Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. I think both fundamental knowledge and experience are important. There is a good reason why AFL has implemented this 4 levels of coaching course .
I would be very very surprised if Selwood get invited to this job.
So, did Sam mitchel complete that level 4 course in his 4 yrs of being an assistant? I don't know. Is it compulsory?

4 yrs and he became a senior coach.

18 eagles assistant
19-20 Hawks assistant VFL coach
21 Hawks head of development

2022 head coach.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on a quick search, only a handful of current coaches have done that course. And that excludes recent appointees like Sam Mitchell, Craig McRae and Adem Yze.
I’m pretty sure the level 4 accreditation is no longer & the level 3 is on hiatus whilst they redevelop it & launch it later this year. I think level 4 will be relaunched after that.
Brett Montgomery has done his level 4, I think Jarrad has done his level 3. In theory you only need a level 2 to coach an afl team, but in the current climate they look at experience & results. If Schofield gets the job it will have a lot to do with the players opinions & the connection he’s built with them.
Level 4 is a lot about the psychology of players & building relationships rather than x’s & o’s.

So, did Sam mitchel complete that level 4 course in his 4 yrs of being an assistant? I don't know. Is it compulsory?

4 yrs and he became a senior coach.

18 eagles assistant
19-20 Hawks assistant VFL coach
21 Hawks head of development

2022 head coach.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have no idea. I assume the course can be taken without being in a coaching position.

I have no idea. I assume the course can be taken without being in a coaching position.
You can definitely do the accreditation courses as an assistant coach at AFL level but had to apply & be approved for level 4, up to level 3 as a state league assistant & you have to be coaching a team older than year 7 for at least 3 years to complete your level 2 at community level.

This is part of why I dislike Tom Morris. Credit where it’s due, he’s good at getting news on what’s happening but he’s just a slime bucket

It’s clear what Buckley is trying to say - he wasn’t interested in going back to coaching yet so the chat he had with Pyke was more general in nature. That meant that reports he’d “spurned” the eagles were incorrect because he’d never considered it

But thick head Morris wasn’t having that and kept pushing the narrative that Buckley had turned his back on them because that’s the one more likely to get attention

Yep what a disingenuous prick.
Trying to make out it's something that it isn't.

The latest from The West.... (I no longer subscribe but saw this on Apple News). Be interesting to see how many replies they got is their 'survey'.

Overwhelming majority of West Coast Eagles members want Jarrad Schofield as head coach beyond 2024

Jakeb Waddell | West Coast Eagles

Mon, 5 August 2024 7:30PM

An overwhelming majority of West Coast members want caretaker coach Jarrad Schofield to continue leading the side beyond 2024.

It comes as the Eagles continue their search to replace Adam Simpson — who was axed last month after 11 years at the helm — with a number of leading candidates publicly declaring they are not interested in the top job.

A poll conducted by The West Australian shows that 78 per cent of Eagles members want Schofield to remain on as coach beyond the end of this season, with 17 per cent against his appointment and five per cent saying they are unsure.

The interim coach’s stocks were bolstered by a gritty 10-point over Gold Coast on Friday night and a strong showing in the previous week’s western derby.

His comments defending young star Harley Reid’s “tough approach” after he was targeted by players and booed by rival supporters in the Fremantle clash also reportedly made a strong impression inside the four walls.

The most popular reasons for West Coast members voting in favour of Schofield were his proven success in the WAFL — having led Subiaco to five grand finals and three flags — as well as the positive sign since he took over last month, with a number stating he had instilled toughness back into the side.

A number of supporters said there was no better time to give an assistant the senior gig, given the support he would receive from chief executive Don Pyke, who is a former Adelaide coach and Sydney assistant.

Those who did not vote in favour of his full-time appointment mainly stated the club needed a new, external voice if they were serious about their rebuild, while others said it would take more than a single win to prove he is head coach material.

Schofield said after the win against the Suns on Friday he was enjoying his time at the helm and was unsure of his full-time chances.

“When you see all the hard work that the players put in and the smiles on their faces, that’s why you coach,” he said.

“You just love it. I couldn’t be any prouder of the players.

“I said the other day that wins and losses, I don’t know if they will mount up or not in terms of whether I’m endorsed.

“What I do know is it just solidifies why I coach, why I accepted the opportunity to step up as interim.”

Legendary coach and The West expert columnist Mick Malthouse last month backed Schofield to take on the top job as it was clear from his first game against Brisbane the intensity of the team had lifted and he was prepared to make tough calls such as dropping veteran Jack Darling.

“I believe the bravery of Schofield’s decision on Darling, and the competitiveness of his team against last year’s runners-up last week is a big reason for the coaching selection panel to move him up on their list of candidates,” he wrote in The West last month.

“If Schofield can, in this short period of time, get the players to play for him and be highly competitive, then he must come into serious contention. His apprenticeship is complete.”

7NEWS presenter Ryan Daniels wrote in The West on Saturday the caretaker coach had garnered momentum within West Coast and was the club’s best option.

Jarrad Schofield is thriving in the role of the boy next door — doing and saying all the right things — while the eyes of West Coast wander around the league, looking for Mr Right,” Daniels wrote.

Former West Coast player and current Fremantle assistant Jaymie Graham on Sunday became the latest to bow out from the job, following the likes of Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley and assistant Josh Carr, Eagles great Dean Cox and ex-Collingwood leader Nathan Buckley.

It leaves 2006 premiership player and Carlton offensive coach Ashley Hansen and GWS assistant Brett Montgomery as the external frontrunners.

West Coast announced last week they had formed a selection panel for the head coach role, comprising of Pyke, football manager Gavin Bell, director and premiership player Rowan Jones, director Jan Cooper and leadership consultant and Geelong great Harry Taylor.

The Eagles said in a statement they had determined the “key competencies and skills” they were looking for in a head coach and the panel had created a shortlist of candidates to interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waddell’s third article of the year, behind “The people I’m mean to on Twitter were mean back” and “I asked the friend of a friend of the uncle of an Eagles receptionist for dirt, and all I got was this lousy group chat rumour.”

Each a triumph, no doubt.

Not particularly clear how they’d survey exclusively Eagles members, or which Eagles member were contacted, or what the legal implications of saying you definitely shouldn’t send Waddell threats of violence are, or why anyone would care about 7West when the share price is down 40% this year to a new all time low, but here we are.

Maybe it's just made but I noticed a greater amount of comradery amongst younger players over the past week that align with Schofield at the top job.

Ensuring high morale with our youngesters is important
Selection will be interesting. Whether they run with the winning side - injuries excepted.
Let’s see if this youthful exuberance continues.

Maybe it's just made but I noticed a greater amount of comradery amongst younger players over the past week that align with Schofield at the top job.

Ensuring high morale with our youngesters is important
I know AsterixTheGaul has been big on the culture from the young boys, so think this might be an ongoing one for a while now. With so much of the list 21 and under, and us set to hit the draft again, it’s crucial that it keeps up.

I know AsterixTheGaul has been big on the culture from the young boys, so think this might be an ongoing one for a while now. With so much of the list 21 and under, and us set to hit the draft again, it’s crucial that it keeps up.

The camaraderie between the young blokes is one reason why I hope Culley is retained on the list for at least one more year along with Burgiel, Baker and Rawlinson

We’ll have 19 players start 2025 aged 21 or under plus however many we add in this years draft

At some point that group will need to be broken up as it becomes clear which ones won’t make it. But this year with a new coach coming in I hope we don’t start that process until the end of next year

Not at all sure this is correct.

The info on who is currently on the match committee doesn’t seem to be available, but in previous years it was in the Record and it was typically the coach, the assistants, some but not all of the development coaches, the footy GM and, for some reason, Gepp.

Sigh…..

Go watch any press conferences with knights or Schofield.

When asked about selection they all say “that’s not up to me, that’s for selection committee”.

Assistant coaches aren’t on match committee.

Sigh…..

Go watch any press conferences with knights or Schofield.

When asked about selection they all say “that’s not up to me, that’s for selection committee”.

Assistant coaches aren’t on match committee.
Playing devil's advocate, that could mean that there are more voices than just theirs that go into selection.

The latest from The West.... (I no longer subscribe but saw this on Apple News). Be interesting to see how many replies they got is their 'survey'.

Overwhelming majority of West Coast Eagles members want Jarrad Schofield as head coach beyond 2024

Jakeb Waddell | West Coast Eagles

Mon, 5 August 2024 7:30PM

An overwhelming majority of West Coast members want caretaker coach Jarrad Schofield to continue leading the side beyond 2024.

It comes as the Eagles continue their search to replace Adam Simpson — who was axed last month after 11 years at the helm — with a number of leading candidates publicly declaring they are not interested in the top job.

A poll conducted by The West Australian shows that 78 per cent of Eagles members want Schofield to remain on as coach beyond the end of this season, with 17 per cent against his appointment and five per cent saying they are unsure.

The interim coach’s stocks were bolstered by a gritty 10-point over Gold Coast on Friday night and a strong showing in the previous week’s western derby.

His comments defending young star Harley Reid’s “tough approach” after he was targeted by players and booed by rival supporters in the Fremantle clash also reportedly made a strong impression inside the four walls.

The most popular reasons for West Coast members voting in favour of Schofield were his proven success in the WAFL — having led Subiaco to five grand finals and three flags — as well as the positive sign since he took over last month, with a number stating he had instilled toughness back into the side.

A number of supporters said there was no better time to give an assistant the senior gig, given the support he would receive from chief executive Don Pyke, who is a former Adelaide coach and Sydney assistant.

Those who did not vote in favour of his full-time appointment mainly stated the club needed a new, external voice if they were serious about their rebuild, while others said it would take more than a single win to prove he is head coach material.

Schofield said after the win against the Suns on Friday he was enjoying his time at the helm and was unsure of his full-time chances.

“When you see all the hard work that the players put in and the smiles on their faces, that’s why you coach,” he said.

“You just love it. I couldn’t be any prouder of the players.

“I said the other day that wins and losses, I don’t know if they will mount up or not in terms of whether I’m endorsed.

“What I do know is it just solidifies why I coach, why I accepted the opportunity to step up as interim.”

Legendary coach and The West expert columnist Mick Malthouse last month backed Schofield to take on the top job as it was clear from his first game against Brisbane the intensity of the team had lifted and he was prepared to make tough calls such as dropping veteran Jack Darling.

“I believe the bravery of Schofield’s decision on Darling, and the competitiveness of his team against last year’s runners-up last week is a big reason for the coaching selection panel to move him up on their list of candidates,” he wrote in The West last month.

“If Schofield can, in this short period of time, get the players to play for him and be highly competitive, then he must come into serious contention. His apprenticeship is complete.”

7NEWS presenter Ryan Daniels wrote in The West on Saturday the caretaker coach had garnered momentum within West Coast and was the club’s best option.

“Jarrad Schofield is thriving in the role of the boy next door — doing and saying all the right things — while the eyes of West Coast wander around the league, looking for Mr Right,” Daniels wrote.

Former West Coast player and current Fremantle assistant Jaymie Graham on Sunday became the latest to bow out from the job, following the likes of Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley and assistant Josh Carr, Eagles great Dean Cox and ex-Collingwood leader Nathan Buckley.

It leaves 2006 premiership player and Carlton offensive coach Ashley Hansen and GWS assistant Brett Montgomery as the external frontrunners.

West Coast announced last week they had formed a selection panel for the head coach role, comprising of Pyke, football manager Gavin Bell, director and premiership player Rowan Jones, director Jan Cooper and leadership consultant and Geelong great Harry Taylor.

The Eagles said in a statement they had determined the “key competencies and skills” they were looking for in a head coach and the panel had created a shortlist of candidates to interview.
A large swath of Eagles members wanted simmo to stay as well. This is undeniable fact.

Problem is, a lot of Eagles members are made up of senile old grey nomads who would accept mediocrity for 'the love of the club'. Also undeniable fact.

I am not saying Schofield is the wrong guy for a coach but I will say members opinions have been wrong and I wouldnt listen to them.

How does The West ensure only Eagles members vote in this survey?

I can tell you I wasn't contacted for this.
I certainly wasn't consulted, I am a eagles member and also a digital subscriber to the west.
When was the poll taken and by whom and what was the sample size ?
Is this a case of the west trying to influence the selection of the coach.
Don't forget this is the paper that shat on Simmo when he finished and lost a lot of subscribers as a result.
If Schofield gets the job I wonder how long it will be before they turn on him too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back