Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like if Schoey gets the job Trew will stay on. Also feel like they’ll try and bulk him up so he is better suited to play that inside role that he’s suited to play. Listened to an old Greg Clark interview and he was saying how when he got to subi after being undrafted they turned him from a winger to an inside bull and how they got him in the gym. Simmo then went an undid that all again.

Feel like if Schoey gets the job Trew will stay on. Also feel like they’ll try and bulk him up so he is better suited to play that inside role that he’s suited to play. Listened to an old Greg Clark interview and he was saying how when he got to subi after being undrafted they turned him from a winger to an inside bull and how they got him in the gym. Simmo then went an undid that all again.
yer nah, WAFL and AFL are light years apart

I actually don’t really care if Trew stays or goes tbf but thats the gist I get. I think Trews best asset his hands and his work at stoppages but he just isn’t big or strong to play that role.

On clarke didn’t really care when he got cut but also he never got the crack as an inside mid either.

Talent, speed and how the game is played is light years apart but coaching is coaching.
Outside of the media requirements and the fan spotlight I can’t think of anything an AFL coach is required to do that a WAFL coach is not required to do.
In fact maybe AFL coaching is easier as there is so much help that is not there at the WAFL.
Coaching is coaching.

Schofield's playing the long game. He brought Trew back in the week after he punched Schofield's son in the guts in the WAFL. He's getting him comfortable and expectations for a contract extension up then... BAM! Delisted.

Talent, speed and how the game is played is light years apart but coaching is coaching.
Outside of the media requirements and the fan spotlight I can’t think of anything an AFL coach is required to do that a WAFL coach is not required to do.
In fact maybe AFL coaching is easier as there is so much help that is not there at the WAFL.
Coaching is coaching.
My comments related to the named players not coaching but I like your point.

Schofield's playing the long game. He brought Trew back in the week after he punched Schofield's son in the guts in the WAFL. He's getting him comfortable and expectations for a contract extension up then... BAM! Delisted.
That’s the kinda ruthlessness I like to see in a coach. Winning me over.

Last edited:
I rather look elsewhere but I also wouldn’t mind schoey either. I’m in the camp the next coach won’t see the club being a contender. They just have to build the list up to where it’s heading in the right direction.

That’s such a weak minded attitude that is for pissant clubs.

When we hire a new coach, we should see them as our next premiership coach.

That’s such a weak minded attitude that is for pissant clubs.

When we hire a new coach, we should see them as our next premiership coach.
I just don’t see this list being good enough to rise up quickly tbf. Even now its basically our seniors doing all the heavy lifting and most of these guys are on the other side of 30. There’s only two guys around 25 that look elite but thats no where enough.

I just don’t see this list being good enough to rise up quickly tbf. Even now its basically our seniors doing all the heavy lifting and most of these guys are on the other side of 30. There’s only two guys around 25 that look elite but thats no where enough.

Bruh, the whole idea of a rebuild is that you rebuild with a comprehensive plan to create a premiership winning squad & game style and as such, you draft accordingly. Atleast, that's what the the powerhouse clubs do.

Perhaps, loser clubs like Freo rebuild to just replace players but we don't know and quite frankly, we don't want to know.

Everyone said the same about Hawthorn up until round 5 this year.

Thing is, players respond differently under different coaches and different coaching philosophies can really player to certain players' strengths.

I think Schofield is a very worthy candidate and the 2 wins aren't a sugar-hit IMO. We've been behind in positions we had no right to come back from and he's not only tactically been able to make changes, he's motivated the players to believe they can do it also.

Huge tick for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Schofield is a very worthy candidate and the 2 wins aren't a sugar-hit IMO. We've been behind in positions we had no right to come back from and he's not only tactically been able to make changes, he's motivated the players to believe they can do it also.

Huge tick for me.

Excellent point.

Schofield re-instilling that winning belief has been super important. Especially after the last few seasons, where it seemed that the 'it's ok to lose' mentality was seeping into this playing group.

IMG_0376.jpeg

I don’t think it should negatively impact his candidacy - a flag is a flag, multiple flags is impressive no matter what and his record over the journey speaks for itself - but I will say I do think you could have plucked more or less anyone to coach Subiaco to a flag for a few years there, such was the gulf in financial strength. Come back to earth mightily since the AFL clubs moved to Optus.

View attachment 2076684

I don’t think it should negatively impact his candidacy - a flag is a flag, multiple flags is impressive no matter what and his record over the journey speaks for itself - but I will say I do think you could have plucked more or less anyone to coach Subiaco to a flag for a few years there, such was the gulf in financial strength. Come back to earth mightily since the AFL clubs moved to Optus.

Colts Subiaco coach in his third year took them to a GF after finishing last previous year , pretty good sign that the system in place was good and the coaching achieved results .

View attachment 2076684

It’s difficult to read your post other than as a minimisation or downgrading of Schofield’s WAFL coaching achievements.

You are more or less saying a drover’s dog could have coached Subiaco to premierships in the period in question.
It is good to have the context underlying his coaching record but I don’t think I agree completely with your conclusion.

Certainly Schofield walked into a favourable setup but people can still have favourable circumstances and stuff things up..
It appears that Schofield made the most of the club’s advantages and strengthened them. Five grand finals and three flags in six years is a good achievement in any one’s language.

I am impressed with what I am seeing Schofield doing with this team. We have been a laughing stock of the competition for the last three years and probably rightly so. There have been so many insipid performances that I don’t care to remember them. I used to watch replays of games but I haven’t done that for three years.

I am very glad that Simpson is no longer coaching. He appeared wedded to the 2018 team and had no idea how to rejuvenate the list and the team. Only sentiment and money kept him in the position.
The results were appalling with no clear hope of improvement.

Schofield clearly had his own ideas and approach which were not being implemented because he was in a position where he had to carry out someone else’s plan and instructions.

The results he is getting speak for themselves, on the weekend under the previous regime the team would have laid down and been put to the sword.

I am aware of the dead cat bounce phenomenon and the false dawn under interim coaches but sometimes retaining the interim coach is the best way to go. Paul Roos is a classic example not that I am saying Schofield will necessarily replicate Roos’ success.

I see the team in a very delicate position atm. An inappropriate and/or inexperienced head coach could easily set things back.

Schofield has been through the scarring and horror of the last three years. He knows the players and is maybe the man best equipped to take us out.

People who know a lot more than me will make this decision which will either setup success or further pain over the next 5 to 10 years.

It’s difficult to read your post other than as a minimisation or downgrading of Schofield’s WAFL coaching achievements.

You are more or less saying a drover’s dog could have coached Subiaco to premierships in the period in question.
It is good to have the context underlying his coaching record but I don’t think I agree completely with your conclusion.

Certainly Schofield walked into a favourable setup but people can still have favourable circumstances and stuff things up..
It appears that Schofield made the most of the club’s advantages and strengthened them. Five grand finals and three flags in six years is a good achievement in any one’s language.

I am impressed with what I am seeing Schofield doing with this team. We have been a laughing stock of the competition for the last three years and probably rightly so. There have been so many insipid performances that I don’t care to remember them. I used to watch replays of games but I haven’t done that for three years.

I am very glad that Simpson is no longer coaching. He appeared wedded to the 2018 team and had no idea how to rejuvenate the list and the team. Only sentiment and money kept him in the position.

Schofield clearly had his own ideas and approach which were not being implemented because he was in a position where he had to carry out someone else’s plan and instructions.

The results he is getting speak for themselves, on the weekend under the previous regime the team would have laid down and been put to the sword.

I am aware of the dead cat bounce phenomenon and the false dawn under interim coaches but sometimes retaining the interim coach is the best way to go. Paul Roos is a classic example not that I am saying Schofield will necessarily replicate Roos’ success.

I see the team in a very delicate position atm. An inappropriate and/or inexperienced head coach could easily set things back.

Schofield has been through the scarring and horror of the last three years. He knows the players and is maybe the man best equipped to take us out.

People who know a lot more than me will make this decision which will either setup success or further pain over the next 5 to 10 years.
Before Paul Roos Sydney were a basket case just to add .

I think the concerns over the incumbent taking on the role are legit but look at who the incumbents were before applying the same thought process to Schofield.

None of them had the experience Schofield has, nor the maturity to lead a young group out of the mire.

Whoever gets this role it's going to be a tough road for the next couple of years. Which is why I don't think we should of wasted this year with Simmo, we know why we did (Money) but the only thing we have achieved this year is we may of found a new coach with Schofield. There may however be much better options which I am hoping the club looks at and makes a good decision on.
I always said that the rebuild had not started under Simmo, it certainly has now though under Schofield as he has set some standards and invested in the players strengths. He has done this in a very short period.
Not sure what Simmo was doing, but it seems now he was just going through the motions sadly.
But it's a long journey and a quick bounce back up the top is unlikely, not impossible but unlikely.
I was all for getting a seasoned coach like Chris Scott or Buckley but now it looks as though it will be an assistant coach who gets the opportunity and I don't see anyone more qualified than Schofield, in fact he is miles ahead of the other contenders on his resume.

I thought I saw something saying that the coaching position would be sorted by the end of September. Does this have any bearing on who might be applying for the role? I'd be surprised if teams in finals had their coaches do interviews at the same time

Eade took them to the 1996 grand final and to the finals in four of the next five years, before getting sacked midway through a poor 2002z

Yeah but the vibe was basket caseyish adjacent esque.

I thought I saw something saying that the coaching position would be sorted by the end of September. Does this have any bearing on who might be applying for the role? I'd be surprised if teams in finals had their coaches do interviews at the same time

If WCE beat Carlton it will be sorted by the end of August..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back