Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The conclusion we can draw from what we’ve season of Schofield so far is that he would be capable of doing the job full time. And that despite knowing what the challenges will be if he does land the job, he has a healthy desire to take it on

So at a minimum we’ve got a suitable candidate

It remains to be seen though if he’s the best candidate and the club hopefully does it due diligence on the other potential coaches to make sure the right decision is made

Surely with all of Carlton’s injuries we are a chance this week?

Well I’m keeping it low key till we see the team lists but being Gaffy’s last game and Wce last Home game the boys should be up and about this week ..Carlton do have good support in Perth so maybe a loud crowd as well ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just don’t see this list being good enough to rise up quickly tbf. Even now its basically our seniors doing all the heavy lifting and most of these guys are on the other side of 30. There’s only two guys around 25 that look elite but thats no where enough.

We are lacking in that age bracket but it’s not the be all and end all for the next coach to be a Premiership coach.

people taking way too much out of a few games to end the season. Winning a few games doesnt mean hes the best for the job.

There is more to the coaching role than that.

Id be incredibly disappointed if his win/loss record had significant impact on him getting the job

people taking way too much out of a few games to end the season. Winning a few games doesnt mean hes the best for the job.

Id be incredibly disappointed if his win/loss record had significant impact on him getting the job
I’m largely in agreement here, and desperately keen to not wanting to be the latest club that falls for the caretaker bounce, but in fairness to Schofield all you can do when thrust in the role is show some vision (see: Ginbey HBF) and some buy in (see: 3.5 of the 5 games in charge).

I’ve been reasonably vocal that I’d rather a fresh voice from the outside, but Schofield has pretty much nailed the elements that he can control. If he somehow finishes with a 4-3 record that would mean we’ve beaten Carlton and Geelong in Geelong, both of whom have everything on the line. It certainly won’t happen. But I’m pretty sure at that point, his win loss would all but land him the gig.

I’m largely in agreement here, and desperately keen to not wanting to be the latest club that falls for the caretaker bounce, but in fairness to Schofield all you can do when thrust in the role is show some vision (see: Ginbey HBF) and some buy in (see: 3.5 of the 5 games in charge).

I’ve been reasonably vocal that I’d rather a fresh voice from the outside, but Schofield has pretty much nailed the elements that he can control. If he somehow finishes with a 4-3 record that would mean we’ve beaten Carlton and Geelong in Geelong, both of whom have everything on the line. It certainly won’t happen. But I’m pretty sure at that point, his win loss would all but land him the gig.
He has to prove he has a modern gameplan that will take us to a premiership too. Getting the boys up on game day isnt the only part of his job that matters

If thats all your prepared to offer then it will be Schofield.

I just cant see a Coach moving over from the East and having all the pieces to set up, with moving a young family, for a stingy two year contract, with KPI triggers.

Given where our list currently sits in its development and state of refresh, a new Coach will need more than two years to turn the teams fortunes around.

Two years time the list will be with out most of: TB, Barrass, Yeo, Kelly, Ryan, Darling, Sheed, Hunt and Cripps.

We are still in for another two seasons hovering around the bottom half of the ladder, PLUS, we will then have Tasmania pillaging the draft cohort.

And to complicate things further we are anything but a destination Club, so attracting quality out of contract players to us is going to be near impossible.

Our genuine rise up the ladder, transitioning into a side knocking on the door of the eight, is still 5 years away.
That offer was specifically for Schofield.

He has to prove he has a modern gameplan that will take us to a premiership too. Getting the boys up on game day isnt the only part of his job that matters

All clubs are endeavoring to play a very similar game plan, don't get to caught out on game plans. the good sides can play them and the poor sides can't.
Like we want to play the Hawks game plan but our skills are not good enough and we are not fit enough. Sydney play the same plan as do Brisbane. There is minor tweeks of course to all of it.
But the modern game is the sydney/Hawthorn/Brisbane plan. Thats modern footy and all coaches wnat their team to play it, they just can't though.

And until we see who the candidates are then we are all just guessing.
If it is just Hanson, Montgomerey, Schofield and a couple of other assistants then the club will do the process and the best candidate will get it.

Under Simpson, the players and fan base had been conditioned to accept 6-goal losses as perfectly acceptable if we’d achieved “small wins”.

Now we’re talking about actually winning games of football. I’m very glad about that.

This might come off as being a pessimist or Simmo apologist, but with the disparity in disposals and inside 50s, losing by 6 goals to North last Saturday would have been expected.

The efficiency inside 50 was something like 43% vs 71%. That's how we snuck home. It's not sustainable.

But - in any event - there is no doubt the team actually seems to put in a shift. As every fan would probably say, we can deal with losses with a young and rebuilding group as long as they are seen to be giving it a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might come off as being a pessimist or Simmo apologist, but with the disparity in disposals and inside 50s, losing by 6 goals to North last Saturday would have been expected.

The efficiency inside 50 was something like 43% vs 71%. That's how we snuck home. It's not sustainable.

But - in any event - there is no doubt the team actually seems to put in a shift. As every fan would probably say, we can deal with losses with a young and rebuilding group as long as they are seen to be giving it a go.

Our consistency of effort is still really poor.

OK first quarter. Fell off a cliff after the first 5-10 minutes of the second quarter until about 5 minutes to go in the third. Put in a massive shift in the 4th.

On the positive side Schofield seems to have been able to address this in game, which is something Simmo hasn't been able to do since 2018. Even when we were winning a chunk of games we would either be "on" and win comfortably or be "off" and play with total apathy.

A game plan like Simpson’s ‘win the contest’ - nothing terribly complex or difficult about that.

Schofield seems to be a much better and more flexible game day coach than our last two coaches at least.

He also seems to have pre game plans for the opposition which weren’t evident previously if they did exist.

‘Getting to a premiership’ - that’s very ambitious from the low base that we are starting from.
Surely, we just have to become more consistently competitive, develop recruits, and win a few games before we start thinking about premierships. A baby has to crawl before it walks etc.

Contesting for finals in the next three years might be a reasonable goal. We are a long way from a premiership.
I know winning a premiership is the ultimate goal but we are a long, long way from that.

Developing a credible list and a credible game precede any thought about premierships.

Do we do the team thing and try to win?

Or do we do the meme thing and try and f*ck Freo over?

We are trying to build a culture from the bottom, we need to worry solely about that and do our absolute best this week and hopefully get another win or at the very least perform well again.

The concerns around caretaker coach 'sugarhits' are genuine in general.

But what seems to be getting lost in my opinion is that in the hypothetical where Schofield isn't coaching us right now, with his record and experience he would still be one of the top contenders. 3 times WAFL premiership coach and now an assistant for 6 seasons.

That's a stronger on paper resume than the other contenders and I would be confident its a stronger on paper resume than the other interim coaches who ended up getting the gig.

I am not saying we should just hand him the keys. But if he ends up on top at the end of the process it can't be assumed it was his time as interim coach which got him the gig (which I have no doubt the AFL media will just assume).

That can't be proven in a care-taker role with 6 games left in a season. There simply isnt time to change a game plan in that short a timeframe
He will be in the same boat as the other candidates when it comes to game plan in that he will need to outline it in his interview.
What we do know is that his brand of footy is a tough contested brand that we have seen in patches the past few weeks and which netted Subi some flags. It seems to be a brand that stands up in AFL finals as well. He has also shown some good game day nous as well I think. In particular rearranging the backline against Gold Coast when we were down to 1 key defender and both their Key Forwards had started off on fire.
He has shown real potential in the time he has had, in both game day adaptability/moves and brand of footy irrespective of the W-L stat.
I don't think he is a shoe in and happy for all candidates to be looked at but from the little I've seen I have been impressed and would not be unhappy if he is coaching us next year. I would not have said that 4 weeks ago when he was first appointed.

Whilst Schofield may have the capacity to coach, I'm still not sold and very wary of the interim coach, i'm very much of the opinion we need a fresh face, but will back in the club with whatever decision they make.

Our two wins have been against Gold Coast who hadn't won away all season and North Melbourne in a game where we got smashed in every stat across the board and they're not exactly an amazing team, i would of had us as a chance against them with Simmo still on board. I admire the job he is doing and things he has put in place, but at the moment, whilst he has the buy in from the players he has had shown no evidence of a game plan other than bombing it long and winning individual contests which isn't sustainable (I understand thus will take time, but its something he should have to sell to the committee not just get the job as we have won a couple games)

We may even win against Carlton at home with the amount injuries they had but got to put it all in perspective, he needs to go through the process and convince the board, if and when he does that i will give him my full support.

That can't be proven in a care-taker role with 6 games left in a season. There simply isnt time to change a game plan in that short a timeframe
He will be in the same boat as the other candidates when it comes to game plan in that he will need to outline it in his interview.
What we do know is that his brand of footy is a tough contested brand that we have seen in patches the past few weeks and which netted Subi some flags. It seems to be a brand that stands up in AFL finals as well. He has also shown some good game day nous as well I think. In particular rearranging the backline against Gold Coast when we were down to 1 key defender and both their Key Forwards had started off on fire.
He has shown real potential in the time he has had, in both game day adaptability/moves and brand of footy irrespective of the W-L stat.
I don't think he is a shoe in and happy for all candidates to be looked at but from the little I've seen I have been impressed and would not be unhappy if he is coaching us next year. I would not have said that 4 weeks ago when he was first appointed.

Strongly agree with this. Schofield will have to bring his vision of the team, short and medium term, to the table.

What we are currently seeing is the Simpson gameplan with Schofield's take on which players should be in which roles and "the levers" in the settings he thinks are best. Underpinning that I think we can see a different level of value being placed on the various KPI's that coaches refer to.

Schofield's biggest strike against him is that he has been here for the past few seasons of disaster. How he navigated that time and how he navigates expressing his vision for the future will be the critical things when weighing him against the external candidates. His CV is otherwise pretty compelling.

I'd like to know for sure what influence each line coach actually has on the way the players play.

Did Simpson have his entirely own gameplan, who plays what position, who rotates through the positions etc?

Coz if so that's fine, I have little apprehension about Schofield's application for the top job - assuming he was simply just a medium to convey Simpson's messages and tactics and that's it. Then he'd be bringing his own ideas to the above next preseason in regards to gameplan and player management.

But if he was deciding on those more specific parts and contributing more than just a suggestion here abd there then I'd be a bit concerned. Coz we stink/stank.

Unless you're Tim Gepp you can't answer this question with 100% certainty.

I'd like to know for sure what influence each line coach actually has on the way the players play.

Did Simpson have his entirely own gameplan, who plays what position, who rotates through the positions etc?

Coz if so that's fine, I have little apprehension about Schofield's application for the top job - assuming he was simply just a medium to convey Simpson's messages and tactics and that's it. Then he'd be bringing his own ideas to the above next preseason in regards to gameplan and player management.

But if he was deciding on those more specific parts and contributing more than just a suggestion here abd there then I'd be a bit concerned. Coz we stink/stank.

Unless you're Tim Gepp you can't answer this question with 100% certainty.
I'm not Tim Gepp(I promise) but the way Schofield's shifted players around right from the start would indicate he obviously had strong thoughts about certain players that weren't shared by Simmo, so he obviously sees the players in a very different light than he did.

I'm not Tim Gepp(I promise) but the way Schofield's shifted players around right from the start would indicate he obviously had strong thoughts about certain players that weren't shared by Simmo, so he obviously sees the players in a very different light than he did.

Outside of Ginbey back, what others have you noticed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back