Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

They won a flag in 1973 which ended a 47 year drought, they then went back to being a lost cause until 1988.
When I was growing up Subiaco were indeed a basket case.

I don’t know how much credit Schofield gets for turning that around, then.

Still think Dean Cox is our best first choice option. Obviously though it's all about how they interview and what they think they can do with the list.

Will trust the club to do as well as they did when they chose Simmo. I do think that we should avoid Schofield for not other reason but because he has been a part of the coaching set up over the last few years where we stunk. I was however impressed at times against the Lions so keen to see how he ends the season.

Still think Dean Cox is our best first choice option. Obviously though it's all about how they interview and what they think they can do with the list.

Will trust the club to do as well as they did when they chose Simmo. I do think that we should avoid Schofield for not other reason but because he has been a part of the coaching set up over the last few years where we stunk. I was however impressed at times against the Lions so keen to see how he ends the season.
Cox is staying in Sydney. Book mark this.

Surprisingly, there is a wealth of talent out there in the coaching stakes, but Schofield doesn't lack anything compared to the others. I don't want anyone who has to be persuaded to come to us, which from all reports rules out Buckley and Cox

Duff threw up an interesting one this morning - Scott Selwood… who is ‘highly regarded’. Very young for a senior coach. But when you think about some of the older guys e.g. Cox, Buckley etc. who likely dont want to upend their families, particularly if not from the West, which works in our favour for Cox, the lure home (and in Bucks case in a split family this is nigh on impossible.) A young coach could make sense if they had a senior assistant / director of coaching, they’d relate to the younger players. Don’t mind the idea of say a Selwood who could potentially bring with him some young assistant, hell could he lure Pendles to play for yr & coach after a la Mitchell (just hopefully dont lose him back to the Pies after year…) Imagine how HR9, Trew, Ginbey would react with this & what they could learn. The next coach / coaching group could play a huge part in keeping Reid on side. Could Scooter bring Joel? Etc etc. So much to consider! Montgomery sounds interesting too. Sure cant rule out Schofield either, glad he gets a month & a bit show his wares. Don’t shoot me down, just repeating what I heard & I am in no way suggesting Scooter as coach, just throwing up a Hail Mary! Could Shuey lure his old mate Scooter over as an assistant with him, under say a Schofield, be a coach in waiting?

I like the Scooter idea, but he might be too young.

Would getting in an experienced coach to take the reigns and develop the squad for 2 years, to take the heat of the tough years, with a succession plan in place for a guy like Scott Selwood be favourable?

Potentially a guy like Mark Stone who has been mentioned here, he could be a good fit? Hes nearly 60, so a head coaching job for a couple of years leading into a director of coaching style gig might suit him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what evidence this is based on!

This isn't a court of law. But if the best team in the comp has him lined up to be the next coach than the 3rd worst team in the comp should be all over that favourite son.

I don't work in a court, but evidence and data is important inputs to decision making. Follow the leader is a vanilla strategy.

Sure and I trust the club to make the right call, as a fan I'm also entitled to my preference.

I don't work in a court, but evidence and data is important inputs to decision making. Follow the leader is a vanilla strategy.

What have evidence and data taught you about Waterman this season, just out of interest?

I like the Scooter idea, but he might be too young.

Would getting in an experienced coach to take the reigns and develop the squad for 2 years, to take the heat of the tough years, with a succession plan in place for a guy like Scott Selwood be favourable?

Potentially a guy like Mark Stone who has been mentioned here, he could be a good fit? Hes nearly 60, so a head coaching job for a couple of years leading into a director of coaching style gig might suit him

Yeah, a little too young for me. If this was 2027 or something then maybe it would be something to consider. Scooter's only 34 at the moment and I'm pretty sure Simmo was like 37 when he got the Eagles gig so timelines would've matched up pretty well in that case.

Also, fair enough if Coxy doesn't want to job, I honestly don't care who gets it as long as they bring some f*cking standards and a different coaching/development staff. Those development coaches have been stealing money for far too long.

I am going to assume that when the 6pm media in Perth tonight are saying "sources close to Cox" say he is not applying or interested in the eagles job that means Cox himself said it to them off the record, i.e. they can report it but not attribute it directly to him. And Longmire is talking as though Cox has already told them he is not applying for the job. So i don't think this is just a negotiating tactic from Cox to tease out a longer contract, i think it looks like he really is out.

I am going to assume that when the 6pm media in Perth tonight are saying "sources close to Cox" say he is not applying or interested in the eagles job that means Cox himself said it to them off the record, i.e. they can report it but not attribute it directly to him.

Because it couldn’t actually be his agent, family, friends, other “sources close to him”?

Because it couldn’t actually be his agent, family, friends, other “sources close to him”?
Well, for a start the media are unlikely to have the phone numbers of his family or friends, nor would they feel they had a license or permission to randomly call his family or friends to gossip about him if they somehow got hold of their numbers, nor would his family or friends likely think they have permission to speak to the media on his behalf if the media did call them. Nor would the media feel confident to put their name on a story saying Cox doesn't want the job based on off the record comments from somebody in the family and friends group alone.

But the media would have his number, would feel they had license to text or call him, will have been texting and calling him and he is obviously a grown man so he can speak to them for himself.

So all in all i think it is far more likely that Cox has told the media that himself rather than it having come from family and friends.

But it's OK because Josh Carr is going to be applying for the job any minute now according to you so let us know when that happens. Or when you have accepted that it is not going to happen and you are wrong. Again.

Well, for a start the media are unlikely to have the phone numbers of his family or friends, nor would they feel they had a license or permission to randomly call his family or friends to gossip about him if they somehow got hold of their numbers, nor would his family or friends likely think they have permission to speak to the media on his behalf if the media did call them. Nor would the media feel confident to put their name on a story saying Cox doesn't want the job based on off the record comments from somebody in the family and friends group alone.

But the media would have his number, would feel they had license to text or call him, will have been texting and calling him and he is obviously a grown man so he can speak to them for himself.

So all in all i think it is far more likely that Cox has told the media that himself rather than it having come from family and friends.

You and your assumptions.

Andrew Embley is a mate who works in the media? He’d have other mates from footy who the media would know? Or that the people at the station who are close to the club (eg Barich, Langdon) would know?

Or his agent?

Based on your assumption, basically any time anyone quotes a “source close to x” it has to be x him or herself giving the quote, because the media apparently just doesnt have the capacity to get hold of anyone else.

But it's OK because Josh Carr is going to be applying for the job any minute now according to you so let us know when that happens. Or when you have accepted that it is not going to happen and you are wrong. Again.

Didn’t say that. Didn’t say anything remotely approaching that. Maybe you just “assumed” I did?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back