Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

All I'm saying is just because Schofield gets the guys motivated for the last few games of the year where we have beaten a team who hasn't won an away game in 2 years and a team lower than us on the ladder(we were fortunate here) both who are out of finals, doesnt mean he's the ideal candidate to take the job.

Ash Hansen or Montgomery could also have had the capability to do what Schofield did.

People are jumping the gun a bit here

Stop diminishing the last 2 wins.

Gold coast played for their season, the match was an extremely high pressure rating, we hit a season high insane 211 pressure ranking. At the game it felt like watching an elimination final. And GC followed up by knocking the bombers out of the finals AWAY from home.

We won in Tassie. First time in 6 years? Decent pressure rating match, both teams played to win.

Trew swap with Chesser isn't a huge call.
HJ was playing half back in the WAFL for a while I'm pretty sure.
JWilliams isn't a huge call either.
Duggan just swapped with Ginbey. Big call? Maybe, but it's 1 call not 2 calls. Duggan was already a contributor in the midfield at stages anyway.
Swapped Hunt and Cole. Hunt played at half back early in the season but it's a change.
Maric was wing under Simmo.

So it's 2 position swaps and dropping Chesser for Trew. A little more priority on the kids as he's not coaching to save his career too.

Idk he hasn't changed a whole lot tactically for me

Against GC, in the second half he switched Jack Williams up as first ruck, Bailey to second ruck, it made all the difference to stop getting smashed in the clearances.

In addition to above, which again you diminish not to be tactical changes made, he dropped J Jones and Darling, gave Dewar his first full games. Ginbey back has been massive. Cole on the wing surprisingly worked.

Just some first time changes, but IDK why you persisting against all evidence?

Regardless, we are going through a process, will pick the best available, so chill dude.

Stop diminishing the last 2 wins.

Gold coast played for their season, the match was an extremely high pressure rating, we hit a season high insane 211 pressure ranking. At the game it felt like watching an elimination final. And GC followed up by knocking the bombers out of the finals AWAY from home.

We won in Tassie. First time in 6 years? Decent pressure rating match, both teams played to win.
Gold Coast havent won an away game in nearly 2 years.
Theyre crap, they were never in the finals mix.
Once again, ive said im happy with what Schofield has brought and how hes got the guys playing.

Beating a team lower on the ladder than us that is worse on paper than us is nice, doing it away is nice. Realistically though we were the worse team on the day
Against GC, in the second half he switched Jack Williams up as first ruck, Bailey to second ruck, it made all the difference to stop getting smashed in the clearances.
this was a decent move
In addition to above, which again you diminish not to be tactical changes made, he dropped J Jones and Darling, gave Dewar his first full games. Ginbey back has been massive. Cole on the wing surprisingly worked.
Cole on the wing was part of the move of Hunt to half back. Its the 1 move as we have literally nobody outside Gaff or Hunt who can play wing anything resembling competent. Worked well, and I did mention it in other comments.
Just some first time changes, but IDK why you persisting against all evidence?

Regardless, we are going through a process, will pick the best available, so chill dude.
Im so chill rn?

A bunch of people are getting excited at ME

I dont know why people think im criticising Schofield lmao, im just not getting ahead of myself

What motivation?

Also, why do people on this board always try to do everything they can to not credit the head coach for any kind of success, no matter how small?
Because it’s easier to say the problem lies with one person so you can swap them out and have everything fixed, than it is to say we have a fundamentally flawed club in several facets that need a slow and painful solution.

Every board thinks their coach is using a sizeable % of the players wrong and does xyz wrong too, even when other fan bases hold that coach up as the bastion of great coaching. Easier to swap one dude out than 20+.

It’ll come for Schoey, and the next guy, and the next guy, just as it does for every head coach in every sport on earth.

Because it’s easier to say the problem lies with one person so you can swap them out and have everything fixed, than it is to say we have a fundamentally flawed club in several facets that need a slow and painful solution.

Every board thinks their coach is using a sizeable % of the players wrong and does xyz wrong too, even when other fan bases hold that coach up as the bastion of great coaching. Easier to swap one dude out than 20+.

It’ll come for Schoey, and the next guy, and the next guy, just as it does for every head coach in every sport on earth.
Oh I get that and agree with what you're saying, it just irks me that every success is attributed to someone else and every failure is on the head coach.

Can't have it both ways.

Oh I get that and agree with what you're saying, it just irks me that every success is attributed to someone else and every failure is on the head coach.

Can't have it both ways.
Speaking my language, mate.

On the above conversation - Schofield has done a lot to impress thus far, but it’s also fair to ask if other candidates might have done similar, or better, or worse, or how a nice two month tenure as interim coach translates to a years long vision towards our next flag.

All of these are fair questions without saying he’s doing nothing, or doing everything. But similarly, look at the player assessment (not just our board, every fan base does this). Superstar or spud, they’re your options.

The reality is we know very little in real time as to the inner workings, positional shifts, motivators on game day, which development coach brought the most out of this player and so on. Interviews or player testimonies fill us in after the fact, but directly attributing impact from such behind the scenes roles is hard.

So it’s just easiest to jump to the most comforting answer; turf one person and this will all be fixed. CEO, coach, list manager, whoever it is. My weekend hours are limited and dammit, somebody will answer for this. Repeat every year you don’t win the flag, and each time you win the flag is new ammo as to who was really pulling the strings. It’s a beautiful system.

Speaking my language, mate.

On the above conversation - Schofield has done a lot to impress thus far, but it’s also fair to ask if other candidates might have done similar, or better, or worse, or how a nice two month tenure as interim coach translates to a years long vision towards our next flag.

All of these are fair questions without saying he’s doing nothing, or doing everything. But similarly, look at the player assessment (not just our board, every fan base does this). Superstar or spud, they’re your options.

The reality is we know very little in real time as to the inner workings, positional shifts, motivators on game day, which development coach brought the most out of this player and so on. Interviews or player testimonies fill us in after the fact, but directly attributing impact from such behind the scenes roles is hard.

So it’s just easiest to jump to the most comforting answer; turf one person and this will all be fixed. CEO, coach, list manager, whoever it is. My weekend hours are limited and dammit, somebody will answer for this. Repeat every year you don’t win the flag, and each time you win the flag is new ammo as to who was really pulling the strings. It’s a beautiful system.

Sounds like Essendon's last 20 years minus a flag, lol, except they still held onto their 3 musketeers in Dodo, Sheedy and Barham.

May it continue for many years longer.

I'd like to know for sure what influence each line coach actually has on the way the players play.

Did Simpson have his entirely own gameplan, who plays what position, who rotates through the positions etc?

Coz if so that's fine, I have little apprehension about Schofield's application for the top job - assuming he was simply just a medium to convey Simpson's messages and tactics and that's it. Then he'd be bringing his own ideas to the above next preseason in regards to gameplan and player management.

But if he was deciding on those more specific parts and contributing more than just a suggestion here abd there then I'd be a bit concerned. Coz we stink/stank.

Unless you're Tim Gepp you can't answer this question with 100% certainty.
Yeah good call, hopefully the people at the club already know this answer because it's a going to be a big part of whether Schofield is a serious contender for the job.
FWIW I reckon Simpson was stubborn as **** and also a bit of a control freak so there's a fair chance our entire gameplan was from him.

Yeah good call, hopefully the people at the club already know this answer because it's a going to be a big part of whether Schofield is a serious contender for the job.
FWIW I reckon Simpson was stubborn as **** and also a bit of a control freak so there's a fair chance our entire gameplan was from him.

I'd honestly expect most head coaches to be control freaks.

Not for coach Kim Jong Un it doesn't!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, they should be right? At least in regard to how the team plays and who plays.

I would assume - especially when ultimately the buck stops with them in regards to things going wrong. I guess there are upper-management people that delegate and expect autonomy from their subordinates in other industries - its hard to know exactly how it works in an AFL club without someone actually saying so. (Tim Gepp)

The wins are secondary to me. Under Schofield there's been a stark improvement in the selection policy, player positioning, game day strategy and a lift in our general overall aggression. While I don't see us bouncing out of the mire next year (because our list is cooked), its an easier prospect to live with as finally the club has purpose.

Last edited:
The wins are secondary to me. Under Schofield there's been a stark improvement in the selection policy, player positioning, game day strategy and a lift in our general overall aggression. While I don't see us bouncing out of the mire next year because our list is cooked, its an easier prospect to live with as finally the club has clear direction.

I'm a big believer that if you are going to be shit, at least rail against it with all your being.

It's apathy and acceptance of being rubbish that really sucks all the enjoyment out of watching your side.

We will still miss basic kicks and handpasses. We will still get made to look silly by good players and good sides but at least when the group is cracking in - putting body on body, smothering kicks, flying the flag for each other - you know the players are invested and trying their best.

Not being any good you can take on the chin as a fan. Not trying is total bollocks.

I'm a big believer that if you are going to be shit, at least rail against it with all your being.

It's apathy and acceptance of being rubbish that really sucks all the enjoyment out of watching your side.

We will still miss basic kicks and handpasses. We will still get made to look silly by good players and good sides but at least when the group is cracking in - putting body on body, smothering kicks, flying the flag for each other - you know the players are invested and trying their best.

Not being any good you can take on the chin as a fan. Not trying is total bollocks.

The McGinnity Effect:tm:

The McGinnity Effect:tm:
199d4cd5be63c42ee953af460f982eba
tOUXhhHE.jpg

If you're gonna pot Peel for having an advantage re: Freo-listed players, you have to acknowledge the financial leg-up he had as coach at the time of Subi.
Was this in the no salary cap days and and a limit on AFL players. All funded by the deal in which Subi got Eagles tickets
which went back to the days of when the 2 tier was built at Subi. All the other clubs had to rely on chook raffles to raise money.
Even Scott Watters coached Subi to 2 premierships prior to Schofield. He turned out to be a great success at St Kilda.

Anyone have access?

Family’s preference is to stay in Victoria

Highly-rated Carlton assistant coach Ashley Hansen has dropped out of the race for the Eagles’ senior coaching job.
The Herald Sun can reveal the former premiership Eagle has respectfully informed West Coast he does not want to be part of the selection process due to his family’s strong preference to remain in Victoria.

Hansen, who coached Footscray to the VFL premiership in 2016, is also keen to remain at Carlton where he is enjoying his role as senior assistant coach.

Hansen, 41, joined the Blues at the end of 2021 after nine years at Western Bulldogs and has told Carlton in recent days he is committed to helping drive the club towards team success alongside coach Michael Voss.

While he does have ambitions to be a senior coach, Hansen has made clear he wants to continue to build his coaching repertoire and skillset at Ikon Park.

Hansen has also said his decision to remain at Carlton is not linked to the Eagles’ list or the state of the club’s rebuild, but is guided by his family’s preference to stay in Melbourne.

It is a major blow for West Coast as Hansen was considered one of the strongest candidates to win the senior coaching job and replace Adam Simpson permanently.

But the Eagles will have to look elsewhere after a series of withdrawals in the process from leading candidates including Sydney’s Dean Cox, Port Adelaide’s Josh Carr, Fremantle’s Jaymie Graham and ex-Collingwood boss Nathan Buckley.

It leaves interim senior coach Jarrad Schofield as the frontrunner to keep the job after leading the young Eagles to back-to-back wins over Gold Coast and North Melbourne over the past two weeks.

Schofield has said he is enjoying the senior coaching duties but the club is facing a significant rebuild to help lead the club up the ladder in coming years.

GWS Giants’ assistant coach Brett Montgomery, who is highly-rated as a strong tactician, is also in the mix, along with Collingwood assistant Scott Selwood.

But Schofield will have a golden chance to continue to impress in the role over the next two weeks in tough games against Carlton and Geelong.

The Eagles are also set to lose gun defender Tom Barrass to Hawthorn in this year’s trade period in exchange for at least one first-round draft pick.

The Hawks rise to eighth spot means the Eagles’ first pick is No. 11, which may not be enough to satisfy the Eagles on its own for Barrass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back