Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall Brendon Bolton sorta had a 1 year deal in that he had a rolling contract that could be terminated with fixed termination clauses.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think its sufficient precedent to offer Schofield a casual employment contract, rostering him on as needed.

EDIT: Someone beat me to the Bolton precedent.
The Bolton experiment was also a complete failure. So there’s that?

I recall Brendon Bolton sorta had a 1 year deal in that he had a rolling contract that could be terminated with fixed termination clauses.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think its sufficient precedent to offer Schofield a casual employment contract, rostering him on as needed.

EDIT: Someone beat me to the Bolton precedent.
Sounds like low balling destined for failure.

If you want top performance then remunerate accordingly.

Any prospective coach would be mad to sign up for this. Can’t see Schofield doing it.

West Coast Eagles use Gerald Daniels director Lloyd Smith again to help find next senior coach

Mitchell Woodcock | West Coast Eagles

Wed, 7 August 2024 7:30PM

West Coast have again engaged high-profile Perth consultant Lloyd Smith to help with their search for a new senior coach.

The West Australian can reveal that Smith has been tasked with helping the Eagles find a replacement for Adam Simpson, who parted ways with the club last month after 11 years.

It comes less than 12 months after Smith was part of the process to find a successor for long-time Eagles chief executive officer Trevor Nisbett after more than two decades in the role, before they landed on Don Pyke.

Smith is a director at international executive search and board consulting firm Gerald Daniels and has been used by the Eagles on several occasions including leading an independent review to find a replacement for previous chair Russell Gibbs in 2022.

The West Australian understands Smith will do research and help to identify possible candidates.

He was also involved in the hiring of Simpson in late 2013 after they parted ways with club legend John Worsfold after 281 games and 12 seasons.

The West Australian has previously reported that Smith is believed to have close links to Nisbett, but understands the former CEO has no part in the process to replace Simpson.

Smith is also believed to have recently helped the West Australian Cricket Association find their latest CEO in John Stephenson, who replaced Christina Matthews after she made the decision to step down earlier this year.

On the Gerard Daniels website it’s said that Smith “is passionate about AFL and particularly proud of his association with West Coast Eagles in the appointment of key executive coaching roles”.

Last week, West Coast announced the panel that would decide their next coach which is led by Pyke and includes directors Rowan Jones and Jan Cooper as well as football boss Gavin Bell and dual Geelong premiership star Harry Taylor who is working at the club as a performance leadership consultant.

They also revealed they hoped to have the process finalised next month, but that there was no firm timeline.

Interim coach Jarrad Schofield has become one of the top contenders to take the role full-time after leading West Coast to their fourth win of the season with a 10-point win over Gold Coast at Optus Stadium on Friday night.

Fellow former Eagle Ash Hansen — who is a senior assistant at Carlton — Greater Western Sydney backline coach Brett Montgomery as well as Daniel Giansiracusa (Essendon) and Hayden Skipworth (Collingwood) are other contenders.

It comes after several candidates ruled themselves out of the race including club great and early favourite Dean Cox, who has chosen to stay in Sydney where he is the senior assistant.

Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley ruled himself out of the race last week after a conversation with Pyke, while Fremantle assistant Jaymie Graham said he would not be part of the process at the weekend.

It comes less than 12 months after Smith was part of the process to find a successor for long-time Eagles chief executive officer Trevor Nisbett after more than two decades in the role, before they landed on Don Pyke.

Really earnt his money on that one! There were mouth breathers on here recommending Pyke 2 years before that.

Really earnt his money on that one! There were mouth breathers on here recommending Pyke 2 years before that.

Not to mention the extensive search to find the next chairman to take over from Gibbs that settled on … the bloke that was deputy chair.

I’ll give him Simpson in 2013 though, that was a bit less expected.

As an opposition supporter the number 1 coach I’d be worried seeing coaching WC next year & beyond is Justin Leppitsch. I rate him highly & he comes from successful programs, has experience coaching (& playing) an interstate club so has an understanding of the issues involved with that position.

As an opposition supporter the number 1 coach I’d be worried seeing coaching WC next year & beyond is Justin Leppitsch. I rate him highly & he comes from successful programs, has experience coaching (& playing) an interstate club so has an understanding of the issues involved with that position.
Tigers fans also rate him very highly, seen plenty of the “Sam Mitchell won us the flag” talking points regarding Leppitsch and Hardwick.

Makes me laugh that no head coach ever had a hand in anything according to the club boards, but I digress.

Each time I hear Jarrad Schofield do a press conference, he sounds more and more like a good option to take over full time.

The West are definitely pushing Schofield’s case quite hard. Multiple puff pieces on him over the past few days. Not sure who is behind this - maybe Quarters based on what I’ve heard on his podcast.

I don’t mind, as long as the interview process is thorough. The mistake that Carlton (Teague) and North (Shaw) made is that they didn’t have a proper process before the caretakers got the permanent gig - if my memory serves me correctly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure why we have had to bring in an external person to help appoint a coach, ffs this is a football club. If we don't have the people within our club that can appoint a coach then I really have to ask is this really a football club.

What a waste of money.
It's a safeguard against institutional bias mate. Look at Essendon - the coterie by all accounts has outsized influence on governance and, particularly, coaching choices. Look how that's gone.

It's a safeguard against institutional bias mate. Look at Essendon - the coterie by all accounts has outsized influence on governance and, particularly, coaching choices. Look how that's gone.
Hoping our external helper doesn't appoint himself as head coach though.

I am not sure why we have had to bring in an external person to help appoint a coach, ffs this is a football club. If we don't have the people within our club that can appoint a coach then I really have to ask is this really a football club.

What a waste of money.

Most large organisations hire external consultants to assist with hiring senior leadership positions.
Not that out of the ordinary champ.

Yes for roles such as a CEO not for a bloody football coach. The world has gone nuts.
He was involved in the process that appointed Simmo.

If you're hiring for a role where you you're going to pay someone upwards of $1M P.A., probably doesn't hurt to have an external consultant to ensure you aren't making decisions on personal biases.

It's not East Perth looking for a new coach, it's the biggest sporting club in the country.

He was involved in the process that appointed Simmo.

If you're hiring for a role where you you're going to pay someone upwards of $1M P.A., probably doesn't hurt to have an external consultant to ensure you aren't making decisions on personal biases.

It's not East Perth looking for a new coach, it's the biggest sporting club in the country.

Well I think thats what we have a high paid CEO to oversee. Anyway it is what it is.

The club has more money than God and is artificially limited in what they can spend on actual footy.

I’d rather they splash some of that cash on a consultant to help bring in our next dynasty coach, than on more pre-game fireworks.

The club has more money than God and is artificially limited in what they can spend on actual footy.

I’d rather they splash some of that cash on a consultant to help bring in our next dynasty coach, than on more pre-game fireworks.

Yet they wouldn't spend it to get rid of Simmo??

What a waste of money.

... and being that we are such a poor club and all

Make It Rain Money GIF by yvngswag

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back