Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond knows last year clearly the worst gig ever
And as Keys astutely points out on Twitter - none of these guys applied for the Richmond job either. Let the hand wringing commence.

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

Seeing all the preferred candidates drop like flies.

I find it genuinely bizzare this many candidates have ruled themselves out of our head coaching role.

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

Seeing all the preferred candidates drop like flies.

I find it genuinely bizzare this many candidates have ruled themselves out of our head coaching role.
Probably happens every time.

They're just making a big deal out of it because it's easy to take pot shots at WCE from Vic.

Not one of Cox, Carr, Graham or Hansen applied for the Richmond job

People need to stop losing their shit because a prospect decides not to apply

Two of those four have a foot in the door of the head coach role as part of a succession plan at their current clubs

Jaymie Graham I don’t think was a serious contender and might have pulled out believing he wasn’t much of a chance after speaking with Pyke

Ash Hansen has family and isn’t interested in moving - his first child was born only last year so maybe his wife is unwilling to move away from her support network. These things happen

Still have several candidates who would make a good senior coach

We are going through a process of putting together a short list which means more potential coaches will be struck off. Some of them might say they’re not pursuing the job to protect future prospects of landing another job

No guts no glory. Smacks of comfort and not up for a challenge.
Yep, not everyone gets the Chris Scott handmedowns and inherits a AAA squad.

Very few coaches will leave on there own while still on-top, 99% get the sack. So if Cox/Hansen et al are waiting to step into the main job at their current club and be coaching finals straight away, Ive got bad news.

Agree with others saying we are far from a lost cause, let's be honest, we have bottomed out at the right time. The teams who will be in our current situation in the next couple years when Tasmania come in and pillage the draft will be in a way worse position than us.

At least Schofield looks, and talks, like he has the right attitude and up for the fight.

Just a thought - would they all be dropping out pre soft cap? Seems like no coaches want to come or stay long term in WA these days…

I think the soft cap would be more of a stumbling block securing assistant coaches who aren’t particularly well paid in comparison to others in the industry. Especially when workload is taken into account

The fact the soft cap is still more than 20% below pre Covid levels is a disgrace. Players have received an increase in the order of 30% to the salary cap

But the povo clubs continue to oppose any soft cap increase

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this tells me is Ash Hansen's family is WEAK and they're holding him back.

I said the same to my family when they tried to stop me from fulfilling my dream of going to clown college. I was less than happy when my 5 year old son told me I wouldn't even have to attend coz they'd give me an honorary doctorate based on life experience.

No big deal Hansen out, the highest qualified assistant available in Australia currently has the job and will also apply for it. So everything is all good still.

I do believe however something will be happening behind the scenes where a Chris Scott type may be contacted or head hunted at year end.

Who bloody knows.
We are still in a great spot to get the best credentials assistant in the country.

Last edited:

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’re in the process of extricating ourselves from a long term coaching appointment. Why would we immediately commit to another with a different coach

Whoever gets the job, a 3 year deal is fair

We’re in the process of extricating ourselves from a long term coaching appointment. Why would we immediately commit to another with a different coach

Whoever gets the job, a 3 year deal is fair
Because we could pay them out 2 months in without it making a dent if we wanted to. What's the point in having the most money in the comp if we're not going to use it? Not arguing whether Hinkley is it or not, but I'd be absolutely ropable if we didn't get who we thought was best purely for $ reasons.

All this tells me is Ash Hansen's family is WEAK and they're holding him back.

I said the same to my family when they tried to stop me from fulfilling my dream of going to clown college. I was less than happy when my 5 year old son told me I wouldn't even have to attend coz they'd give me an honorary doctorate based on life experience.
Is Harry Barnett Ash’s son by any chance?

'family reasons'...just an excuse... Has probably been told that we aren't interested in him... like Graham... But it does look a bunch of these assistants are pussies... Who's only inspiration is to be 'assistant coach '... And 'family men'/(give me a break)...

They might think that they look cool or something turning down a head coaching job...but in reality when another one pops up... Clubs would just think that these guys are soft

Id say give it to Schofield... Unless someone like Hird or something expresses an interest...

What motivation?

Also, why do people on this board always try to do everything they can to not credit the head coach for any kind of success, no matter how small?
Why do people on this board always try to do everything they can to protect the head coach, when the are performing terribly, no matter how badly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back