• Hinkley

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 51 34.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Schofield is impressing more than we're aware of? There were those comments the other day that the big wigs at the club have been very impressed and the players look to genuinely have a much harder edge all of a sudden.

Even when we win those 3 games earlier in the year, the way the players went about it wasn't anything like it's been under Schofield. The players are looking to physically bully the oppo players, as evidenced by his comments about them wanting to play on the 'edge'.

It's something I've never noticed under Simmo and it's been genuinely fun to watch.

Maybe Schofield is impressing more than we're aware of? There were those comments the other day that the big wigs at the club have been very impressed and the players look to genuinely have a much harder edge all of a sudden.

Even when we win those 3 games earlier in the year, the way the players went about it wasn't anything like it's been under Schofield. The players are looking to physically bully the oppo players, as evidenced by his comments about them wanting to play on the 'edge'.

It's something I've never noticed under Simmo and it's been genuinely fun to watch.
Yeah it might be a "I withdraw my application" instead of just not getting the job and having that hanging over them next time they apply

I might not have been paying attention, but have we ever heard from so many prospective coaches that they're not interested in a head coach vacancy?

Don't love how many are coming out publicly
Did hear Mitch Cleary say on friday fireball that a lot of former head coaches don’t want to go through the process and just want the job (Lyon and Voss I think we’re mentioned) and assistance coaches are now very wary of their reputation being tarnished when they miss out on a job.

I might not have been paying attention, but have we ever heard from so many prospective coaches that they're not interested in a head coach vacancy?

Don't love how many are coming out publicly

Graham is the first one to say he isn’t interested that comes as a bit of a surprise though

Cox and Carr both are in a position where they’re a better than even chance of being the next coach of their current club. Buckley was always unlikely

It’s a little curious what might have happened in the last week for Graham to have seemingly changed his mind

Have a look at the players after Friday nights win, they were exhausted. Even Darling was blowing like he never has before. They gave their absolute all and that is what’s required at this level.
None of us actually know but it looks as though Schofield has definitely set some non negotiables and it looks like the plays are responding.

Have a look at the players after Friday nights win, they were exhausted. Even Darling was blowing like he never has before. They gave their absolute all and that is what’s required at this level.
None of us actually know but it looks as though Schofield has definitely set some non negotiables and it looks like the plays are responding.

Yep, it's very noticeable from the past few years.

Also in Darling's case, dropping him appears to given him the rocket he desperately needed.

J.Graham out of the race??
Thank God!!
I’m really interested in Scott Selwood.Like the profile.
Not sure on Schoey.
Hasn’t really done anything wrong but these types of situations do tend to distort the true picture.
-Fresh ideas.
-Players playing for their future.
-Interim coach maybe showing his full hand and nothing left for the future.
-Hypotheticals of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham is the first one to say he isn’t interested that comes as a bit of a surprise though

Cox and Carr both are in a position where they’re a better than even chance of being the next coach of their current club. Buckley was always unlikely

It’s a little curious what might have happened in the last week for Graham to have seemingly changed his mind

TBH I don't mind it Keys, as Graham was my least preferred of the so called touted possibilities.

We have no idea who will put their hands up for the gig, as one who had not been mentioned previously in Brendon Lade, has now indicated that he wants to throw his hat in the ring and he has just as good, if not better, a coaching CV as Graham.

I am old school and I would much prefer a hard arsed, uncompromising Coach to get the next turn.

I must say that I have been impressed, with the vigour and effort, that Schofield has instilled into the team since he has been handed the reins.

TBH I don't mind it Keys, as Graham was my least preferred of the so called touted possibilities.

We have no idea who will put their hands up for the jig, as one who had not been mentioned previously in Brendon Lade, has now indicated that he want to throw his hat in the ring and he has just as good, if not better, a coaching CV as Graham.

I am old school and I would much prefer a hard arsed, uncompromising Coach to get the next turn.

I must say that I have been impressed, with the vigour and effort, that Schofield has instilled into the team since he has been handed the reins.

Agreed

I wasn’t big on Graham either. Seems to lack the bit of mongrel I think we need in a prospective head coach.

Also have a suspicion that the club wasn’t entirely unhappy for him to move on in 2021 when he did. No proof of that, just a vibe

Jaymie Graham's not interested any more, he was a week ago tho? I wonder if something has changed behind the scenes?
Smells like reputation preservation mode.
Wasn't a genuine contender so pulled out before the Eagles could eliminate him as a candidate.

Sumich, as an example, failed in so many senior coaching applications that eventually he was damaged goods. I.e. get rejected a couple times and people start wondering if there's a reason for it.

J.Graham out of the race??
Thank God!!
I’m really interested in Scott Selwood.Like the profile.
Not sure on Schoey.
Hasn’t really done anything wrong but these types of situations do tend to distort the true picture.
-Fresh ideas.
-Players playing for their future.
-Interim coach maybe showing his full hand and nothing left for the future.
-Hypotheticals of course.
Not sure I would consider those as negatives in his candidacy.

• Fresh ideas are exactly what we need
  • Players should always play for their future. No more credits in the bank selections, if you're not putting in 100% every week, you aren't playing seniors.
  • I'd be concerned if any head coach is holding back. Show your full hand and adapt over time as necessary.

Not trying to discredit Schofield as a coaching candidate - I’ve loved the hard and combative edge the team has been playing with in recent weeks.

But I would like to see us bring that away from home as well. Whether it’s a coincidence or not, the three games where we’ve brought that new brand (R18 vs Lions, R20 vs Freo, R21 vs GC) have all been at home. The Saints game in between was obviously pretty poor.

Not that we need to win both our remaining away games, but if we can at least bring that toughness and intensity away from home, Schofield gets a big tick from me and moves to the top of the candidates I’d prefer us to choose.

Until then I’m hesitant to go all in on him as a coaching prospect. In saying that though he should definitely be considered as part of the process, as I’m sure he will be.

A big advantage Schofield has (which I admit could also be viewed as a disadvantage) is that he knows the list and the club and doesn’t have to spend a year or more working this out. He appears to have different ideas on players than Simpson and is more willing than Simpson to give untried players a go and drop the veterans.

He is clearly not a Simpson clone and has his own ideas which he would not have been able to implement under Simpson.
He is an experienced and successful head coach at WAFL level.
I knew that he had a hard edge to his personality and coaching but I have been impressed by his ‘soft’ side, or ability to connect with individuals and relate to people in different situations.

I would not be disappointed if he was appointed if he applies.
The team is coming from a long way and it will take time to climb the ladder.

I could get behind some combination of Harry Taylor, Jimmy Bartel and Corey Enright being at the club next year, not necessarily as head coach but in the coaching group / footy department. Between those three and Baker / Graham, getting some IP from the two of the three most recent dynasties would be huge for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back