Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would a Cox or a Hinkley or a Hansen come out and say "I want the Eagles job" when they're likely to play finals this year?

"Sorry guys, we're hoping to secure top two/four/eight over the next few weeks, but I'm keen to move to the other side of the country ASAP"

lol

Last edited:
A sick part of me now wants Hinkley after the way the port fans have been begging us to take him. Imagine if he got us over the hump and won the flag…the trolling off the back of that would be elite!!

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Go on, let's see how it turns out

The number 1 goal the board needs to prevent is player mutiny. As far as I'm concerned stuff the fans including bigfooty and membership holders.

The next three years we are guaranteed to lose the fans anyways because we will be lower on ladder with new coach.

I repeat we need to prevent player mutiny

Mutiny, yeah of course we want to avoid that.

But we also need to avoid another 5 years of self-appreciation amongst our players.

We have a lot who are happy with the past, to have won a flag and live off that for the rest of their career.

Allowing standards to drop - both personally and across the organisation is not dissimilar to mutiny, in that the outcome is somewhat the same. And we have been at that level for many years.

The reality is we need to get rid of a number of players, some due to ability (not up to it), some due to effort. And we need some of our younger guys to live by the mantra that hard work beats ability every time (we do have some young talent - the whole club needs to drive them to get the absolute best out of themselves).

If some feathers are ruffled by bringing in a coach who demands the above then we will be all the better for that happening!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Schofield talked about it on the pod today. Said he was the best development coach he's ever had. Said tactically maybe not but was more of a Fagan type coach, who can develop players extremely well, just need to get some more tactical assistants around him.

Guess there's a reason Mitchell took him to Hawks and our development turned to shit around the same time.
So, Hickmott + Dylan82 ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is Hinkley it doesn't matter if he can't win finals - we aren't playing finals till 2028

This is the kinda thing I can see wc doing. KH will coach eagles while getting paid by PA, both organisation's happy. Expectation will be to build list. 4 year deal

Saw a mention for Corey Enright as a candidate. Looked up his coaching history - I like it. History in development.

“Enright joined Geelong's coaching team for the 2017 season, beginning as a development coach before becoming an assistant coach and helping Geelong reach finals in each year of his tenure. Ahead of the 2022 season, Enright joined St Kilda as an assistant coach.”

If it is Hinkley it doesn't matter if he can't win finals - we aren't playing finals till 2028

This is the kinda thing I can see wc doing. KH will coach eagles while getting paid by PA, both organisation's happy. Expectation will be to build list. 4 year deal
Can this happen?

Hinkley coaches us without us paying a cent?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If it is Hinkley it doesn't matter if he can't win finals - we aren't playing finals till 2038

FTFY

I'm always dubious about people that come from setups where they get constant leg ups. There's no doubt Sydney are a well run club that take every advantage that the AFL gives them. I wonder how that affects the coaching of someone like Longmire and the assistants in having access to that talent constantly and never having to rebuild.

Looking at the Cats over their triple premiership era. Well run club took advantage of father sons and good drafting. How many coaches from their setup have gone on to do good things. Bomber Thompson's second stint at a not so well run club gives an insight. How many of those players have gone on to coach?

Compare that with Clarkson era at Hawthorn. A lot of his assistants have gone on to get jobs with varying degrees of success. Had the Franklin setback and became a stronger team after that. That kind of adaptability that we used to enjoy with Simpson comes about because of those things and makes you a better coach.

Not saying adversity is the only thing you need otherwise Mark Neeld come on down... but being a coach is easier when talent is being delivered to you on tap and you have to look at their results at the pointy end to get a clear reflection of where they might be at.

Chris Scott gets perseverance points but he hasn't done as well as I believe he should've with the team and leg ups Geelong get. Does he have that record if he takes over Essendon like his brother. Hence I would be wary of taking coaches that are under their systems as first time coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back