• Lade

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to preface this post by saying I'm the kind of person that just won't watch/listen to content coz I don't want to give the plebs the hits. Was listening to 6PR last night in the car to catch a bit of the Bombers/Swans match.

Hopped in the car this morning and the radio was still tuned in to 882. Guess who was on? Our little mate Brad Hardie.

He starts on his little rant about the Eagles coaching gig with "Schofield will get the job, and it will be a complete Bradbury appointment". (I also posted last night about him using Bradbury to describe our last flag) How massively disrespectful to possibly the best credentialed assistants in the league. Guy has so many ticks in his resume he should be next in line for a head coaching gig anyway.

Brad continued on saying that the Eagles are in shambles off the field - people in Melbourne asking "what's going on over there?", that we are the laughing stock of the industry, have completely fluffed the coach search - "why haven't they interviewed anyone yet? They're just making calls!" - well Brad, I'd say there's been no interviews yet coz most of the candidates are currently working due to the AFL season still be played out. Doubtful their current employer's would be happy if they did abandone their current roles to seek an appointment elsewhere whilst still in the hunt for finals.

So I got about 90 seconds into that and shut it off. 50% of it may be true but this week has been pretty rough for the club with all and sundry taking a massive dump on us coz candidates keep declaring themselves out of the race. I'm actually starting to lean towards Schofield out of pure spite (I'd of course still hope and expect the club to do their due diligence as normal regardless).

️ just on interviewing prospects while their season is still alive.

IIRC - Some assistants were given the approval of their club to interview last year and then come back to fill AC duties. Not sure how widespread the approvals were.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be surprised if an AFL club would say to their assistant that they can't interview for head coaching gigs elsewhere, however I'd also assume that the optics would not be ideal.

I'd be surprised if an AFL club would say to their assistant that they can't interview for head coaching gigs elsewhere, however I'd also assume that the optics would not be ideal.
From memory, didn't Pyke leave WCE early when he got appointed Adelaide head coach?

Edit: Oh wait, I'm thinking of Brady Rawlings when he went to Norf as Football GM.

The thing I keep thinking about when somebody says giving an interim coach the full time gig is a bad idea is that most of the people they're probably thinking of, especially in recent memory, were appointed to complete basket case clubs. Clubs with a history of either internal disarray or chronic lack of resources, two things which all but preclude a serious climb up the ladder. And, to be clear, two things that our current club does not suffer from.

There is merit in saying don't get sucked in by good results under the interim. I think that is a completely fair point, since I can't explain why, for example, Teague and Rhyce Shaw were able to look like competent coaches in the interim but less so the moment the club gave them more accountability. So, we shouldn't really give much weight to wins or losses under Schofield.

But Schofield has a coaching CV that stands on its own merit. Regardless of what the club has done with him at the helm, he has a level of experience that is very fitting for a first time senior coach. Time will tell whether he actually gets it and how history views that decision but he is unquestionably qualified for the role.

Also, for every Teague/Shaw, there is a Neil Craig/Grant Thomas who were definitely not complete failures (to go alongside Paul Roos of course). We absolutely should take our pick of the best candidates, whoever that ends up being - but discounting someone because they're doing the job right now is the most lizard brained take anyone could have on the situation. We aren't North and we aren't Carlton or St Kilda or any other ****about club that would ride on the romance of the new guy getting some good results. If the board likes him over anyone else, appoint him and trust that the club can offer the materiel support and internal unity that will help him succeed.

For sure. If Schofield was still working as an assistant at another club we would possibly be considering him our number one target. I know I would.

I want to preface this post by saying I'm the kind of person that just won't watch/listen to content coz I don't want to give the plebs the hits. Was listening to 6PR last night in the car to catch a bit of the Bombers/Swans match.

Hopped in the car this morning and the radio was still tuned in to 882. Guess who was on? Our little mate Brad Hardie.

He starts on his little rant about the Eagles coaching gig with "Schofield will get the job, and it will be a complete Bradbury appointment". (I also posted last night about him using Bradbury to describe our last flag) How massively disrespectful to possibly the best credentialed assistants in the league. Guy has so many ticks in his resume he should be next in line for a head coaching gig anyway.

Brad continued on saying that the Eagles are in shambles off the field - people in Melbourne asking "what's going on over there?", that we are the laughing stock of the industry, have completely fluffed the coach search - "why haven't they interviewed anyone yet? They're just making calls!" - well Brad, I'd say there's been no interviews yet coz most of the candidates are currently working due to the AFL season still be played out. Doubtful their current employer's would be happy if they did abandone their current roles to seek an appointment elsewhere whilst still in the hunt for finals.

So I got about 90 seconds into that and shut it off. 50% of it may be true but this week has been pretty rough for the club with all and sundry taking a massive dump on us coz candidates keep declaring themselves out of the race. I'm actually starting to lean towards Schofield out of pure spite (I'd of course still hope and expect the club to do their due diligence as normal regardless).
I stopped listening to 6PR on Saturday mornings because of Hardie. ABC is much better anyway at the same time - has Wheeldon & Wellingham on.

I stopped listening to 6PR on Saturday mornings because of Hardie. ABC is much better anyway at the same time - has Wheeldon & Wellingham on.

I think it's almost a muscle memory thing listening to 6PR on Saturday mornings in the car all the way from back in the 90s. Time to learn something new and put it on 720 instead.

Very similar conversation on sport FM this morning between Townsend, Michale and Sumich.
Spoke a lot about the damage Simmo did to the list by not playing kids the last 3 years and getting 30 odd games into them. He chose his old players and wouldn’t budge.
They spoke about the need to get outside help to find a coach and that was showing the club simply does not have the right people working for them.
They spoke also about why people such as Sumich himself, former coaches like Ratten etc are not being asked.
They all agreed Australia is miles behind other parts of the world as we are looking at first time coaches instead of encouraging coaches to coach deep into their 60’s. They don’t think we have it right here.
They agreed Schofield has the best resume if they can’t secure another experienced coach.
But it was very clear by them for what it’s worth that the list is in such a bad position that it’s not an attractive job to young coaches who feel their career could be killed by a club with a list profile like ours.
Townsend and Michale were savage on Simpson and Nisbett, sums was pretty quite about it for a change.

Very similar conversation on sport FM this morning between Townsend, Michale and Sumich.
Spoke a lot about the damage Simmo did to the list by not playing kids the last 3 years and getting 30 odd games into them. He chose his old players and wouldn’t budge.
They spoke about the need to get outside help to find a coach and that was showing the club simply does not have the right people working for them.
They spoke also about why people such as Sumich himself, former coaches like Ratten etc are not being asked.
They all agreed Australia is miles behind other parts of the world as we are looking at first time coaches instead of encouraging coaches to coach deep into their 60’s. They don’t think we have it right here.
They agreed Schofield has the best resume if they can’t secure another experienced coach.
But it was very clear by them for what it’s worth that the list is in such a bad position that it’s not an attractive job to young coaches who feel their career could be killed by a club with a list profile like ours.
Townsend and Michale were savage on Simpson and Nisbett, sums was pretty quite about it for a change.
Didn't we get the same company who we've hired this time to help with hiring Simpson himself? Seems like something we've been doing for quite a while

Didn't we get the same company who we've hired this time to help with hiring Simpson himself? Seems like something we've been doing for quite a while

Why the **** would WCE ask Sumich to have any involvement in the club whatsoever?

Ratten's also the GM of football at Hawthorn, which he described as his 'dream' role.

Also, how would they know who WCE have/haven't spoken to, other than Pyke himself.

Obviously they don't consider Sumich's option worth listening to.

Why the **** would WCE ask Sumich to have any involvement in the club whatsoever?

Ratten's also the GM of football at Hawthorn, which he described as his 'dream' role.

Also, how would they know who WCE have/haven't spoken to, other than Pyke himself.

Obviously they don't consider Sumich's option worth listening to.

Now I don’t want Suma either but I don’t think being upset with someone just because they tell it as it is gets you anywhere either.
Suma is a club legend and just because he speaks honestly to many get upset over it.
Not much he has said has not been correct, it’s just that we don’t like hearing it.

Now I don’t want Suma either but I don’t think being upset with someone just because they tell it as it is gets you anywhere either.
Suma is a club legend and just because he speaks honestly to many get upset over it.
Not much he has said has not been correct, it’s just that we don’t like hearing it.
It's more that on his own show 'Why am I not getting asked?"

Like come one. Nobody else wanted him as a senior coach either and he hasn't been involved in AFL football for years.

Club legend and honesty or not, he's not someone we should be inviting to get involved in the search for a new coach and definitely not someone we should be considering for the role.

That ship has sailed but is currently a distant last in the Boat Race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more that on his own show 'Why am I not getting asked?"

Like come one. Nobody else wanted him as a senior coach either and he hasn't been involved in AFL football for years.

Club legend and honesty or not, he's not someone we should be inviting to get involved in the search for a new coach and definitely not someone we should be considering for the role.

That ship has sailed but is currently a distant last in the Boat Race.

It was Michale and Townsend asking why he is not getting asked when he has a passion to coach. Suma apparently looking to coach Perth or South Freo.
They were saying he is as qualified as anyone. Suma said little, however I reckon he liked them saying it.

It was Michale and Townsend asking why he is not getting asked when he has a passion to coach. Suma apparently looking to coach Perth or South Freo.
They were saying he is as qualified as anyone. Suma said little, however I reckon he liked them saying it.
When was the last time he coached somewhere at AFL level?
I wouldn't think someone out of the game at the top level for some time would have much of a chance of even being considered

Still don’t get why people are dirty on him though? Club great for me. Nothing he has said about our club bothers me. Mostly facts.

I cannot remember him having a positive thing to say about the Eagles since being over-looked for Simpson, granted the past 3 years there's been little positive to say about us. Since then it's seemed like he has a clear agenda against us and does not like putting his hand up and admit being wrong - his preseason comments about Harley the most recent example.

Australian rules is probably more complex than any other sport, 18 v 18, more rules than other sports, rules constantly changing. The reason AFL chases younger coaches over coaches deep into their 60s is likely that the game evolves so quickly, older coaches are less able to keep up. Basic fundamentals may stay the same but everything else is markedly different from football in the 90s or 00s. That’s not to say some older coaches won’t be able to adapt but it would be far fewer than in other sports.

Wouldn’t Sumich be a first time coach?

I think some of these media types are still living in 2023.

Most of our off field problems have been addressed:
  • New CEO ( looking good so far)
  • New fitness staff (also looking good)
  • New List Manager
  • Beginning the search for a new coach

These changes won’t have an instant impact on on-field results or the quality of our list, but we are heading in the right direction.

Time to stop focusing on the mistakes of the past administration and look to the future.

I remember when Dew was the highest rated assistant in the game.

I really wouldn't stress about people not putting their name forward, we only need 1 candidate if they are the right one. Even then, our biggest needs are drafting and putting the Beagles in a position to be a good development environment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back