Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine if we come out inspired and win the next 3 Schofield would be a lock.

I think he's probably favourite unless we get belted looking disinterested like v StK

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we win one more or we simply dont disgrace ourselves for the rest of the year he's a big chance

3 of 3 and means he's beaten Carlton and Geelong in Geelong. He'd get a 10 year contract

Schoey is doing a great job.

Although personally I just don’t like giving the caretaker the gig. Too many have done that, and if I recall correctly too many have failed.

The club must go through the process, if Schoey gets it great. If he doesn’t, and as long as they are honest and keep the conversations transparent then it is no hard feelings so it doesn’t tarnish his next opportunity.

Schoey is doing a great job.

Although personally I just don’t like giving the caretaker the gig. Too many have done that, and if I recall correctly too many have failed.

The club must go through the process, if Schoey gets it great. If he doesn’t, and as long as they are honest and keep the conversations transparent then it is no hard feelings so it doesn’t tarnish his next opportunity.
My thoughts exactly...

I love Schoey has made some real simple but effective changes. I'm usually really against the care taker coach, but I think he would be a decent coach through our rebuild.

My thoughts exactly...

I love Schoey has made some real simple but effective changes. I'm usually really against the care taker coach, but I think he would be a decent coach through our rebuild.

Schofield really hasn’t done anything wrong. Made alot of good moves.

Have to think he has a shot at getting the gif, especially considering the lack of interest in the role so far.

Be weary of the caretaker coach who gets a bounce out of player.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schofield becomes coach, gets us through the hard part of the rebuild and then gets replaced down the track.

The rebuilding coach rarely survives.

Schofield really hasn’t done anything wrong. Made alot of good moves.

Have to think he has a shot at getting the gif, especially considering the lack of interest in the role so far.

Be weary of the caretaker coach who gets a bounce out of player.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schofield becomes coach, gets us through the hard part of the rebuild and then gets replaced down the track.

The rebuilding coach rarely survives.
I feel like that was the point of keeping Simmo on, to take the brunt of the losses to protect the next coach, but they gave up half way. I get that there's other factors and you don't want to lose the fans long term, but it has made the job harder for whoever gets the role full time.

playing Trew alone should get him the gig 😁

Seriously though, getting games into Trew (in the actual midfield) and JW and now HJ, Clay and Dewar have all been positive and good choices.
Getting Ginbey into the backline is another great move.
Even during games you can see subtle changes to adapt that we just haven't been seeing lately.
Then you have the "playing on the edge" mindset that has just toughened up the game we play.

So far he certainly hasn't done his chances any harm. Helps that many of the 1st line candidates have ruled themselves out.

I feel like that was the point of keeping Simmo on, to take the brunt of the losses to protect the next coach, but they gave up half way. I get that there's other factors and you don't want to lose the fans long term, but it has made the job harder for whoever gets the role full time.

The problem simmo had was the players were not buying in. He could no longer demand high standards as it was clear the players were not putting in for him.

So while the idea of simmo doing the hard part of the rebuild may of had merit the reality is the players needed a new voice, new message and some serious wake up calls that simmo simply could not provide.
He had to go.

Agree with this. I think we thought Simmo could take the brunt for the next guy. What we’ve seen is simmo was part of the problem. Great guy, great coach but his message had clearly started to land flat.

If he could have held on to end of next year it would have been great, but it wasn’t to be.

We should maybe consider the next guy to take the job might not be the guy who takes us to our next flag.

Not trying to discredit Schofield as a coaching candidate - I’ve loved the hard and combative edge the team has been playing with in recent weeks.

But I would like to see us bring that away from home as well. Whether it’s a coincidence or not, the three games where we’ve brought that new brand (R18 vs Lions, R20 vs Freo, R21 vs GC) have all been at home. The Saints game in between was obviously pretty poor.

Not that we need to win both our remaining away games, but if we can at least bring that toughness and intensity away from home, Schofield gets a big tick from me and moves to the top of the candidates I’d prefer us to choose.

Until then I’m hesitant to go all in on him as a coaching prospect. In saying that though he should definitely be considered as part of the process, as I’m sure he will be.
Thats true. Only thing I will say about though is no coach in our history has removed those brain fart games away.
Malthouse, Worsfold & Simpson all had strong teams made multiple grand finals but would just not get off the plane for some away games even in other premiership years.
I think a young developing team are going to be lucky to get that kind of output away from Perth.
I watch away games just seeing how long we can stay attached for. I thought we did well against StKilda to remain attached until half time given the weight of numbers against us.
Last thing to come together for our contending teams is consistent away performances.

TLDR if Schofield manages to get a consistent performance away from home in these last couple of games he's well ahead of the curve.

Me personally the way he has turned around the effort and given the younger players roles so that they can be in the game and compete has been great for our development.
And should remain a reason why a coach coaching to survive looks very different to a coach wanting to improve the list.
Which is funny because numerous occasions have shown (Kinglsey & McRrae more recently) that it can happen quickly but you have to commit to it. Not have 1 foot in development and 1 foot trying to stave off the wolves...it doesn't work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Selwood has been mentioned here. Has he completed all the required coaching certificates yet? What has he done to justify a head coach position?
Scott is a highly regarded assistant at Collingwood, and was part of their coaching team in last years premiership.
He's only 34 and has had a great grounding both at WCE and Geelong and could be our 4th 10 year coach.

A big advantage Schofield has (which I admit could also be viewed as a disadvantage) is that he knows the list and the club and doesn’t have to spend a year or more working this out. He appears to have different ideas on players than Simpson and is more willing than Simpson to give untried players a go and drop the veterans.

He is clearly not a Simpson clone and has his own ideas which he would not have been able to implement under Simpson.
He is an experienced and successful head coach at WAFL level.
I knew that he had a hard edge to his personality and coaching but I have been impressed by his ‘soft’ side, or ability to connect with individuals and relate to people in different situations.

I would not be disappointed if he was appointed if he applies.
The team is coming from a long way and it will take time to climb the ladder.

Yeah I'm a junior sport coach and find that when you coach with good coaches they help you raise your baseline but you can also see where their weaknesses are.
Using Simpson as an example and knowing what we know now about Clarko's time at Hawthorn I would say Simpson made it a priority to understand Rioli and who he is as a person to avoid the situations they potentially had to deal with at Hawthorn during those years and probably not being impressed with the way they went about it as a club.

I think Simpson was a great coach so he's obviously helped Schofield prepare for a main role but Schofield seems like he has seen the downside to Simpsons coaching and is looking to turn that around.

My thoughts exactly...

My question will always be, under simmo, was schoey his enabler or the thorn in his side when match committee meetings were arguing?

From the outside it seems knights would've been more in the simmo side of things and schoey the differing voice.

Only the players, CEO and head of footy will know this. If it is that schoey was always in disagreement for the last 2 yrs then that holds him in good stead.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

My question will always be, under simmo, was schoey his enabler or the thorn in his side when match committee meetings were arguing?

From the outside it seems knights would've been more in the simmo side of things and schoey the differing voice.

Only the players, CEO and head of footy will know this. If it is that schoey was always in disagreement for the last 2 yrs then that holds him in good stead.

Might be also why they handed the reins to Scofield instead of Knights, although I imagine they'd have known Knight was leaving for a while.

Last time Simmo couldn't coach, Knights did, from memory.

At least they've given Schofield an audition.

Assistant coaches aren’t on match committee- and that’s for a very good reason. It allows line coaches to develop their relationships with players independent of selection issues.

My sense is the swiftness with which Schofield made changes to particular roles, and also general approach (bringing in kids) indicates some frustration at some of the match committees decisions.

Assistant coaches aren’t on match committee- and that’s for a very good reason. It allows line coaches to develop their relationships with players independent of selection issues.

Not at all sure this is correct.

The info on who is currently on the match committee doesn’t seem to be available, but in previous years it was in the Record and it was typically the coach, the assistants, some but not all of the development coaches, the footy GM and, for some reason, Gepp.

Scott is a highly regarded assistant at Collingwood, and was part of their coaching team in last years premiership.
He's only 34 and has had a great grounding both at WCE and Geelong and could be our 4th 10 year coach.
Has he completed all certificates required yet?

So any assistant that has been in a job the same amount of time would be just as highly regarded yes?
What does highly regarded mean anyway? If you are employed I am guessing you are highly regarded.

Schofield Montgomery Enright Buckley

Any one of those whomever is deemed best candidate after process.

Montgomery probably my favourite atm, think he's what we need.

Schofield Montgomery Enright Buckley

Any one of those whomever is deemed best candidate after process.

Montgomery probably my favourite atm, think he's what we need.
Somebody said somewhere on here that he was apparently locked in to go to Adelaide under Nicks.

Forgot who it was who said it.

My favourite part of our new coach, is that some of that bullshit middle management talk like Synergy is gone.
Just be a direct communicator and tell it how it is, play hard footy, and give the kids a chance.
You can literally feel the confidence in the playing group growing.
Simmo was so ****ing cooked, I’m still in disbelief that so many, particularly on here, could not see that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back