Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Trew swap with Chesser isn't a huge call.
HJ was playing half back in the WAFL for a while I'm pretty sure.
JWilliams isn't a huge call either.
Duggan just swapped with Ginbey. Big call? Maybe, but it's 1 call not 2 calls. Duggan was already a contributor in the midfield at stages anyway.
Swapped Hunt and Cole. Hunt played at half back early in the season but it's a change.
Maric was wing under Simmo.

So it's 2 position swaps and dropping Chesser for Trew. A little more priority on the kids as he's not coaching to save his career too.

Idk he hasn't changed a whole lot tactically for me
Most of those things weren't happening under Simpson, big call or not.

Trew wasn't getting a game, no matter what he did, until once when he played HF and was dropped the next week, for one and there's zero chance Simpson would've ever dropped Darling, which ended up being good for him in the end.

Can't really change too much tactically but he's just come off 2 games where he's outcoached the 2 best coaches of the modern era to come from behind wins, who both have significantly more talented teams, despite their ladder positions.

That in itself is worthy of praise.

Trew wasn't getting a game, no matter what he did, until once when he played HF and was dropped the next week, for one and there's zero chance Simpson would've ever dropped Darling, which ended up being good for him in the end.

Can't really change too much tactically but he's just come off 2 games where he's outcoached the 2 best coaches of the modern era to come from behind wins, who both have significantly more talented teams, despite their ladder positions.

Yeah that dude seems to have a thing against Jarrad for some reason.its starting to get a bit like a Monty Python skit - I mean what has Jarrad Schofield ever done for us, apart from dropping Darling, bringing in Trew, Ginbey playing back etc etc 😂

Not to mention, he was robbed of winning 5 flags in a row. The 2 grand finals he lost were both to Peel who had something like 15 Fremantle players playing on grand final day.

And if that's not enough, his last season at Subiaco was an undefeated premiership.

The bloke can coach.
If you're gonna pot Peel for having an advantage re: Freo-listed players, you have to acknowledge the financial leg-up he had as coach at the time of Subi.

Yeah that dude seems to have a thing against Jarrad for some reason.
I think it's more just being wary of having a caretaker take over, which is a reasonable position based off of history.

Schofield himself bucks the trend of interim coaches being appointed to senior coach though, as he's way more experienced.

They discussed this at the end of AFL daily today, where Schmook said exactly that.

Basically, he said that the previous few interim coaches weren't senior assistants but were rather more 'juniors' who were offered the opportunity to coach the team and probably took it on prematurely. This seems true, with the case of Teague & Shaw especially.

Ratten was prematurely sacked at Carlton IMO and getting shafted again at St Kilda appears yet another piss poor decision from that club also. He's simply been unlucky to be appointed by 2 shit clubs who have NFI and come in at a time where they lacked talent, is where I see his stints.

Schofield's different, as he's been a senior assistant at 2 clubs and was a highly successful state-level coach, which also included colts, so he clearly knows how to develop young players.

He's also been a premiership player himself, so understands what's required from a player's perspective.

The only one of the remaining candidates that's comparable to him would be Hansen, who holds a similar CV, less the junior coaching(as far as I'm aware).

If you're gonna pot Peel for having an advantage re: Freo-listed players, you have to acknowledge the financial leg-up he had as coach at the time of Subi.
I don't follow the WAFL closely enough to know specifics, but I do remember there being talk of Subi pushing the boundaries with player payments.

That's a bit different to dropping around half your side that did the hard work to get you into finals and replacing them with AFL listed players. It was farcical.

I don't follow the WAFL closely enough to know specifics, but I do remember there being talk of Subi pushing the boundaries with player payments.

That's a bit different to dropping around half your side that did the hard work to get you into finals and replacing them with AFL listed players. It was farcical.

Well unfortunately those were the rules for the WAFL then set by the WAFC. Those qualification rules have not changed much except you must play 3 of the last 5 games for the WAFL club to qualify now.

Duggan just swapped with Ginbey. Big call? Maybe, but it's 1 call not 2 calls. Duggan was already a contributor in the midfield at stages anyway.
Swapped Hunt and Cole. Hunt played at half back early in the season but it's a change.

So it's 2 position swaps and dropping Chesser for Trew. A little more priority on the kids as he's not coaching to save his career too.

High pressure was a trait of Schofield's premiership-winning Subiaco teams, and it has been the biggest shift in the Eagles' game since he took over from Adam Simpson before round 18.

The team had an average pressure rating of 174 (No.17 in the AFL) under Simpson this season, but that has since lifted to 183 (No.8) under Schofield and delivered three competitive performances in a month and snapped a nine-game losing run.

Is it out-coaching? Or is the team just getting up for a couple of games with some motivation?

Yeah that dude seems to have a thing against Jarrad for some reason.its starting to get a bit like a Monty Python skit - I mean what has Jarrad Schofield ever done for us, apart from dropping Darling, bringing in Trew, Ginbey playing back etc etc 😂
I have nothing against him. I'm pretty happy with what he's done.

I'm just not going to say I think he's the guy for the future yet because I have no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it out-coaching? Or is the team just getting up for a couple of games with some motivation?

What motivation?

Also, why do people on this board always try to do everything they can to not credit the head coach for any kind of success, no matter how small?

I'm not so fussed with talking gameplan at this stage. Its imperative that the next coach be able to develop young players whilst providing an opportunity for senior players to lead and contribute to the team going forward.

Using what Mitchell has done at Hawthorn he had them playing tough footy as a young group that lead to them getting belted a lot. But watching them play you couldn't fault the effort and they would drop away as the game went on.

So develop the players find their strengths and weaknesses. Build a system around those key components and plug gaps where you find them and as they arise with senior players retiring. This is a 2 -3 year job and is likely going to use all of the next coaches first contract to go through.

Then with that next contract you need to ask: is he the guy going forward?

The role might need 2 separate coaches to get us back as those that are good at development might not have what it takes to reach the highs. Those good at extracting every last bit of talent from a list to push to the top are not always going to have the patience for development. Sam Mitchell might be the coaching unicorn in this regard will be interesting to see. As it would be difficult to know when to make the switch and push as I believe there is a backward step once you do make that switch and can you survive it?

Gavin Bell on radio today saying that whilst they love what Schofield's done, they still want to go through the full process so they can find the best coach.

Obviously a bit of a fluff statement but at least he seemed very firm on it when saying it.

And rightly so.

Got to do your full due diligence and a thorough search.

Leave no stone unturned.

Not sure why people keep bringing up AA Selection like it means anything. It's a popularity contest that has very little reflection on players performances, particularly if you're not a midfielder.

Matt Priddis was good enough to be named the Fairest and Best player for the season but not good enough to be named in the All Australian side.

All Australian is just a battle to see how many midfielders they can squeeze into one 22.

It would have some meaning if they chose a side based purely on position.

Then what else would you suggest if you were coach as you must have some ideas to be so critical of Schofield - as Rome was never going to be built in a day no matter who the coach, however at least Schoey has them playing for him and having a dip - a lot more than whilst Simmo was still there for whatever reason.

Then what else would you suggest if you were coach as you must have some ideas to be so critical of Schofield - as Rome was never going to be built in a day no matter who the coach, however at least Schoey has them playing for him and having a dip - a lot more than whilst Simmo was still there for whatever reason.
How am I being critical? Please point it out because I dont believe I have been.

What motivation?
To impress a new coach. Certain players playing to save their careers.
Also, why do people on this board always try to do everything they can to not credit the head coach for any kind of success, no matter how small?
Hes doing great, far exceeding what I hoped for. I dont think we win both those games with Simmo.

I just dont think those wins can be attributed Schofield actually out-coaching the opponent in a tactical sense

I dont think there is much more he can do at all. Im not criticising him

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back