Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard a snippet on the radio on the weekend talking about left field possibilities and Adrian Hickmott got a mention.
Along with Sam Mitchell he was highly respected by the players and played big role in player development and the 2018 premiership.
Don't know if his name has been thrown around here but if the coach has a H in his name I think Hickmott sounds better than Hinkley
Hansen, Hickmott, Hart, Harvey, Hayden (Skipworth), Harry (Taylor), Hodge, Heady, Harding, Hams, Hutchings, Hird all > Hinkley

Last edited:
Market adjustment following Carr declaration of no interest:

$2-Graham, Hansen
$3.50-Hinkley
$5-Buckley, Hinkley, Carr
$10-Toddy Nisbett
$12-Schofield, Leppitsch, Gia, Skipworth
$15-The GM bloke from Brisbane
$50-Ross Lyon
$100-Longmire
$500-Cox, Justin Langer, Daisy
$1000-Simmo
$1001-Suma
$2000-Suma

Surprised there isn’t any odds up from some of the betting agencies, the last couple coach vacancies there has been.

Unpopular opinion maybe but I don’t mind the Hinkley possibility. Port fans can’t stand him but part of that seems to be that he’s been there too long in the same way Simmo had here. Think back to what he did with a young group when he started out at Port - certainly seemed to have a strong motivating effect on the group.

By all accounts he’s a very good nurturing coach who is well suited to working with young players but also not afraid to give them a spray when they need it. But there’s definitely a question mark about his tactical side and whether he’s capable of getting the best out of players, when you consider how good Port’s midfield looks on paper
Hinkley isn't comparable to Simpson, Simpson made 2 grand finals as coach in 5 seasons and won a premiership, Hinkley hasn't done anything in 11 seasons soon to be 12. Sacking Simpson to replace him with a dud would be a disaster, but hopefully it's just made up rumours.

Hinkley isn't comparable to Simpson, Simpson made 2 grand finals as coach in 5 seasons and won a premiership, Hinkley hasn't done anything in 11 seasons soon to be 12. Sacking Simpson to replace him with a dud would be a disaster, but hopefully it's just made up rumours.
Ports list over the last decades been good enough to win a flag, made a couple gf’s and more prelims than they have made. Hinkley has several underached with the list he’s had over the years. I’d stop Watching footy if we sack simmo and then go after him

As much as I’m not on the Ken Hinkley train, I’m not sure you can call him a dud his win rate is 60% that’s pretty bloody good for 12 seasons of coaching.

As much as I’m not on the Ken Hinkley train, I’m not sure you can call him a dud his win rate is 60% that’s pretty bloody good for 12 seasons of coaching.

Won 2 of the last 9 finals and has never even made a Grand Final.

He also now holds the record of the most games ever coached with a single club and not making it to a Grand Final.

Would prefer a coach at 50% and jagging a flag and a couple of Grand Finals than 60% and nothing.

Matthew Lloyd writing that he thinks Schofield made a huge mistake taking caretaker role. More to lose than gain.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of truth in this but it would be hard to say know to the opportunity. He is on a hiding to nothing but I reckon the club knows this.
I really like Schofield but I think his senior coaching days will be elsewhere. He has been with Simmo where the standards were so low, there has been no accountability and hence the players don't care or give a rats.
They need a new face who will come in and create a world they have not seen before and they will either sink or swim. Not many will swim. and they will end up without a career in the sport.

F**k know no way we need Hinkley....half of Port hate him and he has achieved nothing...it's about winning flags and he has zero........

far out get rid of Simmo for Hinkley....please...place will riot

Look at a good young assistant I am happy with Burns Graham Hansen Hickmont...etc we don't need an old fart in Hinkley

If you are going for a senior coach looks at bucks or Scott for me

Won 2 of the last 9 finals and has never even made a Grand Final.

He also now holds the record of the most games ever coached with a single club and not making it to a Grand Final.

Would prefer a coach at 50% and jagging a flag and a couple of Grand Finals than 60% and nothing.

I totally agree with you, I don’t think he’s a dud tho, where not playing finals for at least the next 4-5 years so it would probably suit him😂

His record is only around there because Port usually beat the bottom 10 teams under him, but his record against top 4/8 is abysmal, likely why he can't make a grand final. Definitely a dud when he's been given the most ample opportunity/grace period in coaching history and hasn't made a grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't love that several highly rated assistant coaches have publicly come out to say they're not bothering to apply.

Talking about being entrenched at clubs in 2-team states, not wanting to relocate family doesn't strike as all that genuine in an industry as fickle/brutal as the AFL.

We must be in such an unappealing state that they don't want to risk their shot on us. Which is pretty tough to hear when every team that needs a new coach is a basket case essentially.

Don't love that several highly rated assistant coaches have publicly come out to say they're not bothering to apply.

Talking about being entrenched at clubs in 2-team states, not wanting to relocate family doesn't strike as all that genuine in an industry as fickle/brutal as the AFL.

We must be in such an unappealing state that they don't want to risk their shot on us. Which is pretty tough to hear when every team that needs a new coach is a basket case essentially.
Both those coaches are currently senior coaches in waiting for their current clubs and have children going to school in those states. Makes sense they wouldn't be interested, tbh.

Both those coaches are currently senior coaches in waiting for their current clubs and have children going to school in those states. Makes sense they wouldn't be interested, tbh.
There's no formal succession plan at either club, nor is it guaranteed they'll get the role in the future.

I get it, moving kids in school interstate is a rough. But plenty of families do it if the opportunity is good enough - look at Simmo.

I suspect if we were further along in our rebuild, they would jump.

On behalf of the Port Adelaide Bigfooty contingent, I would like to assure you all that Ken Hinkley is a brilliant man with lots of well thought out, practical ideas. He will ensure the success of your football club for years to come. Oh yes, and his personal hygiene is above reproach.

As a fellow member of Port Adelaide BigFooty I concur.

Not one for grand statements but I would likely not be renewing my 20 something year membership if they actually hired Hinkley, all faith I have in the club would be exhausted.

So on the bright side, it would save me money and the inbuilt obligation to ruin my own weekends?

Remember when the board thought this was a team that could potentially play finals a year ago (the club board not the Bigfooty board) :tearsofjoy:

Some of the blokes should seriously get marched on for gross football incompetence.

You'd have to have brass balls to take this list on if you're a first up coach, which is why I'm fine with having a veteran type coach in there instead for now. Someone to right the ship with a fresh set of eyes and who can actually develop players under a modern game style.

On behalf of the Port Adelaide Bigfooty contingent, I would like to assure you all that Ken Hinkley is a brilliant man with lots of well thought out, practical ideas. He will ensure the success of your football club for years to come. Oh yes, and his personal hygiene is above reproach.
As a member of the Port Adelaide BigFooty contingent I'm not so sure about the personal hygiene part.

There's a reason why he's on the boundary.

36-4 lifetime record against the Suns/Roos/Saints.

10-12 record in Showdowns.

Has lost his last 4 knockout finals, all at Adelaide Oval.

That “sixty percent!” refrain peddled by his suckholes in the media will haunt me for life.

If we were looking to win a flag in the next couple of years, then sure, absolute no to Ken.

If the club wants an experienced coach for a few seasons, to build relationships/rapport with young players and help develop them, then I could see where Ken would fit. I never thought I would say that but here we are 🤷‍♂️

The ideal is to find a young, hungry coach, totally committed for the long haul, to grow and develop alongside the playing list or a premiership winning experienced coach willing to rebuild and work towards another tilt at the top. The latter is not exactly in high supply and availability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back