Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

'family reasons'...just an excuse... Has probably been told that we aren't interested in him... like Graham... But it does look a bunch of these assistants are pussies... Who's only inspiration is to be 'assistant coach '... And 'family men'/(give me a break)...

They might think that they look cool or something turning down a head coaching job...but in reality when another one pops up... Clubs would just think that these guys are soft

Id say give it to Schofield... Unless someone like Hird or something expresses an interest...
Oh boy, this post is straight out of the Vince McMahon meme.

IMG_0581.gif

Right now my preference is for either Schofield or Hickmott

Montgomery sounds like he might be good also but his family situation in Adelaide doesn’t sound ideal. Coaching as an assistant with your family in another state is one thing but doing that as a head coach would be incredibly difficult. And if his family moves there’s no guarantee they settle. In addition, it does sound like he’s very authoritarian which might sound good to some (and may be what the playing group need) but it’s a style that can go pear shaped quickly

Selwood is a danger of being too inexperienced

Giansiracusa and Skipworth might be fine but I don’t know much of either or if they’re interested

Others like Chaplin or Chris Newman might yet emerge as serious candidates as it’s still early days

So for now, I’m leaning to either Schofield or Hickmott

Right now my preference is for either Schofield or Hickmott

Montgomery sounds like he might be good also but his family situation in Adelaide doesn’t sound ideal. Coaching as an assistant with your family in another state is one thing but doing that as a head coach would be incredibly difficult. And if his family moves there’s no guarantee they settle. In addition, it does sound like he’s very authoritarian which might sound good to some (and may be what the playing group need) but it’s a style that can go pear shaped quickly

Selwood is a danger of being too inexperienced

Giansiracusa and Skipworth might be fine but I don’t know much of either or if they’re interested

Others like Chaplin or Chris Newman might yet emerge as serious candidates as it’s still early days

So for now, I’m leaning to either Schofield or Hickmott
If we land on schoey I'd be v keen on poaching Hickmott back

Interesting stuff.

Hansen is disappointing as he’s always been so highly rated. Probably likes his chances if Carlton do miss the finals and the power brokers turn on Voss, as they tend to do.

Next 2 weeks will tell the tale I think.

2 good performances to finish the year and Schofield will be in the box seat.

We are favourites now to beat Carlton - most (all) of that I think is driven by the Vic media absolutely death riding Carlton’s season - The Eagles getting that win would be pretty stunning - they could still quite easily put us to the sword in the middle of the ground, like many teams have done - including St Kilda only a matter of weeks ago under Schofield. Then of course comes the dreaded trip to Geelong. Win there and he can have a 5 year deal haha. Probably just aim not to get a 100 point kicking.

Brett Montgomery will be the one to watch I think. Sounds like a very Eagles choice. Would like his chances if the players don’t get it done for Schofield in the next 2 weeks and if GWS were to go deep in the finals.

Hansen is disappointing as he’s always been so highly rated. Probably likes his chances if Carlton do miss the finals and the power brokers turn on Voss, as they tend to do.
Would be pretty weird to turn down the WCE job because of job security, then take up a role at Carlton.

I dare say the reason coaches are pulling out (or not putting their hands into the ring) now likely has a bit to do with the current place in our list.

Despite the late season optimism, we still have a period of adjustment to come. Gov has been a rock in the back half, but realistically at 32 is now one big injury away from the end. Yeo, had a really good year but an uncertain prospect in terms of sustainability even if he has a contract to suggest otherwise. Barrass, likely on the way out, Ryan maybe as well. So some of our key senior players who have been terrific in guiding a young list and performing at a high level are no guarantees to be around which will likely have an impact on 2025 results.

Guys like Cox/Hansen will know the club as a whole (including us as fans) haven’t been super patient of coaches in rebuilds and will expect success quickly with a list that might not be able to deliver at this present moment.

However, In 2-3 years we will be a considerably more attractive proposition- 3-4 drafts in at the top end, Reid hopefully with 50-60 games in and in a similar position to the list Simmo took over with the young nucleus at the club.

For now, happy to support anyone who has a clear vision for the future with our current crew. It’s a journey, not a sprint. I wish whoever gets the job well because it’s going to come with some sleepless nights before it gets better IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d suggest it may have been the players, not the coach, phoning it in.
I agree.

From what I heard he had a really good relationship with the older boys but struggled to relate to the younger boys and had lost the group.

I don’t think you could convince Simmo of not giving everything, though. Just had nothing left to give.

I dunno, this is maybe an overly simple opinion but I don't like viewing a head coach as a 2-3 year stopgap until we attract someone more exciting who's happier to take over a list that's already gone through the muck before they get there.

Different if it's an experienced, Paul Roos type who is brought in with a succession plan and half their job being to 180 the clubwide culture - but like to think we're not that dire yet.

Am disappointed to miss out on the Hansen, Cox, Carr options but regardless if we do settle on Schofield or Montgomery or anyone as the best option I hope we're doing it with a mindset of backing them in long-term. Let them build a list and club over time with a 5 year plan minimum rather than be there to tread water until Reid and co get older.

(Not saying that if they do poorly I wouldn't want them out in 3 years but just hope that's not the mindset the selection panel is going in with at all).

Side note, as we're likely picking up a first time senior coach would love getting across an assistant (or coaching director) like a Ratten (or hell, if it's just coaching director even Woosha). Dunno how we actually swing that but especially if it's the internal appointment in Schofield think we desperately need someone with good experience joining Pyke in casting a critical eye over how we're running the coaching side of things.

I dunno, this is maybe an overly simple opinion but I don't like viewing a head coach as a 2-3 year stopgap until we attract someone more exciting who's happier to take over a list that's already gone through the muck before they get there.

Different if it's an experienced, Paul Roos type who is brought in with a succession plan and half their job being to 180 the clubwide culture - but like to think we're not that dire yet.

Am disappointed to miss out on the Hansen, Cox, Carr options but regardless if we do settle on Schofield or Montgomery or anyone as the best option I hope we're doing it with a mindset of backing them in long-term. Let them build a list and club over time with a 5 year plan minimum rather than be there to tread water until Reid and co get older.

(Not saying that if they do poorly I wouldn't want them out in 3 years but just hope that's not the mindset the selection panel is going in with at all).

Side note, as we're likely picking up a first time senior coach would love getting across an assistant (or coaching director) like a Ratten (or hell, if it's just coaching director even Woosha). Dunno how we actually swing that but especially if it's the internal appointment in Schofield think we desperately need someone with good experience joining Pyke in casting a critical eye over how we're running the coaching side of things.
To my point earlier, I don’t think we are viewing a coach as a stop gap. I think that potential coaches are viewing us in a “not now, but it will come around soon” mindset.

Coaches very rarely get a second shot at the top gig, so few are the opportunities. If there’s a chance it might be 2-3 years before you start to see any traction in results, that’s such a long time in footy, especially now with the almost 24 hour news cycle in footy. You run the risk of clubs getting impatient and moving you on having done all the hard work. It’s a cruel business, at times.

If you’re Ash Hansen, Dean Cox, sitting in cushy assistant roles with clubs in contention, there’s probably not much incentive to move across the country for us at the minute. Because if they do go now and it doesn’t work that’s more than likely it for their senior aspirations.

The club will have some work to do to sell us. But I think the right candidate will have done his homework anyway and will know we have some really good quality poking through. JWillo, Hough, Ginbey, Reid, Long, Maric all look like 150-200 gamers. Allen, Waterman are an excellent pairing up forward.

A new coach should unlock Chessers best footy, Hewett & Bazzo should get a clear run next year and become additional recruits as well. Yes our list will be more attractive in a couple of years. I hope whoever gets the role makes them regret not going for the role now.

Not that fussed so far:

Cox - Next in line for Sydney, makes sense
Carr - Next in line at Port, makes sense
Hansen - From what I've heard behind the scenes at Carlton is a shambles with massive issues between Voss and Russell, Russell has left and half the playing group at odds with it, maybe Hansen thinks that head job could come sooner rather than later

To my point earlier, I don’t think we are viewing a coach as a stop gap. I think that potential coaches are viewing us in a “not now, but it will come around soon” mindset.

Coaches very rarely get a second shot at the top gig, so few are the opportunities. If there’s a chance it might be 2-3 years before you start to see any traction in results, that’s such a long time in footy, especially now with the almost 24 hour news cycle in footy. You run the risk of clubs getting impatient and moving you on having done all the hard work. It’s a cruel business, at times.

If you’re Ash Hansen, Dean Cox, sitting in cushy assistant roles with clubs in contention, there’s probably not much incentive to move across the country for us at the minute. Because if they do go now and it doesn’t work that’s more than likely it for their senior aspirations.

The club will have some work to do to sell us. But I think the right candidate will have done his homework anyway and will know we have some really good quality poking through. JWillo, Hough, Ginbey, Reid, Long, Maric all look like 150-200 gamers. Allen, Waterman are an excellent pairing up forward.

A new coach should unlock Chessers best footy, Hewett & Bazzo should get a clear run next year and become additional recruits as well. Yes our list will be more attractive in a couple of years. I hope whoever gets the role makes them regret not going for the role now.
I think the successful coach (wins the job) will have an understanding of our list and potential. Understanding and selling this will be one of the key success factors at interview.

I don't care who we end up getting. I'm just glad Simmo's not there any more. That guy was beyond phoning it in after what we've seen from a Schofield coached team over the last six weeks.
This is a strange attitude. All teams have a bounce with a new coach. Getting tricked by that is a rookie mistake. We had a very good coach with Simmo and we need to get in another very good coach. It is very important we get this right.

If Schofield gets the job then we should try and hire the the 2 next best applicants as his assistants.
Schofield wouldn't attract the same salary as Simmo so we can use the savings to attract higher calibre assistants
to help him. We need to fast track our rebuild.
If we are experiencing a dead cat bounce then we need assistants in place who can take over.
With Knights leaving that would leave Webster as the senior assistant. Yuk !!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back