Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

What, do you think your gonna be finalists next year.?

Who do you think your gonna get to coach next year. It won't be 'Horse'.

But maybe in another 2 seasons time, he might be interested? But you guys need to hit the draft hard and fast.
See yourself out

Or I can assist

Your choice

I'm not sure the job is that daunting. We've got a solid forward line and a solid back line with young talent coming along. Have a generational talent in the midfield. Get a few decent mids and ruck and a better attitude and we could be competitive in a couple of years.

Yeo, Kelly, Sheed, etc are what you call decent mids. We need better mids than them which means we need low draft picks to hopefully find them or trade in better mids than them
Not as easy as you make it sound.

Just putting it out there for the posters saying that people don't want to coach the Eagles coz they're a rabble and it will hurt their future coaching opportunities:

1: AFL coaching is a merry-go-round. We were immediately linked to a recently sacked coach in Buckley. Most would land on their feet elsewhere if they got sacked for stinking it up.

2: When do you think the majority of clubs replace their coach? After just losing a final? Baffling.

If they don't have the guts to go to a club and try and turn it around and put their own stamp on it they're either soft or in the wrong industry.

Just putting it out there for the posters saying that people don't want to coach the Eagles coz they're a rabble and it will hurt their future coaching opportunities:

1: AFL coaching is a merry-go-round. We were immediately linked to a recently sacked coach in Buckley. Most would land on their feet elsewhere if they got sacked for stinking it up.

2: When do you think the majority of clubs replace their coach? After just losing a final? Baffling.

If they don't have the guts to go to a club and try and turn it around and put their own stamp on it they're either soft or in the wrong industry.

In what universe did Buckley stink it up? He was on the wrong side of a 30 second bit of play that could easily of not happened, he could have been a premiership coach.
I reckon it’s harsh on him.

In what universe did Buckley stink it up? He was on the wrong side of a 30 second bit of play that could easily of not happened, he could have been a premiership coach.
I reckon it’s harsh on him.

I wasn't referring to Buckley, but our hypothetical coach that could be with us for a tough few years and get sacked. They'd get a position elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it Bolton at Carlton who was on sort of different contract, made him and easy sacking for them? (Carlton people being sensible and patient of course)

I believe he had tenure, so wasn't strictly on a coaching contract but some other form of employment. I could be wrong.

People also forget that there’s only 18 head coach positions and how rarely they become available. At any point in time there’s usually at least one assistant coach at each club with aspirations to be a senior coach plus a few ex coaches not at clubs who might want another crack

So positions when they do come up are highly sought after and, as you say, are usually at clubs who are struggling

Running through the clubs :

Adelaide
Nicks is currently in his 5th year and is yet to make finals. The crows are on their 6th full time coach since Blight so they’re averaging a new coach every 4 years. It’s quite possibly the next job that’ll open up with a list that’s been stuck in mid to bottom ladder purgatory since their GF loss in 2017

Brisbane
Fagan is contracted to 2027 and is well entrenched. Whilst they’re making finals it’s unlikely that changes anytime soon

Carlton
Michael Voss is the 7th full time coach since 2000. Brett Ratten was the longest tenured coach in that time, coaching 116 games only to be sacked in 2012 after missing finals with a 11-11 W/L record so Carlton could chase Malthouse. It’s a demanding support base and a leadership that will change coach at the drop of a hat. It’s a coaching graveyard

Collingwood
Good job if you can get it and given Macrae’s success there, it isn’t going to need filling anytime soon

Essendon
Sheedy coached there for 27 years. Since he was pushed out in 2007, they’ve had 6 coaches. Worsfold survived for 5 years before the bomber’s coterie groups killed another coaches career. Unstable, no finals success for 2 decades and the 5th longest premiership drought in the AFL

Fremantle
Not a bad job if you’re prepared to coach a club noted for perpetual failure. That said, they’re on the cusp of being a genuine contender for the rest of the decade meaning Longmuir should be safe.

Geelong
They’ve only had two coaches since Y2K was a thing. Chris Scott is the longest serving current coach and isn’t looking like stepping down anytime soon. Anyone saving themselves for that job might be in for a long wait and a competitive field

Gold Coast
Talking of perpetual failure. Hardwick is their 4th coach and if he can’t get them into finals with the list he’s inherited then it’ll be time to fold the club. And he’s contracted to 2028

GWS
Kingsley is settled in just his 2nd year. Doubt that job is coming up anytime soon. When it does it’s a difficult market to coach in

Hawthorn
Sam Mitchell appears to have that job for as long as he wants it for the time being

Melbourne
On the brink of falling back into the abyss that Goodwin dragged them out of. Fickle support base who’s recent premiership was over half a century in the making and the key drivers of that success are all getting old

North Melbourne
Lol Norf

Port Adelaide
Josh Carr is the incumbent once Hinkley jumps or is pushed which is why he’s likely not interested in the Eagles job

Richmond
Yze is in his first year and about to embark on a massive rebuild. If that job comes up soon, it’ll be because he’s failed and they’ll be in a position no better than we are now

St Kilda
See Norf

Sydney
See Port but with Longmire and Cox

Western Bulldogs
The only club where a new coach might inherit a decent list if Beveridge stumbles again this year or next albeit he’s looking good this month. If it does come up soon though, there’ll be significant expectations of success straight away given their current list

To suggest nobody wants the West Coast job is ridiculous and nor is it an unattractive position

Only Geelong have had fewer coaches this century so it’s a secure position and whoever takes it will have a significant honeymoon period given the low expectations that’ll exist initially

It’s also the only position currently available and is no worse than any of the others that might come up next year

But none of the above will stop the media bleating that nobody wants it

How’s this for simple? Give me one example of a coach agreeing to coach for one year.

Other than when they’ve stepped in for someone who’s temporarily unavailable (eg Thompson for Hird when he was suspended).

I’ll bet there’s none.
I agree that a 1 year contract is ludicrous, but Bolton at Carlton took on a job as salary. This meant he had no guaranteed term and could be fired at any time.

It didn't work very well and is not something we'd want to copy.

I agree that a 1 year contract is ludicrous, but Bolton at Carlton took on a job as salary. This meant he had no guaranteed term and could be fired at any time.

It didn't work very well and is not something we'd want to copy.

Wasn't Neil Craig on a similar deal towards the end of his tenure? Could have sworn that Peter Rohde was on a similar arrangement with the dogs.

They're both going back some time now, and there's a reason why.

I can understand saying no to a job but holding out for a better deal is brave. Some guys (most) who are anointed for senior coaching gigs never actually get one. Scott Burns and Suma are two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I recall Brendon Bolton sorta had a 1 year deal in that he had a rolling contract that could be terminated with fixed termination clauses.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think its sufficient precedent to offer Schofield a casual employment contract, rostering him on as needed.

EDIT: Someone beat me to the Bolton precedent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back