versed in VFL tricks of the trade to get us going in such a hostile comp.

Boys Club refers to the entire organisation not just the coach. Boys clubs evolve over time and a couple of exceptions don't disprove the rule.

Simpson was a good call.

Malthouse got in on the bottom floor so to speak and my take is the Eagles wanted someone well versed in VFL tricks of the trade to get us going in such a hostile comp.

Boys Club refers to the entire organisation not just the coach. Boys clubs evolve over time and a couple of exceptions don't disprove the rule.
Wce is a massive boys club. Lots of jobs for the boys and their sons. People put up with it when success follows, although this all needs to be pulled apart now.

I'd prefer we didn't go anywhere near Hinkley as much as anyone else - but I wouldn't microwave my membership over it.

One positive I'd see in him coming over though is he wouldn't be scared to make the hard calls on our list, team selection, veterans etc. If we got a first time coach I'd be worried that they'd compromise these decisions due to wanting to keep an appearance of not getting thrashed.

It's all hypothetical anyway, not going to lose any sleep over it. 🤷‍♂️

I say this without even a hint of sarcasm: If we sign Hinkley I will delete my account and stop following football.

Perennial loser of the highest order
Im now in the sign Hinkly camp.
Nothing personal Squashy but that avatar is beyond the pale. So Im willing to accept 3 years of Hinkly to not see Sam f0cking Mclures face on this board again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wce is a massive boys club. Lots of jobs for the boys and their sons. People put up with it when success follows, although this all needs to be pulled apart now.

Agree 100%, the boys club works for a while before the incompetence catches up with you in a competition designed to expose your every weakness.

Ruthless pragmatic decisions followed by strategic planning and implementation is the only way out.

The West Coast Eagles and the Adelaide Crows both have come undone from being the top dog in town with minimal opposition and fawning sycophantic followers allowing mediocrity to take hold.

I'd prefer we didn't go anywhere near Hinkley as much as anyone else - but I wouldn't microwave my membership over it.

One positive I'd see in him coming over though is he wouldn't be scared to make the hard calls on our list, team selection, veterans etc. If we got a first time coach I'd be worried that they'd compromise these decisions due to wanting to keep an appearance of not getting thrashed.

It's all hypothetical anyway, not going to lose any sleep over it.
He's basically a like for like replacement for simpson. The board should have just been harder on simpson to ditch his friendships and start coaching/rebuilding - although simpson appeared to want to get fired and paid out

Hinkley's best chance for a win tonight against a top 4 opponent away from home since 2015 given the outs for Carlton.

His most recent success was beating the Hawks by 22 points at Marvel in their premiership year of 2015.

Here is a breakdown from the port board of Kens record in this stat.

2024: (0-?) Wont play Sydney or Bris away, Carlton is this week, If Freo hold their spot we play them in the last round.
2023: (0-3) Brisbane (48), Carlton (50) and Collingwood (71) - All 3 of our biggest losses, next 2 were to Adelaide.
2022: (0-3) Geelong (35), Melbourne (14 - TIO), Collingwood (6)
2021: (0-1) Brisbane (49)
2020: (0-2) Brisbane (37), Geelong (60)
2019: (0-3) Brisbane (17), Richmond (38), Collingwood (39)
2018: (0-3) West Coast (42), Collingwood (51), Hawks (3 - Tas)
2017: (0-3) Adelaide (84), GWS (31), Geelong (2)
2016: (0-2) Sydney (67), GWS (86)
2015: (1-2) Freo (7), Sydney (10), Hawks (22)

Now the rebuttal will be we are not competing for finals we are rebuilding. Still makes zero sense to bring a bloke with a record like that into the club. West Coast know how to flat track already we have a long proud history of it. Ken is a flat tracker of the highest order, has made a fortune off beating up on the bottom 10 teams while consistently losing to higher ranked teams and choking in big games.

We need a ruthless winner who understands what it takes for sustained success. Not a bloke happy to make a few prelims and keep the tarps away from Adelaide oval seats.

Simpson was a good call.

I know what you are saying and it may be relevant to the club internals over years - others may call it sat ability and loyalty. There has been significant movement in that area as well. It doesn't seem to apply to coaching appointments. The club wasn't appointing Worsfold for example but supporter pressure was overwhelming.

I come in peace.

There's legs to the Hinkley to WCE "rumour" - it's definitely not just Peter Blucher getting on the hot mic for a sound bite or two. I don't say this as conjecture, but rather this is info I'm getting from people high up at Port. There's still a lot to play out, but it's one to watch in the coming weeks.

Odds are if Port get smacked these next two games in particular, things could accelerate quite quickly if WCE remain interested.

And Port would let him go if WCE want him and he wants to go there. That's not an issue at all irrespective of his contract status.

FWIW, I can 100% guarantee that this poster's information comes from the most impeccable source imaginable. Doesn't mean Hinkley to West Coast is a done deal but it's a live option.

Don't really get the Hinkley hate. 60% win record and he took over an absolute basket case. Has made prelims with two fairly different lists and tbh could easily have made a grand final on both occasions with them losing those prelims by a goal to eventual premiers (and dynasties) in Hawthorn and Richmond

No mention of a certain other prelim ...

Ken Hinkley, ladies and gentlemen!

FWIW, I can 100% guarantee that this poster's information comes from the most impeccable source imaginable. Doesn't mean Hinkley to West Coast is a done deal but it's a live option.
Goes without saying. Anyone that comes in peas is a trustworthy source in my book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back